Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Gratitude And A Few Questions  (Read 5508 times)

njb52

• View Profile
Gratitude And A Few Questions
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:48 PM »
First off, I want to than everyone for the information from this great forum! It helped me shift out of paranoid and fear mode into pro-action  after receiving Getty's fist demand letter. I sent off a response with the guidelines of this forum, to negotiate a reasonable amount to pay for my inadvertent posting of a single photo on our web site. I also include a sentence saying that we will only accept written forms of communication and will not discuss this matter using email or by telephone

My questions are as follows:

Now that I have received and responded to their initial letter, I read on this forum that they will send about 11 more out to me. Do I just reiterate my initial response to their first demand letter as these other letters keep pouring in?

Does it even make sense to respond at all?

We have another site that we used a template for, that we purchased in 2004 (I have an email receipt). Are those images safe from the 3 year statute of limitations since the site has been up since then?

Can these trolling turds (sorry for the colorful language) also come after videos that use stock images in a slideshow that fade in and out?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a newbie.

Thanks in advance :)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Gratitude And A Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
First off, I want to than everyone for the information from this great forum! It helped me shift out of paranoid and fear mode into pro-action  after receiving Getty's fist demand letter. I sent off a response with the guidelines of this forum, to negotiate a reasonable amount to pay for my inadvertent posting of a single photo on our web site. I also include a sentence saying that we will only accept written forms of communication and will not discuss this matter using email or by telephone

My questions are as follows:

Now that I have received and responded to their initial letter, I read on this forum that they will send about 11 more out to me. Do I just reiterate my initial response to their first demand letter as these other letters keep pouring in?

well you could, they will never offer up proof, you could also state you will be billing them for your time if they do not provide the requested information

Does it even make sense to respond at all?

not really it falls on deaf ears and copyright clerks that can hardly read, much less form a response.

We have another site that we used a template for, that we purchased in 2004 (I have an email receipt). Are those images safe from the 3 year statute of limitations since the site has been up since then?

The SOL only begins after the discovery of the infringement, if you bought the template from template monster, they were sued and settled with getty and should take care of this for you..Regardless you should pro-actively vet every image on your server. someone else

Can these trolling turds (sorry for the colorful language) also come after videos that use stock images in a slideshow that fade in and out?

turds is way to nice, I prefer to call Getty Images and their employees douche bags..yes they could, they would probably loose in court, but then again they hardly ever file suit..it would greatly depend on the video and content within.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a newbie.

Thanks in advance :)
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

njb52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:18:56 AM »
Thanks, BuddhaPi, for such a quick response to my questions. It is especially interesting to see that the statute of limitations begins with the actual discover.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:28:25 AM »
Once they do not provide the requested proof you may wish to file complaints with the Washington State Attorney General for the lack of good faith negotiations
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

njb52

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:44:45 AM »
Great idea - I'll do a search on the forum to see what others have written.
Thanks a lot  :)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

njb52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:34:45 AM »
What an awesome link, Greg! Thanks for consolidating all of your info into such a powerful thread  for us all to benefit from.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
What an awesome link, Greg! Thanks for consolidating all of your info into such a powerful thread  for us all to benefit from.

You are very welcome.

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:45:28 AM »
I would also like to point out that I believe it is longest discussion thread of any thread in ELI.  Greg has most certainly rallied the troops on this and he gets full credit on this.

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.