Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: LCS/StockFood America (& Alamy)  (Read 3472 times)

Milky Way

• View Profile
LCS/StockFood America (& Alamy)
« on: April 03, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
I just got a letter from LCS/StockFood America shaking me down for $830 for a single image used on my blog (read by no one) in 2011. I immediately took the image down, but haven’t replied yet to their email.

I subsequently found the identical image at Alamy Stock Photo for $39.99 for 5-year web use.

So, it seems StockFood does not have exclusive rights to this particular shot.  Does that negate their claim? Is that how I should craft a response letter (if any)?

However, I see from your Getty Images Letters Forum that LCS also represents Alamy. Would they bother to cross-check to see if I licensed from Alamy? (I didn’t.)

Please advise.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: LCS/StockFood America (& Alamy)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
I would get screen shots of the image on the other site and keep it for your records.  I would not engage them as it doesn't matter what you say they just want your money.  They would have a hard time proving they have exclusive rights to the image with it being offered on another site.

With what you have said I don't think you have much to worry about, I would just ignore them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:50:43 AM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Milky Way

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:05:15 PM »
Thanks for that advice, Greg. Hadn't thought of that.

I just got their follow-up letter today, which I guess I'll ignore per your advice. I'll let you -- and the world -- know if they ever escalate to litigation!

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:46 PM »
The odds are extremely low that they will and pf course make sure the image has been removed from your site and server.  You have a 3 year SOL for them to do anything, once you pass that you are in the clear.  We generally use the date on the first letter you received as your start date.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.