Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Pixsy  (Read 4888 times)

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
Pixsy
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:29:36 PM »

Looks like Pixsy is now getting in on this game.  Anyone have any experience dealing with them?  They actually seem far more reasonable than the others. They demand only $200-$800 in their initial email (this is based on 4 different people I've been talking to lately).  Although it's still ridiculous, they seem to be behaving far more rationally than, say, Masterfile.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Pixsy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:56 AM »
haven't seen them before, but you can bet your ass I'll be doing a little back-end coding to block them from sucking my bandwidth...maybe I 'll craft something to send the bot to Getty Images, that should keep the bot occupied for a bit.. There are at least a couple others ones out there too, but their names are escaping me at the moment...besides tin-eye
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

The-Gobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

I've been reading up on these Pixsy people and it looks like this is a 100% pure copyright trolling shop - totally automated for the sole purpose of making a buck off this loophole in copyright law that allows you to demand money without an initial cease-and-desist. 

It's a pretty scary prospect and if these guys manage to scale up it's going to be a nightmare for every website owner on the internet.  ... that is until (and if) the law changes.

Any thought?

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:18 AM »
People have to get educated on how to protect themselves regarding dealing with 3rd-party images and take CYA measures.  There are parties that take unfair advantage and make bogus claims. In those cases, education plus getting a spine are the two requisites to beat them back.

ELI does its best to teach people to get a spine through education but unfortunately some never get one. They have more money than spine and some are willing to give the money up. Unfortunately, it only feeds the other side.

I can tell you from personal and professional experience that people don't tend to mess around with people who demonstrate they have a spine. It also helps to have a reputation of hitting back hard.

Hence, ELI has a bunch of strategies for people to use. There is something for everyone.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.