Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Getty Images & a Penguin  (Read 4526 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Getty Images & a Penguin
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
You can always depend on Getty Images to do the right thing.... grab money for themselves even over a penguin meme.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150908/00155432189/getty-images-goes-copyright-trolling-after-meme-penguin.shtml

http://boingboing.net/2015/09/04/getty-charges-blog-868-for-so.html

http://petapixel.com/2015/09/05/getty-images-forces-blog-to-pay-868-fee-for-using-socially-awkward-penguin/

When the tech blogs write about Getty Images, you know Getty is REALLY getting obnoxious.

For us at ELI, it is just a another typical Getty Images extortion Day.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:24:16 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
Re: Getty Images & a Penguin
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:10:16 PM »

Amazing.... it's awfully sad that these guys paid Getty the fee.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:15:16 PM »
haha, good timing I needed something to post on CRT.com...once again getty will look the fool...and naturally i'll drag the photographer into the mix..as well as posting my own meme using the same image!

BTW this "image" is also available for sale on Nat Geo, so I'm wondering if getty truly has the exclusive rights to it..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 12:20:27 AM »
Ahh, yes. You can count on Robert being the rebel he is and challenging the status quo. 

http://copyright-trolls.com/site/socially-awkward-getty-images-squeezes-blog-over-meme/

Robert cleverly incorporates the original penguin image in question through illustrating screen shots of that penguin and "hot linking" that meme to his website!

I probably ruined it for Robert who was probably trying to troll-bait Getty Images into sending him an extortion letter.

One thing I did notice that it appears to NOT be the U.S. operation of Getty. It appears to be a European version.  The U.S. side can always expect that we name names of the employees who do the extorting.  Unfortunately, the victim blogger blocked out the name of that Getty employee.

I really don't understand that practice at all of blocking out names of the person sending the offensive emails.  If anyone comes after me, I would name EVERYONE including the janitor and housekeeper if I thought they were part of the attack.

That is one of the most important aspects of hitting back. YOU HAVE TO NAME THE EMPLOYEES THAT ATTACK YOU.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
NAME them and SHAME them.

When done effectively, it raises the cost of doing business for Getty because only the lowliest of low life's stick around.  Employee turnover can not only be costly, but can slow down their trolling operations.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »
2 things I find interesting here..the image can be purchased licensed through Nat Geo, so how can getty have the exclusive rights to anything? This photographer has been a Nat Geo photographer for over 30 years! So this means:

1. Getty doesn't control the image
2. Nat Geo doesn't control the image
3. the photog fibbed to one of the above..

Also imagine if Getty really fell off the deep end and pursued every single instance of this image, it was used to create nearly 240k memes..even if Getty demanded a mere 200.00 per use, that would rake in $48,000,000.00 ( if everybody ponied up) naturally we know this ain't gonna happen and I highly doubt Getty will ever send another "penguin letter".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:28:42 PM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
I like the way you think, Stinger!

NAME them and SHAME them.

When done effectively, it raises the cost of doing business for Getty because only the lowliest of low life's stick around.  Employee turnover can not only be costly, but can slow down their trolling operations.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.