Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: License Compliance Services Inc. (LCS) provokes EFF to get involved.  (Read 6579 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
WE have been reporting on Getty Images for years. More recently, we have been giving LCS exposuree since LCS is nothing more than a division of Getty Images. It looks like this time around they have provoked the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) into getting involved by hitting the wrong victim.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/eff-responds-after-license-compliance-services-attacks-fair-use

Getty Images & LCS are notoriously sloppy staffed by hourly clerks pretending to be knowledgeable and infallible. They continue to provoke the wrong people.  Glad to see the EFF speak out against LCS.

Please note their position. They want copyright reform. As we have said for years, the copyright law was never designed for the Internet age or small or "de minimus" infringements. It is regularly abused by the copyright extortionists such as LCS.

Their response letter may assist others who receive copyright extortion letter.

============

Samantha Clemens
License Compliance Services, Inc.
605 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98104

RE: Case No. 379786452

BY EMAIL: LC S@lcs.global

Dear Ms. Clemens:

I write in response to License Compliance Services, Inc.'s (LCS) emails of November 24, 2015 and December 3, 2015 regarding a thumbnail image that appeared on the website http://uoah.org/. The Electronic Frontier Foundation represents Robert Knox, who created and runs that website. In your messages, LCS demands that our client pay LCS for his use of an image of a kidney. LCS makes this demand even though our client's site made a clear fair use of the photograph under 17 U.S.C. § 107. Please be advised that our client will not comply with your demand, and has no obligation to do so.

Mr. Knox created The Universal Organization for the Advancement of Humanity (UOAH) and its website to highlight humanist causes such as global health and education. This website includes a news ticker where Mr. Knox collates links to news articles relevant to these topics. Each item includes a headline that links directly to the original article, a very brief summary written by Mr. Knox (usually less than ten words), and a thumbnail image from the original page. This is classic fair use. See generally Kelly v. Arriba Soft Corp., 336 F.3d 811 (9th Cir. 2003).

The UOAH website collects news to highlight positive developments in human rights, education, and health. The site, which in addition to this information includes links to academic resources and non-profit organizations, serves as an educational resource for visitors. Its limited use of headlines and thumbnails to link to news articles serves the clear transformative purposes of education and commentary. See Kelly, 336 F.3d at 818¬22 (use of thumbnail images in search engine fair use); Bill Graham Archives v. Dorling Kindersley Ltd., 448 F.3d 605; 609-12 (2d Cir. 2006) (reproduction, at reduced-size, of posters in book was transformative). As such, the first statutory fair use factor—the nature of the use—strongly favors fair use.

The other fair use factors also strongly support Mr. Knox. The second factor—the nature of the copyrighted work—supports fair use because the photo had already been published and was being used primarily in a factual manner. See, e.g., Katz v. Google Inc., 802 F.3d 1178, 1183 (11th Cir. 2015). The third factor—amount used—also favors Mr. Knox because the use of a thumbnail-sized image is no more than necessary to allow "users to recognize the image and decide whether to pursue more information about the image or the originating web site." Kelly, 336 F.3d at 821.

Finally, the fourth factor—market harm—strongly favors our client. The UOAH website is plainly not a substitute for the original news articles or photographs as it includes only the headline, a few words of summary, and a thumbnail image. It is well-settled that thumbnails do not serve as a substitute for photographic works. See Kelly, 336 F.3d at 821-22. Indeed, as the Ninth Circuit explained, a thumbnail paired with a link to a source page guides any interested visitors toward a licensed, full-size copy of the photograph. See id. at 821. Far from operating as a substitute for the original work, it actively promotes it.

LCS's messages not only failed to rebut Mr. Knox's claim of fair use but misstated the law. In LCS's second email, you wrote that, to qualify as fair, a use must "meet all factors of Fair Use" (emphasis added). But, it is well-established that a party need not prevail on every factor to establish fair use. See, e.g., Norse v. Henry Holt & Co., 847 F. Supp. 142, 145 (N.D. Cal. 1994). LCS also implied that our client's use of the image could not qualify as fair use because it was not licensed. But it is well-settled that fair use does not require permission or any kind of license. See Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc., 510 U.S. 569, 585 n.18 (1994). It is extremely disappointing that LCS would misstate the law when making monetary demands of individuals. We hope that this was not done with the intent to bully a person you expected to be unfamiliar with the law.

Although his use of the image was fair and no changes to the UOAH website were required, Mr. Knox has already removed the thumbnail image from his site. This change was made in a spirit of compromise and was not required by the law. LCS has nonetheless demanded that Mr. Know pay for his prior fair use of the image. As explained above, Mr. Knox's use of the image not an infringement under 17 U.S.C. § 107 and he owes you nothing.

We trust that LCS will respect our client's right to free speech and will not trouble a court of law with this matter. If you wish to discuss Mr. Knox's website further, you may contact me.

Daniel K. Nazer
Staff Attorney

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
Re: License Compliance Services Inc. (LCS) provokes EFF to get involved.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 02:34:35 PM »
Nice letter!

Seems to me, that letter will make LCS "run for the hills".  The cited cases can be useful to anyone on this site with a fair use claim.

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »

I'm very happy to see EFF getting involved in this issue.  They seem to be one of the few organizations powerful enough to start changing copyright law with regards to image trolls.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 07:05:29 PM »
Unfortunately, LCS will quickly dismiss this case as to not draw any more attention to them from EFF.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »

I wonder if there's anything we can do to encourage EFF to get more involved. They seem to have a pretty sensible and influential argument about how copyright law can be reformed to kill these ridiculous statutory damages and give accidental infringers a break... I've been emailing them, for what it's worth! (and sent them a donation).

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:56:25 PM »
That is an awesome letter, I am sad to say that this behavior will continue, Getty a.k.a LCS has learned all they have to do is dismiss the claim and keep going after the low hanging fruit. The won't be taken to court because they dismissed the claim, even though they have shown they will continue to harass and bully people for payment until they educate themselves and fight back.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Amanda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 08:14:24 PM »
It would be nice if EFF could nail them to the wall for fraud and/or racketeering. LCS is deliberately lying and misquoting the law to people to get their money. Let see how they play the tune "I didn't know" and they be on the defensive for a change.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 03:40:03 AM »
They are very selective about cases they take on. They tend to take cases that make a wide impact benefiting many vs. single parties.

I'm very happy to see EFF getting involved in this issue.  They seem to be one of the few organizations powerful enough to start changing copyright law with regards to image trolls.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 03:43:12 AM »
And this is why we are all united here at ELI.  WE are the frontline force for the day-to-day cause-fight regarding Getty, LCS, and its ilk. We aren't the EFF but then the EFF can't be all things to all people.

That is an awesome letter, I am sad to say that this behavior will continue, Getty a.k.a LCS has learned all they have to do is dismiss the claim and keep going after the low hanging fruit. The won't be taken to court because they dismissed the claim, even though they have shown they will continue to harass and bully people for payment until they educate themselves and fight back.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.