Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: passing time...  (Read 3455 times)

Surfrider

• View Profile
passing time...
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
So is it a good thing or a bad thing when you respond then they go quiet?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: passing time...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
I guess it would depend on how long has it been?? and did you respond personally?.In my case no news was good news, but that does not apply to everyone I'm afraid.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:52:31 PM »
It's quite common for an extended quiet time before it gets escalated to a collection lawyer. Having said that, it doesn't automatically mean a long quiet time means it will get escalated. Sometimes they determine that some people are undesirable or unlikely to collect.

In my case, Getty Images accurately determined that I might not be so easy.  They never sent me an escalation letter, gave it to a collection agency, or collection lawyer.  They surprisingly just went away. It suited me just fine.

I never had to personally attack anyone as I would have done if it got escalated.

So is it a good thing or a bad thing when you respond then they go quiet?
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Surfrider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
Yep, we got the third letter now warning us of further legal action...they never mention that we did respond before the first demand due date.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
If I may ask, whom are you dealing with Getty? or someone else?

Yep, we got the third letter now warning us of further legal action...they never mention that we did respond before the first demand due date.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:25:32 PM »
It's going to be difficult to assist unless you are more forthcoming with information.

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Surfrider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:07 PM »
Sorry I didn't see the request for info earlier.  These letters just says License Compliance Team, Getty Images. The response was to D Bieker when they offered a lesser amount off the first letter. Apparently the business owner called when the first letter came in saying they had nothing to do with it they had someone do the website and that they couldn't afford this. I supposed a typical "ticked" off response they get from letter recipients. That was before we found you folks. 

This one was pretty brief; you were previously notified, to date we it has not been resolved or payment received. As notified unauthorized use constitutes copyright infringement...you can be found liable regardless of your knowledge. Then the failure to pay immediately will result in escalation, more legal action. Pretty standard I think.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.