Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Schneider Rothman IP Law v. Getty Images & Zemanta Lawsuit  (Read 20037 times)

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Schneider Rothman IP Law v. Getty Images & Zemanta Lawsuit
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »
LOL!

I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't hire Attorney Timothy B. McCormack for this.

</snark>
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
Wish I could be there to see that. :)

A familiar name has popped up on the updated docket.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/239559043/Schneider-Rothman-v-Getty-Images-Docket

Scott "Towels" Wilsdon has filed his notice of appearance on behalf of Getty Images.

It looks like Scottie wants to face off against Oscar again! This is going to get interesting.

I believe Getty will try to bribe their way out of this one to avoid the discovery process. If the money is high enough, I wouldn't blame Schneider Rothman from banking it if it comes to that.  Karmic justice for Getty who ends up paying out for an extortion letter they should never have sent out!

$100,000 to settle out sounds pretty good to me.  A nice round number.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

rock

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 02:26:11 AM »
Getty is defending THE LETTER. 
Isn't this lawsuit about Getty sending these letters without checking if an image is hotlinked before sending them?
Did they answer that?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »
What stood out to me was, Getty saying that their nice little letter included "if you feel you have recieved this in error please contact us directly"...every letter states that.. how many times have people gotten this letter in error and contacted getty only to be told to pay up anyway.. I myself got the letter "in error", but was still told to pay or face a lawsuit..These bastards lie at every turn..I sincerely hope Lisa Wilmer, Douglas Beaker and Scott Wilsdon get to experience some first class butt hurt...To bad Seattle attorney Timothy B.McCormack is not involved.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »
Amen.

And also when they present the list of items for discovery too. :)

I can't wait for the day that Joel or Oscar get to turn to the attorney representing Getty and say the magic words:

"I look forward to deposing your client"

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
Sorry to disappoint everyone.  This case is over.

http://www.sriplaw.com/dismissed-case-getty-images/
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
Bummer, does that mean the mistake didn't cost Getty a dime?  Or does the covenant not to sue come with a stipend?

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
well balls, I had a feeling it would come to something like this..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
Well damn, I hope it at least makes Getty think twice about who they pick on.

--Greg Troy

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
Do we have a copy of the "covenant not to sue".  It would be nice to see if they admit there was no copyright infringement.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.