Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: ELI is 9-years old!  (Read 4700 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
ELI is 9-years old!
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
It was 9 years ago in July 2008 when Oscar Michelen and I had our first early phone conversations and exchanged emails on working together on ELI. It was Oscar who first coined the term "ELI" for ExtortionLetterInfo. Neither of us ever imagined we would work together for so long and become good friends along the way.

We also never imagined we would have so many like-minded people like Robert, Greg, April, Stinger, Jerry, Eugene, and so many others who would become important allies and friends to the cause. No way ELI could have endured for so long without the passion, tenacity, and contributions of this hearty group of volunteers who stood together with us during some unusual adventures and circumstances. [The Chan v. Ellis appeal case (with the EFF and Eugene Volokh in our corner) in the GA Supreme Court was a big one many of us will never forget. We also have been threatened by different people over the years for what we do here.]

Oscar and I spoke today and it seems quite likely we will see the 10-year anniversary of ELI next year in 2018! Copyright extortion, unfortunately, is still very much alive and well. If copyright extortion had not continued to persist, ELI could not stay relevant.

I have always thought ELI would be a "temporary" project. We would stay around long enough to see copyright extortion come to an end or perhaps a big slowdown. But unfortunately, copyright extortion is still alive and well. Some older players have left the scene but many new players have grown in their place.

Onward to Year 10!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:52:21 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

kingkendall

• View Profile
Re: ELI is 9-years old!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
I wanna thank you Matthew and Oscar for creating this site.  It's been a source information and strength for me personally.  I hope one day there won't be a need for ELI.  But, until that day comes, thanks! 

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
Hard to believe I've been posting here since May 2009! I don't see an end in sight, same trolling behaviors, different trolls..and naturally some trolls that will never go away.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
Piracy and infringements continue to be rampant which is certainly a problem in itself.

But the profiteering and disproportionate demands remains a scourge in the copyright enforcement business. The fact that there is so much ignorance on the defense side is why ELI continues to exist to educate people so they don't get unfairly taken advantaged.

People need to know all the different (even unconventional) ways to fight back.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:24:06 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELI!

Thank you Matthew and Oscar and everyone else that contributes to this site. I've been coming back here for over six years now. Although I am in the clear from my original bogus claim, I am committed to helping other people deal with scammers trying to take advantage and rip off people because they made a mistake. I'd say ELI (and the people that contribute) made a HUGE difference in the ability of copyright trolls to pull a fast one.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
Happy belated birthday to ELI and many thanks to Matthew and Oscar and the rest of the gang who provide information and opinions that have helped thousands of us trudge our way through the various extortion letter schemes that continue to plague the web.

clist

• On your side
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:57:41 PM »
Happy Belated ELI!

8)

Knowledge isn't free - you have to pay attention.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »
Mulligan!

Where have you been?  Long time no see! Glad to hear from you!

Happy belated birthday to ELI and many thanks to Matthew and Oscar and the rest of the gang who provide information and opinions that have helped thousands of us trudge our way through the various extortion letter schemes that continue to plague the web.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.