Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: How many times has Getty actually sued anyone?? More than 5 in Fla?  (Read 5171 times)

zazen

• View Profile
Aside from the flurry of lawsuits filed in Florida early this year, has Getty followed through with any more to anyone's knowledge?? Pacer doesnt seem to reference any, at least that I can find...thanx

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: How many times has Getty actually sued anyone?? More than 5 in Fla?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
Not that I have heard of, although there have been rumors of another round of single image suits.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »
Keep in mind the proportionality of outstanding cases in any given 3-year period (statute of limitations) that most people are not aware of.

There are likely hundreds (if not thousands) of outstanding Getty Images minor (de miminis) infringement cases eligible for lawsuit.  Even if Getty went out and filed 10 lawsuits tomorrow, proportionally speaking, there is still less than a 1% chance of any individual actually being served a lawsuit. 99% of people will have very good odds (except, of course, you are part of that 1%).

And even if that were to occur, legal history shows that these types of Getty Images minor infringement cases don't go far into the process.  Most settle out.  And for the very few that don't settle out, nearly all has been an unprofitable course of action.

There are, of course, exceptions to everything I just stated in matters of egregious infringements such as willful/intentional infringements, not taking images down, continued use of images, 10 or images involved, large commercial usage, high-volume websites, etc.. 

Aside from the flurry of lawsuits filed in Florida early this year, has Getty followed through with any more to anyone's knowledge?? Pacer doesnt seem to reference any, at least that I can find...thanx
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Ouija303

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 02:40:06 PM »
I recently received my letter from Getty.  Based on the info here I think It makes sense just to ignore it.  What a bunch of spam.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 06:37:43 PM »
That is certainly an option, I would keep reading and educate yourself especially if you decide at some point to contact them.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.