Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Masterfile letter received  (Read 2800 times)

Cathiedd

• View Profile
Masterfile letter received
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:03:37 AM »
A client of mine has received a letter from Masterfile about an image on his website.  He is really confused where he got the image or even which image it is.  He thought he had purchased all the images.  We changed all the images immediately.  For now, he is not responding to Masterfile at all.  Should he respond or just ignore them?

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Masterfile letter received
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
Masterfile is somewhat different from Getty in that they usually have their ducks in a row.  While it is rare for a company to file over one image it has been done.  I would need more information before venturing an opinion.

I assume this was for a single image.  Did they include a screen capture of the image and if so what was it of?  Where was the image obtained.  I know you currently do not know the answers to these questions but they would be helpful in offering an opinion.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

sstovex63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »
I also recently received a letter from MF.  It appears one of their images was used accidentally on a business website.  The image was immediately removed of course.  If I am risk adverse, what is the best way to try and negotiate down the amount.  Phone call?  Only letters? 

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
Again, I need more information before I can offer an opinion.  IF you want to negotiate I would educate yourself first, especially with MasterFile.  I would conduct all communication via postal mail.  I did mine certified so I could prove it was received and who got it.

I also recently received a letter from MF.  It appears one of their images was used accidentally on a business website.  The image was immediately removed of course.  If I am risk adverse, what is the best way to try and negotiate down the amount.  Phone call?  Only letters?
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.