Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Potential Unauthorized Use of Copyrighted Material from SANDERS LAW PLLC  (Read 3001 times)

kgkg

• View Profile
Am sorry if this is not the right place

Here is my backstory I purchased a website from Flippa.com. The previous owner got a mail about copyright infringement and he forward to me via email and told them that I'm the new owner. A paralegal from sanders is now asking me how I would like to deal with it (the previous owner forwarded my email to them). I told her that I just purchased the site and once I was able to get all the files to my server I had removed all the images( I didn't even know it contained copyright as it's against flippa TOS to sell copyrighted material that seller does not own but I was planning on removing all the images regardless).

There is bunch of dates and a screenshot of infringement in question -which is 1 picture of a celebrity owned by FameFlynet, Inc.
There are dates in the mail (now a email copy – that was forwarded to me) Copyright Registration Date, Copyright Application Date , Date Taken all these dates are months before I purchased the website.

I told this to the paralegal but she said that the infringement date is something else ( not shown in the later)around 10/15 days after bid ended for the website(now it seem like they are just trying pin it on me instead). The previous owner changed DNS and send me file but there are over 700 pages so it took me a while to upload the website and start deleting all the images. I just recently finished changing layout, removing all the images etc.

I have filed a complaint against the seller on Flippa.

The pre-legal is trying to use the bid end date and trying to pin me as the owner at the time of infringement. I told her that it takes time for the DNS to change, server to be transferred, for me to look at the content etc.... They don't seem to listen.
I told her that this letter is not even addressed to me and I won't respond any further until it's addressed to me.

If they continue do I have right to claim/charge harassment?

Any advice?

It's a potential Us copyright violation and I'm a Canadian citizen.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
simply turn it around and put it back on the original owners shoulders..If you insist on contacting Sanders, tell them, if they continue to pursue you , you will file complaints with the state Attorney general, the bar associations they are afiiliated with AND you will invoice them for every second of time you need to waste on this.. That MIGHT make them go after the original owner..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
I agree with Robert.  This should go back to the seller, I'm sure there was no clause in the sale of the site saying the images were not registered and unusable.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.