Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Client Received Letter, now what?  (Read 2676 times)

Venture1

• View Profile
Client Received Letter, now what?
« on: December 21, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »
First, thank you guys for having this forum and doing what you do.  It's nice to know there's people out there fighting this. 

So my client got a letter yesterday demanding $1,140 in damages for 1 image (442 x 295 pixels).  I can't remember if the photo came with the template we purchased or the image was found by one of our interns.  The problem is I have no proof even if we did buy it legally.  I'm wondering what steps to take next.  I'd like to insulate my client from having to deal with this as well. 

I've tried to read as much info as possible but I'm finding it hard to plan what steps to take.  Can anyone recommend how to proceed? 

(By the way, the website is owned by a recently widowed sole proprietor and gets maybe 10 to 12 visits a month.  Really small time.)

Thanks! 

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Client Received Letter, now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Copyright Extortion. Continue to read and educate yourself.  The only way to insulate your client so they are not bothered is for you to have an attorney send a letter to Getty.  Then they can no longer contact your client. Our legal advisor Oscar Michelen has a defense letter program that works extremely well in cases like this. 

Your other options are to pay the full amount yourself

Write to Getty yourself but if you do not pay the amount they are asking they will start sending letters to your client.

Retain an attorney or use Oscar's program.

Have your client do one of the steps above.

I would educate yourself first before contacting them if you chose that route.  Read the forums and ask questions.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.