Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Free Images of the Week from Masterfile  (Read 4768 times)

fighting_masterfile

• View Profile
Free Images of the Week from Masterfile
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
Free Images of the Week from Masterfile - http://www.masterfile.com/info/products/freeimages/

I smell a rat!  Master Fail is giving out "FREE" Images of the week - Hmmm there is nothing free - They will just go after someone down the road with Extortion to collect. 

Today's Image from Master Fail is also showing on Fotolia.com, shutterstock.com, dreamstime.com and other sites.

From their License
"7.4. (Premium RF) "Free Image of the Week". If you download any Premium RF “Free Image of the Week†which is featured as such on the Website, any use of such Image will be governed by the terms of this Agreement with respect to Premium RF Images and Masterfile is deemed to have received full payment from you for such license."

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: Free Images of the Week from Masterfile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:36:00 AM »
My read on this is they are saying you are free to use this image as if you had paid for the licensing. But, yeah, I tend to not trust ANY of the companies that participate in the Copyright Extortion Letter Program. Until Masterfile and Getty Images change their method of copyright enforcement to something more sane and reasonable, I will continue to suggest that my clients, collaborators, and even vendors use another stock image company.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:51 PM »
also don't get confused by "royalty free" and "rights managed" images..royalty free images often appear on multiple sites, and are much cheaper, thus they can "give them away"..they aren't worth anything to begin with..most of their rights managed images aren't worth anything either IMHO
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
Good point Robert, also another point of confusion for many is that "royalty free" does not mean "free".  You still have to licenses the image but they are greatly reduced from the "rights manages" images.

Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »
yeah "nothing is free" applies here..anyone dumb and naive enough to use these images, best read AND understand the terms of use. as we have seen even "hobby blogs" not associated with a business can become a victim simply by serving affiliate ads, as the trolls see this as "commercial"..

PRO TIP of the day..steer clear of "free" images.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:58:15 PM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Well said.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 11:28:45 PM »
As far as I am concerned Getty, Masterfile, and other notorious copyright extortionists are not to be trusted.  They offer these "freebies" to try to stem the tide of badwill they have generated over the years. Also, they will decide if your use is "appropriate" or not. 

For example, you might have a website that starts out as a personal or hobby website. However, in the course of operating and growing your website, you decide you might want to monetize your efforts or offset your expenses by earning commissions, put up ads, sell products, etc. It is simply too easy to forget and stray into "commercial" territory, at which point, you are no longer using the images "appropriately" and then you are now "guilty" of copyright infringement just because you crossed a threshold of what is "appropriate" usage and what is not.

As far as I am concerned, it is a legal trap waiting to happen and not worth whatever "freebies" they might offer.  Getty, Masterfile, Corbis, etc. are not to be trusted and it is not worth the risk or hassle of using any image they offer for "free". Nothing is free, they are trying to suck you in but it is frought with legal risk.

Stay away from any Getty or Masterfile images.  Don't pay or support them even if you are doing it legally. Everyone votes with their dollars.  Your dollars are best boycotted from those two companies.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:37:36 AM »
Well said, Matt.  I agree whole heartedly.

It takes a few years of watching these guys before one realizes they are playing TEGWAR (the exciting game without any rules) and they are using the U.S. Legal system as their partner in this deceptive game.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.