Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: I got a letter today  (Read 9080 times)

DAMET

• View Profile
I got a letter today
« on: December 07, 2013, 12:59:30 AM »
Today I received a letter from Getty Images and have spent hours scouting the web on how to deal with them.
Back story is my fiancé and I started to build a business that we were never able to get started. His health took a turn and he had to move to a different climate to get his health back. We kept the website up but never established the business because we have hopes that when his health restores we can start up the business... I recently lost my job so he thought maybe now I have free time to finish what we started, so I have been trying to learn how to work the website recently and hopefully get the business going so I can maybe have an income. We don't have a business license because we were getting all of that lined up when he suddenly his health took a turn. He built the website in my name because I had a bank account and he didn't. My fiancé used images he found on Microsoft.com and the website builder he used to build the website and google images. He was pretty certain they were all free to use, unfortunately I was not part of building the website. Now I received the letter saying I must pay 965.00 for an image on our site (which I removed immediately) and they priced it based on used for Corporate or promotional use. Which it hasn't been used for either since one we aren't even making money on the website yet and two we aren't even a business yet. We kept the website up so we wouldn't lose our domain name so when we can get the business going the name will still be there. I don't understand how to figure out what the actual cost of the image is on the Getty Image website so I can try to negotiate with them since I don't have a job currently. I have read it's best to just pay the bill but see if you can get them to lower it. I don't have enough income coming from my unemployment insurance to cover the full cost what they are asking and I am not even sure if that image was even theirs to begin with. Sorry if my message seems all over the board. I am just barely staying afloat as it is and this letter is just a blow to me today... Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:08:19 AM by DAMET »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: I got a letter today
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:03 AM »
If i told you that the domain you are using is mine and to pay me 1200.00 would you simply negotiate with me, based on my word that it's mine? Has Getty provided documentation they even have the rights to the image?? I doubt  it.. I suggest you do a lot more reading here, before opening a dialog with them, based on their "claim" you owe them money. just my 2 cents worth...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
Robert is correct.  Read all you can here because Getty often makes claims for images that they do not have the rights to.  They make their letters sound real scary.

The truth of the matter is that it would probably cost them more to take you to court than they would ever have to gain if your financial situation is what you say it is.

The more you read and follow this web site, the more empowered you will feel, and the better decision you can make based on what is right for you.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
Make sure you have taken the images down and ANY image that is not yours personally or you have a license for. 

Robert is correct, do not communicate with them at all until you have done some reading here and know what you are doing or you will inadvertently say something that could hurt your case.

You have basically 4 choices.

1) Ignore it.  Some here favor this however, I am not one. Also do not worry about the deadline they have given you as it is part of their scare tactic.

2) Fight it yourself. This is my choice.  All the information you need to fight this is contained here in this website.  The key is to read and get educated before confronting them.

3) Hire Oscar for a couple of hundred and they can no longer contact you.  Oscar has handled well over 800 of these cases.

4) Hire a local attorney.  If you go this route make sure that the attorney you select is an experienced IP attorney.  If whoever you get say to just pay it then you don't have the right person. 

Read up and ask questions and let us know what you decide and how it goes.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

DAMET

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »
Thank you all for your information. I will read up more here on this site. I am so glad but irked  to see so many others have experience on how to handle this situation.  I told my fiancĂ© about the situation and he lost a lot of sleep over it. This is not good for his current health situation. He has never had this problem before and was just as shocked as I was. My fiancĂ© is usually very careful with images on the web and was pretty certain when he first obtained it, that it was free to use. I have read the Getty Images has been known  to scoop up images that were free to use and make them licensed to use, unbeknownst to the user who obtained it legally. That really ticks me off that a company can do that and get away with it legally. Were just trying to get our own small business going so we can pay our bills. This was such a big blow to our current financial situation.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »
This claim should not have a serious impact on your business - follow the free advice and information on here.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »
you stated "this was such a big blow to our financial situation"....does this mean you blindly paid them?? I certainly hope not.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

DAMET

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Given that I am unemployed, if I paid what they want than I risk losing my home; so no I have not paid them. I am afraid of what will happen if I don't pay them, I can't afford a lawyer. I am trying to makes heads and tail sense of what I am reading on this site so I can fight this. I would in no way intentionally steal from someone and of course I understand ignorance is no excuse. I don't understand how they can just lay a bill on someone without first notifying them and giving them a cease & desist letter or a chance to just stop using the image? I have read other websites and frankly I am a bit worried. I know that was the intention of their letter to scare me but from what I have read a lot of people weren't able to get Getty's Images to be reasonable and they just paid and chalked it up as lesson learned. I do appreciate your advice and I will try to read and learn on what to do. I have not contacted them yet and from what I am reading it is best to do all of it through paper mail. Thank you all again.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
I don't understand how they can just lay a bill on someone
Bear in mind: legally it's not a bill. It cannot become a bill unless they sue you and win.

know that was the intention of their letter to scare me but from what I have read a lot of people weren't able to get Getty's Images to be reasonable and they just paid and chalked it up as lesson learned.
In 99.99% (estimated) of these cases, Getty would never have sued even had they not paid.

it is best to do all of it through paper mail. Thank you all again.
Yes. And before you do so, you should know as much about your own case as possible. As in: is that image registered etc. Then, volunteer nothing to your detriment (that is: if you figure out that you did copy and so on, don't volunteer that info.)

We can tell you how to figure out copyrights and so on.

rock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:48 AM »
Getty must proof that "Getty" own the rights to these pictures, (otherwise they have NO CASE)

When you ask Getty for the copyright registration info, signed contract by the photographer, etc....they will not provide any proof because in most of the cases they do not have it , or it was done in a sloppy way - that's why they can not provide it. Generally Getty’s employees will respond as they usually do and state they will only show this in court. They will say your case got "escalated". They will tell you, "Your case will be sent to Council". You may receive a letter from an outside collection council, or Timothy McCormack, or another collection attorney.  They will try to create fear.

Do not fall a prey to this, do not cower to their USUAL fear-based strategy.

These collection councils cannot sue you without Getty’s approval.  In 99.99% of these caes , Getty did not sue over a single image. In general, these collection lawyers do not have any proof that "Getty" own the rights to these pictures,  they do not know if they even have a legal CASE against you, they just use collection tactics. They will try to get some information from you, do not volunteer any, resist your urge to give details. The only SINGLE thing they have is just the screenshot, that's the ONLY thing they will say they can send you, (they do not have anything else!) and by itself this can NOT win a legal case.

Hopefully this will reduce your fear.

I thought everyone would enjoy commenting on McCormack Law Firm's "final warning" form letter, a copy of which I received not too long ago from one of my favorite extraction scheme trolls, paralegal Ashanti A. Taylor of Seattle, Washington.

Although I didn't reply to Ms. Taylor because I don't respond to form letters demanding $X,XXX, if I had replied, it might have gone something like this:

Achtung Fraulein Taylor!

You didn't make any attempts to resolve this claim because you refused to provide proof of your right to even discuss it when I requested that proof in my response to Timothy B. McCormack's initial form letter to me.

Ms. Taylor, though I know what a "settlement agreement" is, I don't know what a "comprise" is. Is a comprise something like a commode? Or perhaps a Seattle version of a bidet?

"Intermittent or non-existent" communications from moi?

Not so!

I communicated with you, Ms. Taylor, but you refused to provide the simple proof I requested, so I could see no point in wasting any more of my time with additional letters. I mean, honestly, trying to communicate with you, your copyright troll boss Timothy B. McCormack, or your "compliance officer" clones at Getty Images is akin to discussing the finer points of Shakespeare's 23rd sonnet with a Dempster Dumpster.

Ms. Taylor, you write: "Please consider this your final warning."

Oh my, Fraulein Taylor, with those bold-cased words you scared me so much I shit my pants.

Then you add, "There is still time to avoid escalation of your case."

OMG, I shit my pants a second time, this time from relief that there was still time!

And then... "We will recommend litigation to Getty Images."

Holy shit, I shit my pants a third time!

This is a record for shitting my pants.

But all shit aside, Ms. Taylor, it was only a few short months ago when Getty Images was threatening to escalate my case to a lawyer for litigation. And now the law firm that the case was escalated to is threatening to escalate again by threatening litigation to the image company that hired the lawyer that I thought was going to escalate by litigating.

Whoa, I just shit my pants a fourth time because I'm so confused as to WTF is going on here.

Missus Taylor, the three legal cases you cited on page two of your "last chance" form letter did NOT cause me to shit my pants a fifth time because the cases are irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Did you really think me stupid enough to empty my sphincter over three old legal cases, especially when you obviously whited out a fourth case that was once between the first and second case?

BTW, why is that case whited out, Ms. Taylor? I smell something seriously stinky here. Perhaps Timothy B. McCormack shit his pants because there was something about Case No. 2 that might cause him legal problems? Is that why Case No. 2 was removed from the form letter? Or maybe it had something to do with the X-Files? Perhaps an alien invader came into McCormack Law and extracted Case No. 2?

But I digress.

Ms. Taylor, I had to chuckle when I read your "final good faith effort to avoid litigation" paragraph. Though I certainly appreciated your offer of a payment plan, I have to admit that I shit my pants a fifth time when told it would cost me an "additional $300.00 administrative fee" to take advantage of that plan. Alas, I'll have to pass on your generous offer. So sorry!

Ms. Taylor, to address your next point, I admit to having no insurance whatsoever. I'm just a poor old man crawling his way toward retirement, living on a pittance, scratching out enough money some weeks to afford chicken necks for my one meal a day (when they're on sale) and living the rest of the time on cans of dog food that the local supermarket throws out when the expiration dates have passed.

I'd call you to discuss this matter further, Ms. Taylor, but, oh my, the phone company cut off my service many many months ago, just before the bank foreclosed on my house.

That was the first time I shit my pants in almost sixty years, I might add.

Sincerely yours,

Mulligan

P.S. It's terribly unprofessional for a law form to send out form letters threatening litigation and demanding thousands of dollars for thumbnail images without providing a shred of proof of a right to make such a demand. I guess that's why you and your boss Timothy B. McCormack are in such deep -- dare I say it? -- shit with the Washington State bar association?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:17:17 AM by rock »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 06:26:17 AM »
hahaha, it was so nice reading that Mulligan letter again..he rocks!....when he's no shitting himself.

Robert Krausankas

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 09:05:33 PM »
Do not be afraid, read the forums and read my last post -this claim should not have an impact on your business. If you cannot afford our letter program, just take the image down and do not communicate with them any further.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:55:00 AM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »

DAMET

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 01:49:49 AM »
I enjoyed reading this article today... http://www.pdnonline.com/news/Morel-v-AFP-Copyrig-9598.shtml

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
You might be interested in this quote from the Getty CEO which, seems to me, pretty much fits your situation:

“We’re comfortable with people using our images to build traffic. The point in time when they have a business model, they have to have some sort of license.”

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/22/for-pinterest-revenue-will-turn-copyright-questions-into-problems/

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »
Great post DAMET!

Attorneys for AFP and Getty argued at the trial that their clients were duped by a man named Lisandro Suero who stole the pictures from Morel's TwitPic account, then re-posted them under his own name. AFP and Getty then unwittingly distributed the images with Suero's credit, and did their best to correct the error as soon as they realized their mistake, their attorneys argued. - See more at: http://www.pdnonline.com/news/Morel-v-AFP-Copyrig-9598.shtml#sthash.jjETzEsA.dpuf

It strikes me that it is AFP and Getty's business to not be duped.  If they are going to make money by distributing digital images, they better damn well have the rights to distribute those images.  I only wish that this verdict was left to a judge who more likely would have known a bit more about trolls and their collection tactics, and might have made a larger statement with the verdict.

1.2 million dollars might sound like a lot to a photographer, but it is a pittance to a company like Getty.  Oh well, at least this verdict is a start.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.