Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Copyright Troll Carolyn Wright, welcomes new trolls  (Read 8399 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Copyright Troll Carolyn Wright, welcomes new trolls
« on: May 19, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »
From photoattorney.com ( April 2012)

"The Law Office of Carolyn E. Wright, LLC proudly announces that it has expanded its team to better serve the legal needs of photographers. Specifically, in addition to Carolyn and Evan, Leslie Burns now will work full-time to protect photographer’s rights. Attorneys Cindy Hsu and Earl Richardson also have joined the group"

I guess we can expect another extortion letter from the newest copyright troll in the near future..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Copyright Troll Carolyn Wright, welcomes new trolls
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
It will just be the same crap different troll. 

I see that we have pictures posted in some of the other threads so we can associate faces with the names of some of these people.  I must say the images were not what I was expecting.  I pictured more of the old gangster movies, the guy in the pin stripe suit with the fedora hat leaning against the lamppost saying “Hey bud, comere.”   You know, they one who wanted shop keepers to pay for insurance so nothing “bad” would happen.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »
I pictured more of the old gangster movies, the guy in the pin stripe suit with the fedora hat leaning against the lamppost saying “Hey bud, comere.”   You know, they one who wanted shop keepers to pay for insurance so nothing “bad” would happen.

Exactly... the men who had the balls to stick a gun in your face when trying to extract big sums of money out of you.

We letter recipients of course deal with trolls of a different nature. We are confronted by regular people who are apparently without conscience or courage but who are comfortable lying and trying to use the courts to buttress their extrajudicial business scheme to extract big sums of money.

Like most dishonest people (sociopaths and psychopaths excepted) these copyright trolls become less comfortable when their names and images are made public.

As well they should.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »
We do not want to insult sociopaths and psychopaths by putting them on the same level as copyright trolls.  :)  Seriously though Mulligan, I agree with you.

Like most dishonest people (sociopaths and psychopaths excepted) these copyright trolls become less comfortable when their names and images are made public.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Little BigHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
Ms Burns has been with Ms Wright since 2011, and she is just another parasite bully. She reduced her demands by more than $4000 with me over an extended period. She cant practice in most states, which means she needs to refer to it to someone, and give up a big referral fee, so many in the jurisdiction she needs to litigate in have no interest with a small payout, insufficient week supporting facts, that would require expensive investigations that often yield insufficient facts for a conviction, and even a conviction then allows the judge to consider the totality of facts, the level and intent of the abuse, and then decide what if anything needs to levied against the defendant. A ton of expensive and time consuming efforts for the accusing attorney to prove what is typically an innocent act, with no intent to deprive anyone of anything. Even when its a registered copyright, many judges, with the numbers increasing daily, have said the fine should still be based on a consideration of the actual value and loss to the photographer, not some statutory amount that ignores the facts.  Check the federal district court where it would go, as some have made it very clear they aren't going to allow this BS in their court. Before I write a check, I will go to court and leave justice in the hands of the judge. I can live with their decision, I can't live with hers. In our jurisdiction, it is clear, as they have already come down on one attorney for using the fed courts for frivolous suits and he is looking at some punitive actions pending an appeal and generating supporting letters from other parasite CP trolls who work the area. Don't answer her, and just go to court when and if you get a subpoena - more a possibility than a probability if you did not profit and abuse the law (as per my opinion - not legal advice). They send out hundreds, if not thousands of these extortion letters, and if you answer you go into the pile that they will continue to pursue as your answer infers concern, remorse, etc...and someone who wants the invisible monkey off their back. There is no monkey on your back and nothing to negotiate until a motion is filed. There is justice in court, and no justice in the "Wright House". If you seriously abused someone elses rights, and profited on them, then that is a different story. But they don't care about that, they want to squeeze you. Most of these photographers sign a retainer looking for anything they can get from the atty, but also make it clear they don't want to travel and litigate over bullshit. Wrights website list those photographers that have litigated on these matters, so check and see if your Bozo is a litigator, or a non-litigating check acceptor. Don't talk to her, she will only use anything you say against you. She is not interested in justice, just squeezing money through fear and intimidation - my opinion, not legal advice, and opinion that is based on talking with many attorney's, including federal prosecutors and others who specialize in this field. All provided "opinion", not legal advice, but you decide what the difference is outside of a legal difference. I have, and that is what I am sharing with you - "educated and informed opinion".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:46:28 PM by Little BigHorn »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
@LittleBigHorn, do you have anything  to back up the statement that Leslie Burns has been with her office since 2011? she wasn't admitted until June of 2011, and photoattorney.com announced that she joined the firm on April 1, 2012, as did Leslie Burns' website. If you have a letter from her before she was admitted, I would imagine that would not look to good to the Bar Association.

Furthermore being this is a federal matter, I think ( and I could be wrong) your statement "She cant practice in most states, which means she needs to refer to it to someone, and give up a big referral fee..." is erroneous and should be corrected if so.

I think most of these trolling attorney's do try to keep it somewhat "local" to keep costs down and profit up..for example Carolyn Wright also has an office in Atlanta Georgia and we have seen a letter come out of that office for someone in that vicininty.. but it certainly doesn't have to be.. Timothy McCormack who is admitted to practice in Washington, sent a letter to someone in Alabama, as you will see in the latest post pertaining to complaints filed with the AG office.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »
I do recall Leslie's photo from before. Before 2011, she wasn't listed as an attorney. I think she was listed a legal assistant or something. Presumably, that changed after she passed her State Bar exam.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »
I'm just shocked that Mr. Burns had a child. "Smithers!"
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
Carolyn's expanding legal staff is further proof of the money generated by these extortion letters. She went form being a sole practitioner to having a full staff of lawyers sending these letters out for her clients. 

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.