Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Anyone hear of Adlife from RI?  (Read 9704 times)

LizK

• View Profile
Anyone hear of Adlife from RI?
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:58:19 PM »
I received an extortion letter from a company called Adlife Marketing & Communications for a photography copyright infringement.   They want $8,000 for an image I used in 2010, and which I am fairly certain I paid for through a stock site, it's been so long ago. 

Never heard of this company but it sounds like the same stuff of Getty.  I'm using this site to educate myself. 

Has anyone heard of this company?

Cam Winston

• View Profile
Re: Anyone hear of Adlife from RI?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »
8k huh, they must be pretty proud of that image. Appears to be a company that specializes in the supermarket industry branding space.

Was it sent from them directly or a firm working on their behalf? Getty sometimes uses the names of their mutual photo agencies instead of their own (Gee, I wonder why?).

With that said, anyone can get a subscription of the picscout software (owned by our hero), and look for their "licensed" work. I am thinking about doing this, I sure as hell own many famous works, including several shades of purple, Joseph Rosenthal's photograph "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima", and the famous photo of Albert Einstein sticking his tongue out.

Sorry the for snark, but it seems entirely appropriate when discussing some of these license trolls.

Look for a catalog number or do a reverse image search i.e. tineye if you have not already, might yield more information.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:00:06 PM »
I too, am curious if the demand letter came from LCS?? I see that Adlife has some recent entries in PACER in regards to lawsuits filed, but I haven't looked into them further as of yet. As already stated, do a revrse image search and determine if this image is availalbe t license elsewhere, if it is the onus is on AdLife to prove their case....whos's to say you did not purchase it elsewhere??
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

ChipECM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:18:26 PM »
I was using these forums to educate myself and didn't see any post about Adlife before I responded to them saying it was not intentional and has been removed immediately upon notice. They were asking 8k for an image used in 2012. The letter was sent directly from their office.

I looked up the website where they stated the price came from (8k for exclusive use per image) - it features stock food photography and was created in March 2016 according to ICANN. Looks like their photos were bought in collections and registered between July 2016 to now in bundles (though the photos were created between 2005-2007 according to copyright.gov). So...at the time of supposed infringement, the image was not registered and was only "discovered" recently, as they were in the midst of registering it. Looks to me like they were buying up and registering photos for the purpose of dropping infringement letters on people.

In a shady case like this, what steps can be taken? Should I be worried about an actual lawsuit being filed?

Cam Winston

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »
It sounds like you have done your homework! You probably know the answer to your question.

High settlement offer, lots of recent filed cases, etc. I would talk to a lawyer, someone specialized in IP law like Oscar. That is just my opinion, but I am sure others might have better insight as I am still educating myself about the subject.

The case search shows an obvious pattern.

https://dockets.justia.com/search?parties=Adlife+Marketing+%26+Communications&cases=mostrecent

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »
I'd like to see a copy of that extortion letter if you would like to email it to me: matt30060 / gmail.

I received an extortion letter from a company called Adlife Marketing & Communications for a photography copyright infringement.   They want $8,000 for an image I used in 2010, and which I am fairly certain I paid for through a stock site, it's been so long ago. 
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

ChipECM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 01:34:09 PM »
I'd like to see a copy of that extortion letter if you would like to email it to me: matt30060 / gmail.

I'm not the original poster but could I forward you a copy since I received one from them as well?

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
The "obvious" pattern being that they are suing larger, more traditional businesses, not smaller parties. Of course, that can always change but that is what I see in that list.

The case search shows an obvious pattern.

https://dockets.justia.com/search?parties=Adlife+Marketing+%26+Communications&cases=mostrecent
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Cam Winston

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 07:06:07 PM »
The "obvious" pattern being that they are suing larger, more traditional businesses, not smaller parties. Of course, that can always change but that is what I see in that list.

You make a good point, it will be interesting to see if they go after smaller parties, if any exist.

amelsor0

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »
i have just received a letter as well asking for 8,000. is this a real concern or not? please help folks im new to this area and have no where else to turn.

1- how can they prove its their own image in the first place....? i tineeyed it and it seems the links to original stock images are being removed so im guessing this scam agency is now buying rights to some images and making everyone who use them a target.

2- how likely is it for them to file suit in another state?

3- they are saying if you dont pay in 10 days we will press charges, should i just ignore it? i have received scam notices before but this seems a little scary to be honest.

please help me, i have no where else to turn to or ask about these things. a lawyer is too expensive and i dont want to make the matter big.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:22:43 PM by amelsor0 »

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
There are common strategies every copyright extortionist uses:

1. They depend on people's ignorance of the legal system. Most people are legally illiterate.  They cannot "press charges" because this is a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

2. Most people are unaccustomed to legal conflict and go to the natural tendency of fear.  Some degree of fear is okay but some people are irrationally fearful.

3. A lawsuit is certainly inconvenient. An out of state lawsuit is even more inconvenient.  A copyright infringement lawsuit requires it to be filed in a federal court.  However, the people who have the least are often the least likely to receive a lawsuit.  Also, a "win" generally means a "paper win" not general a practical win in that they actually get money.  That is why lawsuits in smaller cases never go "all the way".

4. Persistence is their best weapon to psychologically wear down victims.  It is an inexpensive strategy to send periodic letters and emails.

5. Filing lawsuits are expensive and require real money. It is also fraught with uncertainty. As such, it is a last resort. Time is on the accused side upon receiving the initial letter.

And regarding support, the forum info is free but it is limited and not customized. I am not a lawyer but I probably know more about this matter than most lawyers in the U.S.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/eli-phone-support-call-with-matthew-chan/

There is no one definitive recommendation because people have different resources, capabilities, and risk tolerances.  However, the cheapest way if money is an issue is to ignore it for 3 years. It isn't necessarily what I would personally do because it has pros and cons but it is a legit strategy.  You can't go to jail by not responding. There are additional things that can be done but I have given some broad strokes.

genovese

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 03:56:28 PM »
My client received the same exact letter from Adlife about an image I purchased in 2012 for their website. Same $8,000 request. Contacted the photo stock house I bought it from, they sent to me a screen shot of my purchase. Emailed Adlife back with a cease and desist note.
Do your investigation, these are scammers that count on your records being lost or forgotten. The photo house is aware about this and they are currently taking legal action. So, no matter what, I wouldn't pay a dime.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »

2- how likely is it for them to file suit in another state?

They would HAVE to file suit in your state, and as mentioned in Federal Court..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

justaguyinthesky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 06:52:16 PM »
I got one of these letter from these scamming opportunistic pieces of shit Joel Abrizio & his son ... what a shit team. Here's what you do:

1) Ignore it and do not engage them. They cannot sue you for this as you legally licensed the image via iStock.
-or-
2) Contact iStock photo with your demand letter. they will walk you through how to get them to go away & provide you with language from their legal team if you would like to send it to AdLife.

AdLife was an iStock contributor and pulled all their content a while back. They are searching the internet for these images so they can falsely send demand letters and scare people into paying.

SCAM!!!!

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 07:25:17 PM »
I am getting some new information about Adlife Marketing & Communications and how they operate. A big part of this new information is coming in from outside reports in response to Robert's recent posts about Joel Albrizio.

There is information I have that I cannot report but I believe Robert is working on it.

http://copyright-trolls.com/site/adlife-marketing-ceo-joel-abrizio-reaches-out-to-yours-truly/

However, one theme has surfaced.  A couple of people report that images legitimately obtained from iStock but still getting Adlife extortion letters. Not a good thing to happen and causing all kinds of stress to people.

Do your homework!

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.