Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: is it possible to determine if image is a Getty in advance?  (Read 3652 times)

WebDesigner

• View Profile
hello everyone,

i am doing a little bit of proactive research to minimize the chances of ever having to deal with Getty demand letters.

sometimes i use images that i find on free websites and having read through this forum i have a growing concern of using an image that one day will garner me a getty demand letter.

i have run some tests with reverse Google Image searches and none of my test images linked back to Getty website, but some did link back to Shutterstock and other distributors

so my question is if there is a fool-proof way to determine if an image belongs to Getty?

also, is it possible for Getty to acquire rights to an image after it has already been distributed legally through other sources and then go after those people?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:57:03 PM by WebDesigner »

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: is it possible to determine if image is a Getty in advance?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 08:44:33 PM »
1. nothing is FREE...if your getting images from FREE websites, they are probably lifted from elsewhere.
2. if you have not "licensed" your images or created them yourself, chances are good you are infringing.
3. Getty owns many stock sites, so you would be best to cross reference all of them, or consider replacing all of the images in question.
4. Getty images aside...there are plenty of photogs/artists ( VK Tylor) who are not affiliated with Getty that also send demand letters...
5. Lets not forget about Corbis and Masterfile as well..

If I were you and were using "free" images, I'd be getting very busy, replacing all of those images..Do the right thing for your clients, before it's too late.

To answer your question, you can do reverse image searches using google or tineye.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:46:43 PM by Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi) »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
The only fool proof way is not to use any images that you have not taken or licensed yourself.  If you are looking for low cost quality images from a non-trolling company I use Pond5.com for my stock photos.  Many are in the 1-15 dollar price range.

hello everyone,

i am doing a little bit of proactive research to minimize the chances of ever having to deal with Getty demand letters.

sometimes i use images that i find on free websites and having read through this forum i have a growing concern of using an image that one day will garner me a getty demand letter.

i have run some tests with reverse Google Image searches and none of my test images linked back to Getty website, but some did link back to Shutterstock and other distributors

so my question is if there is a fool-proof way to determine if an image belongs to Getty?

also, is it possible for Getty to acquire rights to an image after it has already been distributed legally through other sources and then go after those people?

thanks in advance
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 03:59:39 PM »
I agree with Greg and Robert that the best way to proceed is to purchase a license for the use you intend to make of the image. NOTE: Many sites give you a boilerplate receipt that shows the amount paid and number of images but not which images were included in the purchase.  Email yourself a copy of the receipt with the image it pertains to if that is the case so you have some proof of what was covered by the purchase. And yes, taking it yourself is also a good option. Do not rely on"free sites" at all.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.