Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Alternative Source of Images to Getty Images: Shutterstock & Fotolia  (Read 5044 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
For years, people have asked the ELI Community where people can buy images that DON'T Support Getty Images.  As ELI Contributor, Jerry Witt, has pointed out, it is bad business to constantly threaten, extort, and sue your customer base. I wholeheartedly agree with Jerry.

For years, I had no "official endorsement or recommendation" because I really didn't know enough to make a recommendation.

I now have a "semi-official" ELI recommendation for people who really want and need to buy Images but DON'T want to give money to Getty Images or any of its affiliates.

The Seattle Times recently named their fiercest competitors that are winning market share against the lumbering Getty Images.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/getty-attempts-to-sharpen-its-focus/

My first choice would be Shutterstock.

My second choice would be Fotolia (owned by Adobe).  I am not crazy about Adobe but I would rather give them the business than Getty Images.

The goal is to help commoditize (cheapen) stock imagery and help Getty Images further burn through their stash of cash.  And all of you can use imagery legally and inexpensively.  By redirecting all monies AWAY from Getty Images and by telling everyone of their extortionate ways, there is a very real possibility that the negative publicity, and the thousands of people they have pissed off and extorted over the years will help burn through the remaining cash they have by 2016. That will help put Getty Images out of their misery.

http://www.seattletimes.com/news/getty-images-said-to-run-tight-on-cash-as-profit-drops/

I said years ago, I am happy to have ELI shut down if Getty Images were to be killed off or crippled enough where someone swallows them up. It is quite encouraging for the Seattle Times to report on the cash burning months they have been happening.

They managed to extort millions of dollars of cash from thousands of people.  It is only fitting to see the competitive marketplace (lead by Fotolia and Shutterstock) put them out of their misery.

For me, it is "GO SHUTTERSTOCK!" until something better comes along.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Alternative Source of Images to Getty Images: Shutterstock & Fotolia
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
Amen, Brother.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Another excellent choice is www.pond5.com.  Their prices are very good and have no affiliations with Getty.  This is where I get my images from and have been very happy with the quality, service and price.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 12:35:06 AM »
Greg is correct in that Pond5.com has been brought up before.  I was informed by Greg that Pond5.com was one of those recommended by ELI Contributor, Jerry Witt.

I am going to check it out based on Greg's personal recommendations.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:07:41 PM »
I have an update. I would like to add my vote to CanStockPhoto and Pond5.

I am taking a liking to CanStockPhoto since they have good pricing (if you use their credit system) but will also give waivers for credit and attribution. I obtained mine in writing by simply email them through their tech support page.

Section 6: Credit Attribution
If the Content is used in print media in Journalistic Usage, the credit line "© Can Stock Photo Inc. / [Artist’s username]" must appear adjacent to the Content. If the Content is used in a film, television production, documentary, or similar audio/visual or multimedia product in a Journalistic Usage, the credit line “© Can Stock Photo Inc. / [Artist’s username]” must appear in the audio/visual production credits. If the Content is used online in a Journalistic Usage, a link to www.canstockphoto.com shall appear adjacent to the Content. Omission of this link shall not constitute a breach of the terms of this Agreement provided that Licensee remedies such omission upon request from Licensor. Licensor may waive this credit line or link requirement, upon request, via email or other writing.

We kindly ask that you include a short artist credit if you are using the file in an journalistic manner (e.g. newspaper articles, blog posts), or for TV/movie use. If you ask us nicely, we might waive this requirement. A credit is NOT required for any other usage (books, advertising, decoration, website design, etc), although it’s appreciated!
=========

In the fine print, many stock photo companies require you to give attribution to the company and the copyright owner even if it is just a blog post. I didn't care for that very much. Pond5 wants you to credit to imaged used in editorial uses but in my phone call with them, they seemed to allow latitude. She told me that if a link isn't practical, a text notation should be fine.

==========

8. Credit Attribution.
If the Content is used in an editorial context in a Production that is posted online, you will accompany the Production with a credit line hyperlink to www.pond5.com that reads "Stock media provided by [Content contributor Name]/ Pond5" or substantively similar language.

For all other Productions incorporating the Content where crediting is customary or where other such credits are provided, you will use your reasonable commercial efforts to accompany the Production with a credit line that reads "Stock media provided by [Content contributor Name]/ Pond5" or substantively similar language.

The unintentional omission of credit attribution provided for above will not be considered to be a breach of this Agreement as long as you promptly cure the same upon written notice.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.