Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: And Yet Another Masterfile Extortion Letter!  (Read 4365 times)

Edge

• View Profile
And Yet Another Masterfile Extortion Letter!
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:10:20 PM »
And Yet Another Masterfile Extortion Letter!

Well, it’s not hard to find information about these Masterfile folks… I got one of those FedEx letters today - -complete shock.

Several years ago I bought a software application from an organization that had images included in the standard template provided. I was unable to get the software to function properly as there were many security and functional problems, so I never used the software and standard images provided.

Fast forward to thirty days ago, I created a new webpage and used one of the images provided with the discarded software. Thought it was a good fit.

And – the infamous FedEx letter arrives... Anyway, I called and explained that I take copyright infringement seriously and where I got the image file. Masterfile representative Geoffrey Beal got serious quickly and I politely explained I wasn’t paying the extortion rate they requested $8520 for two images.

Actually, the template image I got with the software was only one image however it appears that somebody spliced the two together (or maybe broke the original into two images for publish on Masterfile).

Anyway, he indicated that this was the first step… After concluding the phone call I emailed Mr. Beal the following:

Dear Geoffrey Beal,

Thank you for informing XXXXX XXXX of a possible copyright issue.
The images in question where provided to XXXXX XXXX as part of a standard web template by the (company) Organization (www.company).

The original software file package provided to XXXXX XXXX is attached to this email.
Though it is not clear to XXXXX XXXX whom is the original copyright owner of the indicated images, I will be removing the images from my website. 

All the best,
Signed by me

Anyway, I have contacted a local copyright attorney and am scheduled to meet next week.

I fully understand the issues, challenges and frustration one has with copyright infringement as I chase infringers around all the time. But, firing a first warning shot for $8520 seems way excessive and asking for a fight. In fact, from all I have read this is likely the business model of Masterfile.

I immediately removed the images, also I see no evidence Masterfile owns the copyright.

I’ll be ready.

stinger

• View Profile
Re: And Yet Another Masterfile Extortion Letter!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
That's the spirit Edge!  You have the right attitude and, I expect, you will prevail.

My only advice would be to keep all communications written - not email, but signed and posted letters.  No phone conversations.  Admit nothing.  A lot of what these guys do is phishing for information that can hurt you.

And I agree with you that it probably is their business model.

Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
"My only advice would be to keep all communications written - not email, but signed and posted letters. "

Yes, you’re right about emails and phone calls. My call and email was an attempt at good faith and I had not Google’d these guys yet and found this website and others.

Had I already known about these guys they would have not got that courtesy.

Copyright is a serious matter and should be respected; however in my case I doubt this is about copyright this is most likely about whatever money they can squeeze out of victims.

I’ll keep monitoring this website and post all new events.

I absolutely despise unethical organizations and individuals…

Edge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »
After seeing a discussion on how Getty is now allowing image embeds I thought I would come back and update this thread.
I have not heard a word, letter - nothing from Master file since my return email stating the facts about where I got the image.

As stated above the images I was accused of using without permission came with a licensed software package I purchased.  I did meet with a lawyer to discuss the facts and the letter I received from Masterfile a couple of weeks after I received the extortion email. The lawyer at that time did assure me that I had done nothing wrong and the case was an easy defend.

For reference the copyright agreement that came with the software explicitly indicated that use of the images provided by the software had no bounds (or equivalent it’s been a long time).  I still keep a file on the issue including original copy of software and copies of many websites using the stock image with their copy of the purchased software.

After learning about the extensive extortion activity of the stock image industry I still do not and will never use a purchased stock image.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.