Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Happy 6th Birthday to ELI!  (Read 4345 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Happy 6th Birthday to ELI!
« on: June 21, 2014, 03:21:44 AM »
June 20, 2014 is a special day.  It is ELI's 6th birthday.

Due to unfortunate circumstances last year of ELI's unexpected legal battle against a certain poet copyright extortionist, I was not able to announce nor celebrate ELI's 5th birthday last year. I had resigned my position as Editor-in-Chief and went silent out of disgust and protest of the situation.

However, last year is last year and thanks to the harassing shenanigans by Getty Images outside Lawyer Timmy McCormack (fondly known as Timmy Mack), I finally got pulled back into the ELI fold!

2014 is a new year and ELI is nearly restored to full strength (with some minor changes).

June 20, 2008 was a special day.  It was the day I officially registered and launched extortionletterinfo.com (ELI).  I didn't call it ELI back then. "ELI" was coined by Oscar Michelen shortly after his volunteer efforts and endorsement of my newly launched website. Back then, ELI was much uglier and there was no discussion forum! Days later after launch, I started getting my first emails from fellow victims sharing their stories and I began gathering data, information, and stories on the Getty scheme in the U.S.

On June 27, 2008, independently of ELI, Attorney Oscar Michelen made his first public post about the "Getty Barrage" now better known as "Getty Images Extortion Letters".
http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/cease-and-desist-letter-received-from-getty-images-5053.html

On July 8, 2008, I "discovered" Oscar Michelen when I read his insightful, rational AVVO post. Finally, I found a lawyer that "got" and understood my argument and position. Discovering Oscar was the result of my persistent search for a grounded, rational lawyer who might understand my perspective beyond the whole generic B.S. that if there is a copyright infringement you were automatically subject to a $150,000 lawsuit claim. Even with my limited knowledge back then, I thought most of the lawyers that shared their opinion on the subject was talking theoretically and spewing horseshit.  From the very beginning, I never believed that any rational court or judge would rule I had to pay even 10% of that $150K given my particular set of circumstances of unintentional (innocent) infringement.

On July 9, 2008, following my invitation email to Oscar, he graciously responded back by making one of ELI's first and earliest discussion forum posts.  http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/comments-by-attorney-oscar-michelen-regarding-getty-images-and-extortionletterin/

As you can read for yourself, the tone of that post does not reflect the easy familiarity that Oscar and I enjoy today. Nonetheless, that post remains a very important one that launched the beginnings of what would ultimately the ELI Community.

In the days that followed July 9, 2008, there was a flurry of email exchanges (which I still have) between Oscar and myself as we got to know each other and worked on the beginnings of what would become his innovative Defense Letter Program. I recall our early phone conversations to be easy and mutually respectful. It didn't take long for our professional relationship to grow as we had complementary skills and took a symbiotic approach to building ELI.

Of course, there are many more stories that followed as the weeks and months passed but those early days and weeks of building ELI with Oscar were special. Few know the exact chronology of what happened on what dates. However, I have managed to keep and archive those emails for reference.

To be clear, ELI has organically grown far beyond what Oscar and I ever envisioned.  We have literally had thousands of readers and visitors come through this website the last six years. Along the way, we have met and gained some smart, committed, and courageous friends and allies that support what we do.

As long as copyright extortionists continue extorting individuals and small business with their outrageous financial demands, ELI, the ELI Community, its network of friends and allies will continue to educate others and grow its membership.  And the losers who make their money off of taking unfair advantage off of the legally ignorant can be sure there are many eyes and ears paying close attention to every move they make.

Happy Birthday to ELI on its 6th year of existence.  Onward and upwards to Year 7.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:06:20 AM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Happy 6th Birthday to ELI!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
seems as if I just recently passed my 5 year anniversary as well..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Peeved

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Matthew, glad that "Timmy Mack" got you back.  :)

Win or lose your appeal, I'm thankful to all ELI contributors. The experience has certainly been educational on so many levels.

Happy Birthday ELI....and many more.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:50 PM »
Happy Birthday to ELI!  Eli is such a valuable resource to letter recipients, thank you Matthew, Oscar, Robert, Jerry, April and all the "family" for all you do to make ELI what it is!

Looking forward to the next 6 years!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:25:33 AM »
Thank you ELI and all those special people who have stuck around to make it what it is.  Matthew, Oscar, Robert, Greg, et al.  You guys are the BEST.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
It seems hard to believe that 6 years have gone by. Little did I know what would develop when I answered that Avvo post all those years ago. I have to say that having just re-read it, most of it still applies, word for word! The credit for starting ELI goes to Matt Chan for identifying that this issue went far beyond his case and the one or two folks that contacted me after my Avvo post.  That Avvo post went on to become the most viewed in Avvo history and I have never seen another Avvo post with as many "Helpful" votes as that one (71!).

As Matt describes in his post, through a series of emails and phone calls, I joined Matt on ELI as legal adviser. Matt and I shared many of the same sensibilities - that law can be explained to and understood by lay persons if lawyers just lifted the condescending tone and used plain English and that if you really stand by an issue, put your name and face behind it to show your conviction to folks.  Since then ELI has helped thousands of people learn about this issue and understand the problems associated with copyright infringement and copyright trolling.

As time went on, more and more people were added to the ELI team and the site is as vibrant and alive as it is today because of folks like BuddhaPi, Greg, Jerry, Lucia, Peeved and many others to numerous to list. These team members have added insight from all walks of life and fields of expertise that makes ELI the #1 source for information about the topics it covers. It is a testament to our straightforwardness, fairness and penchant for accuracy that in all the years that ELI has run, no digital media company has attacked its posts or representations as false, misleading or wrong; and don't think for one minute that there are not many  many companies and individuals who would love to see ELI taken down. Many folks may disagree with our opinions and many folks have posted negative comments or disagreements with our stance on particular issues. And Matt has always been one to leave those posts up for all to see. We don't hide from opinions even those that differ from our own.  That is another thing I love about the site - the open exchange of the forums.

Beyond any dispute, ELI has changed the conversation about copyright trolling and digital image litigation in general. Without ELI, Getty and others would have run unfettered across thousands and thousands of web sites demanding insupportable damages and frightening people into overpaying on infringement claims. People facing these claims would have nowhere to turn for advice and information. It remains a vibrant and valuable resource on the issues.         

So to say the least I am extraordinarily proud to be affiliated with ELI; to count Matt and the others as my compatriots and friends; and to have been able to help so many people through this site. I cannot thank you enough Matt for having brought me into ELI and for your friendship and counsel over the last  6 years. Here's to the next 6 and more! I leave you with one of my favorite quotes that seems very appropriate for the occasion: Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it occurs to me, "What a long, strange trip its been!"        
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 04:04:11 AM by Matthew Chan »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 04:29:05 PM »
 Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it occurs to me, "What a long, strange trip its been!"       

here, here!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.