Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: In the event of an actual lawsuit....  (Read 2977 times)

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
In the event of an actual lawsuit....
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »

Just hypothetically... if a troll wins a suit they can force you to pay their "legal bills" whatever made up number that happens to be.   But if *you win* can you reciprocate with them covering your costs?  Or does it only go one way?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: In the event of an actual lawsuit....
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »
well if you were to file a counter-suit, you could make them pay, not sure if you could make them pay by them filing and losing..I think not.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:42:43 AM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: In the event of an actual lawsuit....
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:40:37 AM »
Getting legal fees is a very uncertain thing in many cases. Even in cases when one side won, the judge has a lot of discretion in reducing attorney fees and costs. I have read copyright infringement cases where that has occurred when the plaintiff won.  I think it is challenging as a defendant to recover fees unless you can demonstrate it was frivolous, wrongful, etc.  Also, I believe you have to ask for it. It isn't automatic. I don't know the procedural specifics.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.