Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copyright Office Resurrects Troubling Plan To Strip Websites Of 512 Safe Harbor  (Read 2831 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Well the positives of this are pretty obvious...much lower cost, and streamlined automated process..where I see issues that should be addressed:

1. existing registered agents should be moved into the new system, hell they already paid the 105.00 or more, IMHO they should be grandfathered in and not have to renew.

2. An option should be offered to designate an agent for various time frames,much like registering domains, for example have a 3yr., 5y.r, 10yr., lifetime option, and adjust the cost accordingly. While offering the ability to change account info and assign a new agent if need be.

3.  There should be a "grace period" if the agent expires say 30, 60, or 90 days.

4. Each record should indicate when the initial registered agent was assigned, along with dates of renewals, including all current agents in the existing database, trolls will jump the ones, that go into the new system, which does not show the original dates, and claim that there was no valid agent at time of discovery.

Most of the general public don't even know about DMCA, registered agents, or other legal aspects, and most probably don't care, until it's too late, which is unfortunate. Ideally I would like to see domain registars, offer up the option to designate a registered agent up domain registration, but that will never happen, as it only applies to US companies/individuals. This way it can easily be renewed along with your domain in one shot..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Robert,

I really like the idea of the domain registrars offering the option to designate an agent.  I like that idea a lot.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.