Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: BWP Media Sanders Law  (Read 4423 times)

allenrocks

• View Profile
BWP Media Sanders Law
« on: February 22, 2016, 04:49:06 PM »
I used to run a pop culture blog and embedded an image of a celebrity on the site several year ago. I received an email in August 2014 from them and called them. I talked to a guy and after a long discussion he said if I took the image down it would be cool. I took the post down and didn't hear back. Then two weeks ago I started getting emails from Stacy a paralegal at Sanders Law.

I called her and told her I had talked to someone about the image and took the post down. She said it didn't matter and I needed to settle for several hundred dollars. I told her I would get back to her. She called back a few days later and I told her I didn't appreciate getting shaken down and she said I had until the next business day to let her know who my attorney was or she was going to go ahead with litigation.

I exchanged emails with my attorney the next day and he said he would get back to me after he researched it. That was a few days ago and I hadn't heard back from him yet. Today I got another email from Stacy saying that since I rejected their settlement offer of $1,300 it was now null and void. (It was only a few hundred two weeks ago when we talked initially). She then said that the complaint would be filed by the end of the week and again asked me for the info for my attorney.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't heard back from my attorney yet and I'm not sure when I will. He's a busy guy but Sanders is being so pushy I don't know what to do. I've read that they have been filing cases recently.

They sent me a screengrab of the my site but I know the pic was embedded and not uploaded to my servers. From what I understand this is perfectly legal.

Any advice?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: BWP Media Sanders Law
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »
They don't typically file lawsuits that quickly. It is an intimidation tactic designed to "motivate" a response.

And whether they file a lawsuit against YOU in particular depends on whether you APPEAR to be a "juicy" target.

There are a lot of factors to consider in determining whether or not you will be a legitimate lawsuit target.

And they may turn you down now, but they could also be motivated otherwise if the right message is conveyed to them. It depends on the type of lawyer you have and how strong your personality is.

If your image was "hotllinked", then they have little to claim against you but you might need to communicate it to them and then stand your ground.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:50:46 PM »
I agree with Matthew, if you hot linked the video you should be fine.  Let them know it was never on your servers.  They may still harass you as it is just about the money for them but if you can prove it was hot linked you should be in the clear, in my opinion.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
yes I'm a rebel!, if it were me and the image was hot linked and not residing n your servers, I would put it back, and tell them t pound salt.. If you want to send me the link to the iage in question, I'll gladly link to it n my blog, just to bust their balls...cause I'm nice like that.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
Yes, Robert does get into one of his moods where he wants to stick his middle finger up at these people!  LOL.

yes I'm a rebel!, if it were me and the image was hot linked and not residing n your servers, I would put it back, and tell them t pound salt.. If you want to send me the link to the iage in question, I'll gladly link to it n my blog, just to bust their balls...cause I'm nice like that.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Drew Black

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »
My company is unfortunately the target of a BWP Media/PCN lawsuit.  They're seeking $2.4M in compensation in a suit filed in the Central District of CA.  We're in the adult entertainment industry so I won't post any links.  But I can say that Matthew has been extremely helpful during this process and has kept me calm and focused.  I don't know what I would have done without ExtortionLetterInfo as a resource.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.