Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Cached webpages - Copyright infringement?  (Read 2552 times)

potty

• View Profile
Cached webpages - Copyright infringement?
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
Dear Sirs/Madams,

Basically i bought a website/forum a year ago, and everything appeared to be alright, however recently we have had letters from various copyright holders, stating we have breached copyright and to remove pictures/articles from our website or face court action.

We put our hands up, we should have done due diligence before we bought the site, however we have removed loads of images and articles from our site, replied to the various copyright holders, and have heard nothing since.

However these articles/images still appear as cached webpages via google, will this still be seen as copyright infringement?  We have asked google to remove the cached pages but so far they have refused. Are cached pages something that i should worry about in terms of upsetting copyright holders? Or will they be happy that i removed the material from my site and that's the end of the matter?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Cached webpages - Copyright infringement?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:42 AM »
Cached webpages could be seen as EVIDENCE of copyright infringement. The most important thing we tell ELI readers is that if you think there is content you have that was not properly purchased or licensed, just take it down.  It is the simplest piece of advice we can give.

When someone makes the claim, the easiest thing to do is to comply. Having said that, there are also many people who ABUSE the copyright claim and think they are automatically entitled to money. That is NOT true which is why ELI exists to begin with.

Google cached pages will eventually disappear after a certain period of time once Google is convinced the content has been removed "permanently".  If you have done your part in removing the content, the Google cache pages is largely a non-issue.  I would say that most accusers are NOT going to fuss about the Google cache pages. And even if they did, it is beyond YOUR control. They can take it up with Google themselves. But, in my view, that is a waste of time.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.