Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copyright Infringement Claim  (Read 37196 times)

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Copyright Infringement Claim
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
I suggest you research this topic on this forum.  Multiple court jurisdictions have ruled that hot linking is NOT copyright infringement.  I am not a lawyer, but I would guess a plug-in is a lot like lot linking.  If the image in question has never been hosted on your site, I would think you are on strong legal ground.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 11:50:14 PM »
Stinger is correct if by "pulled" you mean the image is hotlink, if it is downloaded to your server then that is a different story.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 10:56:15 AM »
I recently received a similar letter. However mine was a very odd situation. I am using a plugin that pulls photos and displays them from Instagram based on whatever hashtag I want to show photos from. So basically a Instagram user took a photo of a supposedly copyrighted photo and posted it on Instagram. My website then showed that photo for probably 30 minutes (popular hashtag) but yet I am the one they are trying to get pay $500. I am curious from the others that received this letter, what ever happened? Did you ignore it, pay it, how did you respond, and how did they respond? Seems like a scam, but I did call and talk to a human, so I'm not sure now... Thanks!

Tell them to pound sand, the image was never stored or "copied" on your server, it came in through a feed. Tell them you will be invoicing them every single time you have to address this, mail it to them signed/certified mail, in the letter state you expect a reply that they are releasing this claim within 10days, if no reply is recieved, then you assume they agree to YOUR terms, and you can then send an invoice!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.