Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Facebook Sucker is proud of himself settling with Masterfile himself  (Read 3905 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
So, there is a guy who made a post on the ELI Facebook page trying to get a dig on us where most of the information and advice is FREELY shared here on the ELI Forums. And a dig on Oscar because a response was missed. 

Sadly, not sure this site is really still active. Sent information to the Oscar Michelen Defense Letter Program, but never got a response. Could not get a response from anybody here either. Got on the phone and settled the Masterfile threat letter myself.

My response:

Sadly, you can't read that ExtortionLetterInfo.com is the main website where we provide most of the information and forum activity, not this Facebook page which is mostly for announcements. Sadly, you are proud of yourself for paying probably way too much to Masterfile. Good job for being a sucker.

Despite the fact, there are all kinds of mentions and links to the main ELI website and ELI Forums, somehow he thinks because we don't make constant announcements or have active dialog on the ELI Facebook page, that we are not "active".

Because we all know how many lawyers are killing themselves to legally defend victims at a flat fee of $200-$275.  Not $200-$275 per hour, a flat fee of $200-$275. Because lawyers just are dying to compete with that.

Regular ELI readers know that Masterfile claims often go into $3,000 to $6,000 range. So this genius, probably got himself a smoking deal of settling with Masterfile for $1,500-$2,000.  Oooooh, I am so impressed that someone "only paid" $1,500 to $2,000 to settle.

ELI is not perfect. Unlike the copyright extortionists who collectively generate millions of dollars per year, ELI works on a voluntary business where the majority of people get FREE information. Yes, we do offer some small support programs but it is nothing compared to the resources being spent on the opposing side.

We largely VOLUNTEER our time and try to be creative to provide support where very few are willing to go do.  That is why after 7.5 years, Oscar remains the only lawyer in the U.S. to consistently maintain visibility and a non-moneymaking, flat fee legal representation program. This is why you will find certain information and advice here that you cannot find anywhere else.

IF ELI ever shut down doing away with the Defense Letter Program, the ELI Forums, and the ELI Support Call program, tens of thousands of victims in the U.S. would suffer like you would never believe. And the copyright extortionists would celebrate.

Yes, there are some websites occasionally "reporting" on complaints and giving some shaky advice, but ELI remains the only ACTIVIST website that knows the players in ways others cannot and who does this year-round. ELI remains an ongoing power check and counter-balance to the stock photo copyright extortion industry. With few exception, we have directly taken on and engaged many of these people, not just sitting in the background being a pundit.

Some people should show some fucking appreciation and stop being clueless. This Facebook moron is so proud of himself because he has more money than brains or a spine.  Good on him.

It is people like him that make me sometimes think about shutting down ELI and letting the copyright extortion wolves have at it.  Then maybe some people will be less of a wise-ass and realize the impact we have had over the years. If Masterfile is settling more easily, they aren't doing it to be nice guys.  They are doing it because they know if they don't settle easily, they will eventually stumble here on ELI to get further educated and they will likely get ZERO.

Masterfile used to try to show everyone how big and tough they were a few years back until they got the legal bills for trying to be so tough. When those big legal bills came in, they realized that it didn't work as well as they intended.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 01:06:19 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Facebook Sucker is proud of himself settling with Masterfile himself
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »
When you get tired and want to get out Matt, I would suggest that you sell ELI to a consortium of trolls and make them close it.  That way, at least you can actually get paid for all the time and effort that you have put into this site  for over 7.5 years.  We can make a good business case to them about how much money you have cost them in the past, and what it should be worth to them to have ELI out of the way.

Just kidding!  The old MBA in me always wants to monetize exit strategies.

Keep up the good work!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »
I like your thinking! Very creative! Selling ELI to Getty Images would be a very interesting deal.  Or maybe Timmy would want to buy ELI, how about that?  LOL.

When you get tired and want to get out Matt, I would suggest that you sell ELI to a consortium of trolls and make them close it.  That way, at least you can actually get paid for all the time and effort that you have put into this site  for over 7.5 years.  We can make a good business case to them about how much money you have cost them in the past, and what it should be worth to them to have ELI out of the way.

Just kidding!  The old MBA in me always wants to monetize exit strategies.

Keep up the good work!
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
Timmy's in the drug business.  Pursuing a legal avenue sometimes through illegal means as I am led to understand.  I don't think he is your target market.

To truly maximize your return, you need to get Getty, and Masterfile, and all the others to get together and pitch in to get rid of ELI.  You and this web site have put a dent in the pockets of all those companies.  Only selling to one, gets the others off the hook as free riders.

Don't sell yourself short, Matthew.

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
Oh wow. He made the world a better place by feeding the trolls. What an idiot. *headdesk*
 Keep going, Matthew even when it feels like you want to throw in the towel. You have made the world a better place by teaching us that the trolls exist and NOT to feed them.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.