Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Article: "Everyone's the competition"  (Read 3268 times)

Engel Nyst

• View Profile
Article: "Everyone's the competition"
« on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
A good read on the web:
http://www.project-disco.org/intellectual-property/081916-shot-iphone-6-everyones-competition/

While professional photographers might not agree with everything and even when they do, they might hate it, the situation as presented in this article seems to me worth thinking about. It's pretty simple really. We have the tools to make ourselves "good enough" photos for a wide range of purposes. While those are not all purposes, they are only increasing with technology.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Article: "Everyone's the competition"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
I like the word "disruption" because that is what technology does. I have been saying for years that many of these stock photography businesses have a DEPRECIATING asset portfolio. There is a glut because the barrier of entry is so low with good cameras coming down and the quality going up.  For years, I carried a separate digital camera from my phone because the phone cameras were so bad. I also had a separate camcorder. For me, my Nexus 6 phone finally turned the tide this year. The quality of video and images are so good, I no longer feel the need to carry either a camcorder or digital camera. It is amazing. I have also seen some good looking videos and photos taken by other people using camera phones.  It is crazy the stuff that can be created now.

The Internet and technology continues to disrupt all industries including professional photography. Many professional photographers thumb their nose downs against non-pros who subscribe to "good enough" photography. They can thumb their nose down all they want or they can try to win these folks back.

There is still a place for professional photography services but it isn't the onerous terms and prices that many peddle. They have a right to peddle onerous terms and prices just like we have the right to "just say no" and seek out lower-cost alternatives.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.