Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Defining the "date of infringement" ...  (Read 4405 times)

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
Defining the "date of infringement" ...
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »

Hi guys.  Hypothetical here:

Lets say you've got an old ass blog post from 2005 with an image on it.  The troll discovers it last week.

Is the "date of infringement" the date last week that the troll discovers it, or is it the date on the blog post from 2005?

(obviously, just because the blog post is dated 2005 doesn't always mean it was posted then as many people back-date things... but strictly speaking lets assume it *was* posted in 2005)

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Defining the "date of infringement" ...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:48:26 AM »
For the three year Statute of Limitations, the date of infringement is the earliest date the infringement is discovered by the infringed party.  In your example, if you were notified last week, the earliest date of infringement you can prove, is the date you were notified.  Obviously, they would have known for some period of time prior to that.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:06:34 AM »
I think it's fairly easy to quash this, many servers do not have the time / date set properly, they would somehow need to "prove" that this date is accurate. scrubby this from archive.org would make it more difficult.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »

Cool...  well, you guys reckon it's safe to assume that the troll will *claim* the date of infringement is the date stamped on the blog post (regardless of how provable this is)?

In my case I have the bonus advantage that the post in question does not appear in archive.org at all until the last few weeks (probably because their robot was poking around).

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
for sure that's what they will claim, but the fact of the matter is, the infrngemtn wasn't discovered until much later.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

zazen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 12:36:48 PM »
Robert- Novice question to be sure..is scrubbing from Archive.org a fairly straightforward process?? Thanx

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »

Robert Krausankas

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.