Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Received copyright claim letter from Getty Images  (Read 3624 times)

edward1203

• View Profile
Received copyright claim letter from Getty Images
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »
Getty sent me a letter saying that I'm using one of their images on my business website. I remember getting the image from a royalty-free website.

In any case, they are demanding $260. I want to negotiate it down to $50.

What's my best arguments to negotiate this down? I want to get this resolved ASAP.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
Re: Received copyright claim letter from Getty Images
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:02:35 PM »
So when you got this image from the royalty free site, did you purchase it? "Royalty Free" does not mean "Free", it means you a time fee to use the image in different ways... $260.00 is a fairly reasonable amount considering Getty used to demand upwards of 1k for infringements concerning royalty free images... You can offer to pay them 50.00, they likely won't accept it, they may counter or outright refuse that amount. They are not going to sue you, it would cost them double that amount just to file papers.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Received copyright claim letter from Getty Images
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »
Robert is correct, royalty free does not mean free.  When you say you "remember getting the image from a royalty-free website" do you mean you purchased it there?  If so you should be able to go back to the site and get a copy of your purchase to provide proof and there is no need to try and negotiate Getty down. 
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.