Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Big Change at Getty -- Free Use  (Read 11232 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Big Change at Getty -- Free Use
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
Lucia if you ever need bird images for reference, hit my photoblog! : )   I'll even let you use them, FREE no strings attatched, no nasty-grams either!

palmbeachdns.com/wp
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 02:21:53 PM »
It was just one of those things were someone said "what do those look like?" So, I found an image and hotlinked.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
Yes I know I was just being snarky..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 05:49:10 PM »
I didn't think it was snarky.  This would be snarky:

http://bit.ly/1ikAOjG

lol :)

Yes I know I was just being snarky..

canuckistan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
I'm generally inclined to agree with others here that this is far from a change of heart at Getty, but if it catches on it does give them the option of shutting the image down when they think the use is commercial. Personally I think this looks like a death knell for the extortion letters -- after all under this scheme they now have complete control over whether an image is displayed. It's going to be hard to send a demand letter for that!

Instead I think they'll take a broad and inconsistent approach, sending letters telling people "hey if you want our wonderful, glorious image back on your site, just send us $400". I think they're going to find that approach less fruitful than they expect but we'll have to wait and see.

One of the personal ironies in this is I'm also a pretty decent photographer. I pulled my stock from iStockphoto when Getty acquired them (moved to Dreamstime). I've since had two invitations to list with Getty (both before I got my very own demand letter for my business site). Both times I'd told them that hell would have to freeze over twice before I'd let criminals represent my work.

Lastly this should be on my other thread, but I'll keep it brief: I had a lawyer look at my approach of billing Getty for responding to their demand letters. His only advice was that I bill for time spent researching and preparing the letter, rather than for the letter itself. Other than that his comment was "a judge would probably find these costs quite reasonable". So if they continue with their extortions, don't forget to bill for every minute you spend reading these forums! In my case they went quiet just after I sent them registered mail indicating that they now owe me more than they claim I owe them!

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
I have not read the TOS for Getty's new program.  Does it say what the penalties are for a commercial violation?  Just wondering if they are going to use the TOS that you agreed to as a club to aid in collection/suits.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:07 PM »
I didn't see any monetary penalties for violating TOS. Also, unlike copyright, there are no specific statutory penalties. So it's not clear Getty could do much beyond decreeing you can't use their embed tool anymore and/or prevent your domain from hotlinking.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
Thanks Lucia!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.