Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: A college student, a Tumblr blog, and a Getty letter  (Read 4625 times)

jmoney

• View Profile
A college student, a Tumblr blog, and a Getty letter
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was given a letter about 11 months ago like many others on this (great!) forum. My circumstances were this: I previously had a Tumblr blog hosted on my own domain name—in hindsight, it was a dumb move to expose my contact info, but still. I "reblogged" a post containing the offending image, meaning that a copy of an existing blog post and its contents were pasted onto my personal blog. The Tumblr Terms of Service at http://www.tumblr.com/policy/en/terms-of-service under §6 says that this action of reblogging is accepted, and it assumes that the original poster—not me—has the necessary rights to post the image. I'm only operating on the rights that Tumblr has defined. Thus, either the original poster didn't have the original Getty license, or the poster did obtain proper licensing and thus my post should be protected under the Tumblr Terms of Service. (I'm sure there are legal flaws in this logic.)

What's weirder and more confusing is that the standard cookie-cutter forms keep referencing me like I'm representing a company. I have emphasized the fact that I'm a college student with no organization, but—you could've guessed!—they don't care.

I received an email (no, not US mail!) trying to twist my aformentioned company (no, not me personally!) for money after no communication for about eight months. I have not negotiated pricing with them at all and, thanks to relying on the guidance of this forum, have avoided claiming any wrongdoing or any ownership of the image on my webservers.

My long-winded confusion is this: in the dynamic Tumblr blog setting run by a college student who is part of no company whatsoever... does anything change in terms of a rebuttal plan? And is flat-out ignoring the correspondence a reasonable idea?

Thanks for your input!

--
P.S.: Like I mentioned, I'm extremely glad to have found this forum. Nothing like a degrading, demoralizing process to help make an individual feel very low about himself... so my sincere thanks :)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: A college student, a Tumblr blog, and a Getty letter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »
Welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of settlement demand letters jmoney. Let me start off by saying that your situation is most likely nowhere near as bad as the emails you are receiving make it sound. So take a deep breath, relax and read on. I'm going to give you my general opinions based on the information you have provided. One thing that would help me give more detailed suggestions would be if I knew what the picture was of. For example, a picture of a sprinkler head is not going to have the same value as a picture of a person which may require a model release or a picture of a celebrity.

As far as the tumbler terms of service go they would work and be valid if the person from whom you reposted a blog had the necessary license to the image in question. Your story is a common one but the tumbler terms of service will not help when it comes to this as copyright infringement is a statutory offense, meaning it doesn't matter how the image got there you are liable. The person may or may not have had a license. Again, this may sound bad and scary like the emails you received but it is not, I'm just making you aware. Now let's look at options.

First off you have said all communication so far has been through email. You have said you have not negotiated pricing with them at all and have not admitted any wrongdoing or ownership of the image. Are you saying you have done this by ignoring them or you have responded to them and not mentioned these items? If you have ignored them and not replied to them I would continue ignoring it, as my opinion is I do not consider email a valid form of communication for this type of situation. It is acceptable if it is used as an expedient when followed up by a hard copy in the mail. If you have replied to them I would insist that all future communications be done through the regular postal service so you have hard copies of everything.

Assuming that you have communicated with them you have basically three options. First, you can ignore them from here on out, some people favor the school of thought.

Second, you can respond and engage them. This is usually my option in the majority of cases. There are several threads the forms detailing various methods of engagement. You can reply with a single letter demanding they provide proof that they have the right to collect on the image before continued negotiations all the way to fighting them back. I chose to respond to them, tried to negotiate in good faith and when they showed they were not willing to negotiate, provide the requested proof of claim then bullied and threatened I fought back hard. A complete detail of what I did may be found here:

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/an-experiment-against-getty/

The third option would be if you are worried about ignoring it, do not want to engage them then hire an attorney. If you are considering this option I highly recommend Oscar's defense letter program which you can find a link to on the home page. While I did not use Oscar's program and fought Getty myself, well over 800 people have used his program to date. Once Oscar, or any lawyer sends a letter stating they are representing you Getty may no longer contact you in any shape or form except through your lawyer.

Continue reading the forms, educating yourself and ask questions. I hope this helps and if you can provide some more detailed information I can provide more detailed responses.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

I was given a letter about 11 months ago like many others on this (great!) forum. My circumstances were this: I previously had a Tumblr blog hosted on my own domain name—in hindsight, it was a dumb move to expose my contact info, but still. I "reblogged" a post containing the offending image, meaning that a copy of an existing blog post and its contents were pasted onto my personal blog.
By 'pasting' to you mean the material was hyperlinked? or you copied stuff to the server that hosts your blog?  If it's hyperlinked this is very easy: no copying (as defined by our copyright statutes) was done.  So no copyright violation.  Period. If the later, things can become more complicated.  Any comments below are for the 'more complicated' issue.

The Tumblr Terms of Service at http://www.tumblr.com/policy/en/terms-of-service under §6 says that this action of reblogging is accepted, and it assumes that the original poster—not me—has the necessary rights to post the image. I'm only operating on the rights that Tumblr has defined. Thus, either the original poster didn't have the original Getty license, or the poster did obtain proper licensing and thus my post should be protected under the Tumblr Terms of Service. (I'm sure there are legal flaws in this logic.)
First: This could be useful if you were sued and had to defend, but it would be more useful from an "innocent infringer" defense (there by minimizing liability.) If Getty is not requesting takedowns form Tumbler, this could also be useful as it would show Getty doesn't try to enforce the license against places that have lots of copying but only little guys. This might both sway the judge to think less kindly of them, but also you might argue their behavior 'amounts to" seeding. (It isn't seeding directly unless they had a hand in getting the stuff up. But really.. they should to after Tumblr if they go after little guys.)

Second: Unfortunately, Tumblr's TOS cannot protect you as a matter of law itself. Tumblr TOS would be an agreement between the person who uploaded and Tumbler. That cannot deprive a copyright holder of his right through any agreement between Tumblr and someone who is neither the copyright owner nor the owner's representative..
What's weirder and more confusing is that the standard cookie-cutter forms keep referencing me like I'm representing a company. I have emphasized the fact that I'm a college student with no organization, but—you could've guessed!—they don't care.
This is typical. Most typical: All letters will be heavy and intimating. Getty probably will not sue.

I received an email (no, not US mail!) trying to twist my aformentioned company (no, not me personally!) for money after no communication for about eight months. I have not negotiated pricing with them at all and, thanks to relying on the guidance of this forum, have avoided claiming any wrongdoing or any ownership of the image on my webservers.

My long-winded confusion is this: in the dynamic Tumblr blog setting run by a college student who is part of no company whatsoever... does anything change in terms of a rebuttal plan? And is flat-out ignoring the correspondence a reasonable idea?
I"m not entirely clear what happened.  Having your own domain name makes things more dicey than running it under a tumblr.com address.  The most legally relevant issues are:
1) Did you, through your actions create a copy that is stored on a server that you 'control' in the sense of being able to copy things to that server and delete stuff from that server. (Or, did you only create a hyperlink.)
2) Do you even know if you created a copy vs. a hyperlink. (Some people using Pinterest probably don't know. Intial pinning does make a copy; repinning does not. But I think with Tumblr, often a copy is created by the person using their tool.)

Whether you own the server is probably not so relevant.

The difference these questions make is basically: Are you more like someone who hotlinked? Or are you more like someone who actually copied. 'Tumblr' TOS and other things don't matter so much-- what matters is whether you copied. If you hotlinked: Getty would lose any suit they might file, and they have good enough sense to not file it (especially if they know you know they would lose.)

That said: even in the event you copied, it is unlikely Getty will actually come after you for one image on an obscure blog run by a college student. They generally don't.

Thanks for your input!

--
P.S.: Like I mentioned, I'm extremely glad to have found this forum. Nothing like a degrading, demoralizing process to help make an individual feel very low about himself... so my sincere thanks :)

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
Wow - Lucia and Greg pretty much nailed it! Excellent responses that I am sure helped the poster understand his situation and options.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.