Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Minden Pictures  (Read 6485 times)

dvmxtwo

• View Profile
Minden Pictures
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
I got a letter from LCS on behalf of Minden Pictures about 2 months ago.   They have the same address as Getty Images: 701 Fifth Avenue, Suite 4200, Seattle, WA 98104, United States and the format of the letter is identical to others that have been posted here on this forum.  I took the image in question off the site and server as recommended on this forum.

I waited until they sent me a U.S. postal service letter and then I sent a rebuttal letter certified mail similar to those mentioned on this forum and other websites (but personalized) demanding documentation that they have rights to the image and also offering a more reasonable settlement ($30).  I got the usual response via e-mail.  They have not replied to my letter via snail mail, they keep sending e-mails - to which I have not responded.  Here's their latest e-mail:
This message is sent to you as a reminder that the time frame for resolving the matter of your unauthorized use of Minden Pictures's imagery ends in two days (of the date of this message).

Accordingly, you are requested to take one of the following actions immediately:

Remit payment online at https://settle.lcs.global/463687639505 or call our office at +1 855 387 8725 and pay by credit card over the phone.
If you have licensing documentation, please send it to LCS@LCS.global.
Failure to resolve this matter may result in further legal proceedings. Any previous discount offer will be revoked and attorneys' fees will be added to the settlement amount.

We are available at +1 855 387 8725 if you have any questions.

We look forward to a prompt and amicable resolution to this matter.

Sincerely,
Koleta Vee
License Compliance Services

I couldn't find any posts on the archives about Minden Pictures.  Does anyone have any experience with them?  Are they a subsidiary of Getty Images?  Are they more aggressive than Getty?  I'm a little nervous about trying to just ignore them for 2 years now. 
Thanks!

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Minden Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
The issue isn't about Minden Pictures.  It is about LCS (a division of Getty Images) who is handling it. That is what you need to get educated on. Plenty of posts on both LCS and Getty Images to refer to.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

dvmxtwo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  I read through a lot of the forum conversations before I sent them my certified letter.  I remember reading that one of the companies (can't remember the name right now) tends to be more aggressive than Getty and I was hoping somebody out there had some experience with Minden to help put my mind at ease.  I plan to ignore further correspondence with them until the statute of limitations runs out since they did not accept my offer or provide documentation of ownership. 

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
You are most likely thinking of Masterfile, they are a bit more aggressive, but they do not use LCS as their "collection agents", for lack of a better term.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

dvmxtwo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:01:10 PM »
So I just got a letter from LCS stating that their original letter was sent in error.  I guess my saga is over already?

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:37:17 PM »
It was sent in error because you were the wrong party or you didn't infringe?  What is the  error they stated?

So I just got a letter from LCS stating that their original letter was sent in error.  I guess my saga is over already?
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 07:48:48 AM »
"sent in error"...could mean anything the image in question is not registered properly, is for sale on multiple sites, is not even owned by minden..yada, yada, yada, douche bags like Koleta Vee at LCS are simply looking for a money grab..

Side-note" a quick search for Koleta Vee, showed the following as a result....another blogger who got a letter fro LCS, did some basic research and posted about it..problem here is this post contains in-accurate information regarding copyright, which makes me nuts...I would have gladly commented on his post pointing out his errors if I had the means to do so...maybe he'll see this post sometime in the future.. I think it's very important to have correct information, especially if you are trying to help other people.

https://kjfarnham.com/tag/koleta-vee/
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

dvmxtwo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
Here's the wording used in their letter:
"We recently learned that a letter was sent to your company with the reference number XXXX-XXXX-XXXX.  That notice was sent in error, and the referenced matter has been closed in our system.  You do not need to take any further action, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Best regards,
Koleta Vee
License Compliance Services"

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
Okay, it sounded like they admitted to making a clerical error.  I have no reason to not accept their statement. It sounds like you were a false positive that they caught.

I would say it is over.

However, although it was never meant for you, I would take the opportunity to make sure the images on your website are "clean" and accounted for.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.