Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Advice for writing a disclaimer?  (Read 2153 times)

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
Advice for writing a disclaimer?
« on: September 09, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »

Okay, and thanks very much for everyone's help around here!

I run a pretty well read blog and have a lot of writers (100s) who have contributed over the years. Most of these are unpaid guests, a few are paid on occasion for special circumstances.  Most do their own writing without a great deal of oversight on my part. I have very strict rules about using images and ask them to clearly cite sources and so on.  In over 20,000 posts and 10+ years we've had exactly 2 incidents of copyright trolling - I mention this because I think it speaks highly of my commitment to doing this right.

Anyway... the first time I panicked and paid the troll.  Now we're on a second incident and I'll be damned if I do it again. 

My understanding based on everything I've read here is that I should be protected by the "safe harbor" clause of the DMCA on the grounds that images are not posted by me, no one is making money (in most cases) off posts, and I've immediately complied with the take downs I've received.

What I need help with is pretty simple - can someone recommend an experienced attorney who can look at my legal disclaimer page and verify that I've got my bases covered in terms of whatever legalese needs to be there to make this clear? Would Oscar be a good guy to do it?

Many thanks!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.