Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I'm done worrying about it.  (Read 20772 times)

mikejl46

• View Profile
Re: I'm done worrying about it.
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »
Mike, that's a very good point which also applies to some of the more notorious trolls: They apparently have websites "seeding" their copyrighted content. How can Getty send hundreds of extortion letters a month and not catch even one of the seeders?

Same goes for Hawaiian Art Network and Vincent K Tylor. They claims they've send hundreds of cease and desist letters. Google doesn't show even one single DMCA removal request from either of them. There are literally HUNDREDS of sites seeding VKT images. Shouldn't they be interested in having those removed from Google results? Many of them are hosted in the US or have their domain registered in the US and can be taken down with one simple email to the ISP, domain registry or search engine(s) of one's choice.

Mike, why don't you post the website that's seeding the images for Getty? Let's see how long PicScout takes to find them once we actually provide them with a URL. My bet is NEVER.

This link shows the template with the clouds.

http://puzzso.biz/template-11.html

Here are a few sites.

At this link there is another template with the same clouds to the left of it.

http://nsitestore.com/website_templates.html

http://www.ecademy.com/module.php?mod=list&lid=63383

http://www.primabiz.com/produk8.html

http://aerohost.com/FreeTemplates.htm

There also many websites using the template like this.
http://www.mortgagenow.net.au/loans.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:14:48 PM by mikejl46 »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
Interesting, I've seen these templates before, they are offered as part of a reseller package, thur a hosting provider. I lease rack space from a company, and they offer me templates very similar if not identical to these..I think maybe i'll be contacting to ask them some questions this Monday, even thought I don't use them..

http://templatedemo.com
http://templaterover.com/

From the "terms of use"
II) IMAGERY, CliPARTS AND FONTS

All imagery, clipart and fonts used in our templates are royalty-free and are the integral part of our products. Limited-usage License gives you the right to use images, clipart and fonts only as a part of the website you build using your template. You can use imagery, clipart and fonts to develop one project only. Any kind of separate usage or distribution is prohibited.

VI) OWNERSHIP

You may not claim intellectual or exclusive ownership to any of our products, modified or unmodified. All products are property of independent content providers. Our products are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. In no event shall our juridical person be liable for any damages including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages or other losses arising out of the use of or inability to use our products.

this second is the kicker..."independent content providers"....don't blame us if you any issues, while at the same time saying in section 2 , there is a "royatly free" license
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:22:52 PM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
I agree with Soylent.  I, too, would like to learn more from the former Getty intern.

Specifically, during what time period were you there?  Who owned the company at that time?  At the time you worked there, was there anything on Getty's Royalty Free Images page that:
  • Indicated that Royalty Free Images required a license and payment?
  • Indicated that any of the images were subject to copyright?
  • Prevented a user from right clicking and copying an image (like most reputable photographers web sites)?

During the time that you were there, had Getty restricted access to their Royalty Free Images pages at archives.org prior to 2009?  Have you ever seen what Getty's Royalty Free Images (seeding) page looked like in 2005?

One would think that a company the size of Getty would take precautions to prevent their assets from being mis-appropriated. 

On the other hand, if a $2 photo can earn me $1000 just one time in 10 that I catch someone using it without a license, I am making 50 times more money by seeding the market with the photo and making people think it was free to use, than I would by just licensing the photo.  That's quite an incentive to become a troll.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:34:35 AM by stinger »

mikejl46

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 11:49:40 PM »
It's been about three months, I haven't responded to the first letter and so far have not heard a peep out of Getty. My strategy is to do nothing and see what happens. I'll stop back in about 6 months and let you know how that strategy is working for me.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »
I have absolute faith they will swoop around and make another pass at you.  These guys are very persistent because persistence often works on many people.

There are a lot of merits and upsides to simply laying low. However, for others such as myself who have a significant web/online business presence, it really isn't possible.

It's been about three months, I haven't responded to the first letter and so far have not heard a peep out of Getty. My strategy is to do nothing and see what happens. I'll stop back in about 6 months and let you know how that strategy is working for me.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 11:51:42 AM »
You will soon receive Step 2 - a letter from NCS IP Solutions or Timothy McCormack.  Much has been written about both on this site.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:32:44 PM by Matthew Chan »

April Brown (AuctionApril)

• View Profile
    • AprilBrown.com
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
You stole an image, got caught, removed the image and moved on?  Good job I guess.  Maybe next time you shouldn't steal the image to begin with?

I interned at Getty Images when I was in college, many years ago.  The company pays thousands of professional photographers worldwide to snap pictures, nonstop.  Out of every 100 professional-taken photos the company pays photographers to snap, only 1 makes it to their archive for resale.

When individuals like you steal their images without paying their requested royalties, you cause the price of images for all other paying customers to go up.

If you have an oz. of integrity, you'd pay them for the image you stole and then proudly display it on your Website, since you know it's a very worthy image to display.
I live in Seattle. I was there as a personal friend of a key founder when Getty started. Not sure that trumps an intern but I will say this. This is not the old Getty Images. This is the new creepy Getty Images. Are you aware that the lawyers that claim to be fighting for the photogs keep nearly all - if not all the money they get from filing copyright claims? The photogs don't get that money. If you can prove that they do, then you should post what you know to be true from your experience at Getty. Getty legal is not fighting for the photogs - they are fighting for their own bank accounts. You should read through every single post on the forum and you will soon discover that most people who share a photo or put a photo on their websites and blogs really have no idea about copyright infringement. They ARE ignorant because there has been no Public Service Campaign warning people and almost no discussions in the media about this issue.

Remember when the cellphone law started? We didn't suddenly get busted for using our cell phones while driving. Before we got ticketed years were devoted to warning and educating people through Federal and States campaigns and years before that, tons of publicity about accidents caused by cell phone usage while driving. Extortion Letter Info is one of the few resources for people to get help and fight back. Getty does not want the general populace to be informed about copyright infringement or fair use. Ignorance = money to them. They have done very few interviews educating the public. There are no PSA's. Nothing. Photogs should stop using Getty, Istock, etc. and build a reputation through their own individual promotion and websites. Each of those people you call a thief is a potential customer depending on how they are "sold" on that photographer during the initial contact. Photogs are being used. Period.

I would like you to clarify this - "The company pays thousands of professional photographers worldwide to snap pictures, nonstop." Are you sure Getty has thousands of photogs on payroll to shoot photos? Or are you saying Getty pays photogs for photos after they submit those photos and then reject 99% of the submissions? There is a big difference.

mikejl46

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
Just an update.

I received first letter back in July 2012, and so far have not received any more letters from Getty.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
That is great!  Thanks for the update and let us know if anything changes.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
The statute of limitation will expire July 2015 -mark your calendar!

mikejl46

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »
Another update

It has been almost a year now since I received my letter from Getty. My strategy has been to totally ignore the letter, and so far I have not heard a peep out of Getty since the letter I received July 2012.

2 years to go.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:03 PM »
That's great news, thanks for the update!
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

mikejl46

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:15 PM »
Just Another update

It has been over a year now since I received my letter from Getty. My strategy has been to totally ignore the letter, and so far I have not heard a peep out of Getty since the letter I received July 2012.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
Glad to hear it!

--Greg Troy

mikejl46

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
Another Update

It has been 2 years now since I received my letter from Getty. My strategy has been to totally ignore the letter, and so far I have not heard a peep out of Getty since the letter I received July 2012. 

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.