Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Just an introduction and a Thank You  (Read 3316 times)

BobDobbs

• View Profile
Just an introduction and a Thank You
« on: December 22, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
Hello ELItes! I received a LCS/Getty extortion letter recently. They have demanded well into the 4 figures to settle. I found this site (and several others) in quick order and got 95% of my questions answered. It's unclear whether I infringed or not. I am not trying to get out of paying fair compensation if I did.

They've sent 2 or 3 emails and 3 generic form letters. Two deadlines have come and gone. They even gave a me 30% or so discount without me ever even making an offer. I've sent two letters; very good ones in my opinion. Maybe someday I will share them here. I am now done with responding to them unless they provide the information I've asked for. I will fight them as far as I have to and am perfectly capable and willing to do it. As time allows I will also be writing complaint letters to government authorities, lawmakers and such.

I just wanted to thank everyone, especially Matthew and Oscar, who has put in the time to make this THE resource on extortion letters and the debate surrounding it. You're all good people. I'm going to send a donation to the site. It a very important resource and makes a HUGE difference. Don't ever shut down! I will keep the forum updated with whatever happens in my case.

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Just an introduction and a Thank You
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »
Good luck to you, BobDobbs!

It sounds like you are on the right track!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »
Hey, I like ELItes! Never heard that from anyone before!

And your welcome. Glad there are people who appreciate what we do.

You make an important observation about the need for us being around as a future resource. Oscar and I have never engaged in the hard sell of what we do. How we started ELI was getting the word out, educating others, and create goodwill.

But the underlying fact is that both of us are business people and without some degree of financial or goodwill support (through various means and channels) we could not easily continue. For example, Robert (Buddhapi) donates his time and his hosting services to ELI. He is also an assistant moderator/administrator when I am unavailable.  It didn't start out that way but because of a legal skirmish with Dash Poet, Linda Ellis, in 2013, we needed someone who had a backbone to support and defend ELI and not simply cave-in to a dumb complaint because someone's feelings gets hurt, we publicly insult a copyright extortionist, or report on publicly available information.

We have volunteer and knowledgeable contributors such as Greg Troy, Stinger, and a few others who donate their time to field questions and help be our eyes-and-ears when Oscar and I aren't available.

ELI Contributions are always appreciated and in 2016, I will be release a series of reports (priced from .99 to $9.99) published on Amazon Kindle (under the Defiantly Publishing banner) that will provide lots of valuable information to supplement the ELI Forums, the ELI Support Calls, and Oscar Michelen's Defense Letter Program.

I have long been an advocate of education especially legal education and I am taking it to the next level in 2016. Too many things have happened and I have seen too much to NOT follow through. And I hope ELI readers will support it. It will help ensure that the ELI team will continue to be strong and thrive. And we continue to fight for the underdogs.  The nice thing is that Amazon makes it easy to buy and publish.  It is easy for me to maintain and update. 

Hello ELItes!

I just wanted to thank everyone, especially Matthew and Oscar, who has put in the time to make this THE resource on extortion letters and the debate surrounding it. You're all good people. I'm going to send a donation to the site. It a very important resource and makes a HUGE difference. Don't ever shut down! I will keep the forum updated with whatever happens in my case.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:03:07 AM »
Welcome to the forums BobDobbs.

Sounds like you have it handled, please keep us posted on your results and we would love to see your letters should you decide to share them.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.