Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: LCS / Trunk Archive Closed My Case  (Read 11413 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: LCS / Trunk Archive Closed My Case
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 04:50:13 PM »
you will most likely receive additional letters, especially since you responded to them already, they now think they have a fish on the hook. By you telling them you are being advised by your lawyer is not sufficient, kinda the same as them telling you they own the image. Now if your lawyer sends them a response, that would be different, as then you would be represented by council, and they would have to send everything through him/her. I'll reiterate again, it's not in their interest to file suit, it would cost them more then it's worth, they know this or they would be filing suit daily.

I'm not "rejecting" anything I'm simply disagreeing, I don't see how "commentors" can make it fair use..they did not post it, using it to "illustrate a topic" ( your words) is not fair use... Using Public domainis fine on this forum, but public domain images do not fall under copyright and that term is often misused as is Royaly Free..

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalty-free
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

jmac112

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 05:57:53 PM »
I understand your point. I also understand where the word "extortion" comes from on this website! I can't believe these people have this business model. I would note for the board's use that I contacted Trunk Images directly asking about the image. They do represent the photog and handle licensing for him. When I asked about the price I got radio silence. Do you think they pinged LCS to see if I was a troll victim?

Thank you again for all your perspective. I am going to ignore this deadline, then whenever down the road they want to send more letters, I will have our attorney respond. I would guess that they would cool it after that unless they intend to go to court. It would make sense to harass my attorney, right?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »
it's possible. anything is possible...it's also possible that the photog never signed a contract with Trunk, don't take them at their word..we've seen Getty state that exact thing in acourt room, but had no signature from the photog...end of case right there... remember with many of these firms, it's about money andnot about protecting copyright or the artist. If you know the artist name, search their works n the copyright database, if it's not registered better for you.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

jmac112

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »
Very true. The photog's website makes no mention of Trunk. all requests and inquiries go to him directly.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 07:30:15 PM »
I've also seen a case where Getty tried to enforce copyright, and the artist had previously pulled his artwork from them, and did not renew the contract....these douche bags can be slippery as eels.

Robert Krausankas

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 10:54:05 PM »
Lets not forget the couple of times we have found out about them trying to collect on public domain images.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.