Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: The best defense ...  (Read 14542 times)

SaraZ

• View Profile
The best defense ...
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:58:57 AM »
... is a good offense. I am new here and have joined because I feel there is strength in numbers and I wanted to suggest a way to turn the tables on Getty Images so that they are eventually prevented from continuing their present practices regarding these Demand Letters and the exorbitant amounts of damages they seek to extract from frightened recipients.

To begin with, I want to share my own experience at their hands, in case any of the things I have done will be helpful to anyone else. I have benefited from the many sites that offer help on this issue and would like to "pay it forward" if I can.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
MY EXPERIENCE

By way of background, I created the first version of my web site in June 1999. At the time, I was supporting myself through doing book production services for publishers and authors and had even been a managing editor for a small New Age publisher, so I was keenly aware of copyright law and issues at the time I created my site. The site has always provided its content at no charge to anyone, and downloadable copies have always been provided in printer-friendly format. My entire life has been about service and this web site is totally about service, as well.

When people wrote to me and asked for the material in book form because their printouts were unwieldy and falling apart, I obtained donations for printing the books, using my own skills to produce them. When my site provided support for people following 9/11, people asked if they could talk to others of like mind, so I created a private online forum to meet that need. I have not asked for donations for the forums service since November 2014, and scrape by each month through the generosity of others who give me donations because they wish to support my work in the world.

There have never been any ads or links to other sites at any time, and at present, there is only one book (a "Combined Works" edition) described on the site. There are no order forms, shopping carts, or other commercial trappings whatsoever. The description of the book links to the Amazon.com page about the book so that people can "Look Inside the Book" to see the annotated table of contents and read sample material. I carry no inventory and do not sell the book myself and I do not have an affiliate relationship with Amazon.com. The book is produced on demand from booksellers through LSI, and I have priced the book such that it barely covers printing costs in order to keep the price as low as possible.  This is a totally educational site, offered as a public service and there is no income that accrues from the site.

I have always tried to make use of either licensed RF images or ones that were offered at no charge. In recent times, the subject matter has sometimes required the use of images I obtained through a web search to illustrate a given point being discussed. There are very few of these, perhaps 20 out of a total of 555 images on the site, and I both give attribution when I can and have a "Fair Use" notice at the bottom of my home page. I was therefore understandably blindsided (and terrified) when I received that first letter from LCS. The amount of money they were asking for was impossible for me to pay, but it wasn't until I got back a reply to my response that I suspected something more was going on than what it seemed to be on the surface. I dug deeper and did a search on "copyright infringement scam" and realized the magnitude of what was going on and just how many people were being attacked.

The first sites I found were very helpful in both defining the problem and offering tactics for dealing with it. The most important suggestion was to request proof that there was a registered copyright behind the demand. I have since learned that it also has to be an EXCLUSIVE right, pursuant to Title 17 Chapter 5 USC:

"§ 501. Infringement of copyright
(b) The legal or beneficial owner of an exclusive right under a copyright is entitled, subject to the requirements of section 411, to institute an action for any infringement of that particular right committed while he or she is the owner of it."

In my particular case, neither Getty Images or its subsidiary Science Photo Library, has an exclusive right to the image they are trying to collect compensation for. In addition, I have copies of gettyimages.com and gettyimages.de pages for this image that clearly state (in English and German, respectively), ""Sorry, we are not able to license media #123737816 due to country, company and/or publication restrictions." (Here's the link to the page in English.) Getty Images can't license the image, and I found three other companies offering it for licensing, each with their own watermark that shows them as the "owner" of the image. The bottom line of this is that Getty Images (or their wholly owned LCS division) CAN'T proceed against me in court for the unlicensed use of this particular image.

That's a great relief to discover, but I am still very disturbed about the entire experience and it's not over yet, by a long shot. I am still relying on an assertion of fair use protection, which they continue to deny without providing support for their denial. The burden is on them to prove that they are entitled to compensation, and so far, I have gotten the same boilerplate replies that so many others have been given and they are not sufficient, so I am now waiting for their response to my most recent reply to them.

I will be very surprised if they simply drop the issue, but enough has gone back and forth that I am convinced that there are grounds for both criminal action against them (for extortion, fraud, and unfair business practices) and a class-action suit (civil litigation) asking for 1) injunctive relief (preventing them from making these demands if they don't already possess an exclusive right to the image itself); 2) restitution (paying back all of the sums they extracted illegally whenever they did not possess that exclusive right), and 3) punitive damages for causing emotional distress.

There are enough people who have been affected by this to make for a very solid base for a class action suit. I also have done some research into the various authorities that COULD prosecute the criminal charges, but I do not have confidence that they would on an individual basis, so there, too, a case would have to be made for the large number of victims being harmed through these illegal practices. They ARE illegal because they rely on fraudulent assertions of right, denials of the victim's assertions that are not based in law, and fabrication of grounds not based in fact, such as alleging injury that is not proven. They know that this can only be determined in a court setting and they are using fear to intimidate people into "settling" outside of court, using tactics that are illegal and meet the definitions for extortion and fraud.

That being said, it is much more difficult to PROVE criminality "beyond a reasonable doubt" than it is to prove liability through a "preponderance of evidence," the standard for civil litigation.

We live in times when the large corporations may be fined, but are "too big to jail," and Getty Images has created firewalls for itself that limit liability through its many corporations that it then "assigns" to handle its business. I don't have any objection to any company conducting its business fairly and I do feel that copyrights should carry some enforceable protection for the creator of the work. Under US copyright law, the copyright has to be registered with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress to be enforceable, and in my case, I got the usual boilerplate response to my request for proof of copyright:

"Copyright registrations are required prior to filing suit but are not required for the work to be protected under the copyright act. We would submit any registrations to the courts at that time and the requested copyright registration(s) would be made apparent through discovery. We have chosen to try to quickly close unauthorized use cases such as this by avoiding the burden and cost of litigation. Registration(s) are not required with respect to settlement, especially when the damages we seek are based on what Science Photo Library and its represented photographers have been injured as a result of the unauthorized use and now seeks to be made whole. These damages are calculated by the lost licensing fees, including our costs of enforcement. Had there been no infringement on our represented photographers' copyrights, we would not be attempting to recover these fees and the added efforts to pursue this unauthorized use matter."

They don't have a registered copyright and they don't have exclusive rights to this image, so they have no legal standing to claim compensation from me for use of this image. As soon as I realized that there was a problem with the image, I removed it from the site and the server and replaced it with another that is public domain. I also sent LCS proof of my having done so. I would NOT have purchased a license for this image even if I had been aware of it as being a licensable property. It just wasn't that good or important to me. It was a minor image to illustrate ONE point being made on a minor page, one of 125 pages in the site, and one of four images on that page.

If it would be helpful to anyone here for me to post the entire correspondence I have had with LCS to illustrate the tactics I used at each step, I will be happy to do so. However, my purpose in coming here is to "rally the troops" to take this bully down and prevent them from being able to continue their illegitimate attacks and from profiting from them. I am quite sure there are enough injured parties to collectively prove harm, but someone (not me) will have to take the responsibility to organize the effort and engage a lawfirm willing and able to proceed on a contingency basis. I will be 74 years old on Saturday, and do not not have either the energy or the inclination to make this a long-running focus for my life, so I am not the one to do this, but as long as I am here, I can offer comments and support.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 08:06:24 AM by SaraZ »

stinger

• View Profile
Re: The best defense ...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »
Bravo saraZ!

Count me in the camp willing to offer comments and support.  This site's legal adviser, Oscar Michelen, has made it clear that it would be very difficult to find a law firm willing to go after Getty.  And after watching their behavior for more than three years, I think I can see why.   When they find themselves behind a losing case, they find a way to settle out of court.

Still, I think it would be a great idea for you to publish your correspondence in your case.  If for no other reason, it would help establish the scope of what I consider the fraudulent activities they practice.  Had I had your correspondence available when I filed my bar complaint against Lauren Kingston of McCormack IP Law, it would have provided outside evidence that mine was not an isolated event with one attorney, but that this was a coordinated effort to use the threat of the law to extract large sums from innocent infringers.

I encourage you to publish your history with these scoundrels.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
SaraZ, your strategy is spot on. It's always refreshing to see a person do the necessary research and push back on this scheme. They may well continue to pester you with letters for a while. But, if the image in question only appeared on the site and not in the book, I'd say you are in the clear.

If you do a search for "class action suit" on this site, you will find the idea has been floated multiple times. Unfortunately it is a tremendous time suck and very, very costly. No attorney has been willing to take this on. Yet.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:19:52 AM »
Stinger,

Given what I have read on the web, I am not so sure that it would be difficult to find a lawfirm willing to take on Getty. The number of people who have been coerced into settling is probably in the many thousands by this time, and the damages (if awarded) would be quite large, making it attractive to handle the case on a contingency basis. I agree that class action suits are time-consuming, energy-sucking, and lengthy to put together and delays occur during the processing through the courts through counteractions and appeals. It can be easily two years or more, and given that there are signs of economic collapse looming this fall, it might not be feasible at all. If times were more normal, I think it would be worth pursuing, but times most certainly NOT normal, despite what the MSM would have you believe.

Jerry Witt, the image in question was not used in the book, only on that single web page.

Since you both have indicated interest in seeing the correspondence, I will post it, but because of the length and character limitations, I will have to post it in consecutive parts.

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 10:21:01 AM »
The first letter I got was dated Tuesday, May 12, 8:01 am (server time stamp). It's the usual, unsigned form letter, emphasis in original:

Science Photo Library Ltd., License Compliance Services
605 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98104, United States
Email: LCS@sciencephoto.com, Telephone: +1 855 387 8725

May 12, 2015

OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION - Case Number: 374455489

1. Our represented imagery is/was used on your website.

2. Our records do not show a valid license for this use of our imagery.

Your action is needed within 10 business days to resolve this matter:

Send us your valid license / authorization (LCS@sciencephoto.com)
    Or settle online: https://LCS.sciencephoto.com/4S0T4P3W

For inquiries: +1 855 387 8725
More details can be found below.

Attn: Operation Terra

Science Photo Library Ltd., a global provider of digital imagery, has noticed its represented imagery being used on your company's website. According to our records there is no valid license issued to your company for the use of the image(s).

Using imagery of Science Photo Library Ltd. without a valid license is considered copyright infringement and entitles Science Photo Library Ltd. to seek compensation for infringing uses. (Copyright Act, Title 17, United States Code)

To view the image(s) in question together with proof evidencing your use of these images on your website, go to: https://LCS.sciencephoto.com/4S0T4P3W

As an example, see below Science Photo Library Ltd.'s image "r9800128" as used on your website:
Original image  |  Proof of use

TO RESOLVE THIS MATTER - (Case Number: 374455489)

You are requested to take action within 10 business days of the date of this email, as follows:

If your company has a valid license / authorization for the use of the imagery, please email the license purchase / authorization information to LCS@sciencephoto.com

If your company does not have a valid license / authorization for the use of the imagery:

A $510.00 settlement payment should be remitted (see payment options below).
        We are willing to offer you, ex gratia, a 20% discount off the abovementioned settlement payment amount, provided that you submit payment within 10 business days of the date of this email. Failure to do so will result in the settlement amount being returned to its original amount upon the expiration of the aforesaid time period

Cease using the imagery immediately

REMITTANCE PAYMENT OPTIONS

Online payment: You can remit your payment online at:
    https://LCS.sciencephoto.com/4S0T4P3W

Check payment: You can remit payment by check to:
    License Compliance Services, Picscout Inc.
    605 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 400, Seattle, WA 98104, United States

Please include Reference: 4S0T-4P3W with check payment.

Alternatively, you may contact us at +1 855 387 8725
IMPORTANT NOTES

Ceasing use of the imagery does not release your company of its responsibility to pay for the imagery already used. As the unauthorized use has already occurred, payment for that benefit is necessary

You may have been unaware that this imagery was subject to license. However, copyright infringement can occur regardless of knowledge or intent. While being unaware of license requirements is unfortunate, it does not change liability

Find further information in the FAQ section at https://LCS.sciencephoto.com/

Science Photo Library Ltd. is committed to protect the interests, intellectual property and livelihoods of its contributors.
We believe that prompt cooperation will benefit all concerned parties. If you would like to continue to use the imagery in question, or if you believe you have mistakenly received this letter, please contact us by email at LCS@sciencephoto.com, or call +1 855 387 8725 and we will assist you.

This letter is without prejudice to Science Photo Library Ltd.’s rights and remedies, all of which are expressly reserved.

Sincerely,

Science Photo Library Ltd., License Compliance Services.
LCS@sciencephoto.com
http://www.sciencephoto.com/Licence-Compliance-Services

At first, I was under the impression that they offered a low-res version of this image at no charge. That explains part of my reply to them (see below), but when I later discovered that they wanted a licensing fee for even the low-res version, I took the image down immediately and informed them of having done so. In this first reply, I asserted fair use and inability to pay. My reply is time stamped May 12, 2015 9:10 am. I attached a copy of the original image I had used.

I was not aware that this image was one that you owned the rights to. I am attaching the original image I found on a web search using the word "wormhole." It is not the image as it exists in your image library #R980/0128. It was not watermarked and no source was given for the image on the search. Apparently someone else had already made use of your image and I was down the line from them in making use of it. I did not obtain it directly from you.

I have generally only used images for which I had purchased a license, but occasionally have made use of some images that I can't determine the ownership of under "fair use" laws. There is a "fair use" notice to that effect at the bottom of the home page of my site. It says, in part, "They [the images] are being used for nonprofit educational purposes and constitute an extremely minor portion of the content of this site. Therefore, I feel they constitute "fair use," as defined under Title 17, U.S. Code, sections 107-118." I always give attribution whenever possible.

The original image I found was 440 x 337 pixels. I altered it to 525 x 450 pixels, the size as it appears on my site. This is smaller than your definition of a low-res file on the page for #R980/0128. I chose this image because it visually illustrates a point being made in the article, and would be happy to attribute it to you as the source (with a link to your site) if that would satisfy your needs for recognition as the license-holder. If you insist on my taking it off the site, I will do that and use something else instead. Alternatively, I note that a low-res file can be requested and would like you to consider this my (retroactive) request for permission to use this as a low-res file (at no charge).

In any event, I am not able to pay you any fees in connection with this. I have no income to speak of, no savings, no assets of any kind, and am currently on welfare for my medical costs (Medicaid). I am 73 years of age and depend on donations from my readers for my ongoing livelihood. The annual hosting fee for the website was donated by a group of my readers in Turkey. I am asking you to waive any and all fees for the use of this image, and spare us both unnecessary trouble and distress. I totally respect your copyright and apologize for inadvertently infringing on it.

Please let me know if I can continue using the image as is, with the addition of an attribution and link to your site, or whether you require that I take it off my site and replace it with something else. A prompt reply will be appreciated.

Yours truly,
(name, phone number)

I got a reply the next day, time-stamped May 13, 2015 17:26 (5:26 pm). It was written in much smaller type and this time was signed by a Matthew J. Adams. Mr. Adams always uses very small type, which is a subtle way of conveying the "official" nature of his remarks. He is also very short on details at all times, withholding any information that is not absolutely essential to state his position.

Sara,

This case does not fall under "fair use". This means the case still stands and needs to be resolved. Are you a NPO? If so, please send me your IRS determination letter stating your 501(c)3 status and I will reduce the fee from $510.00 to $102.00 to close and settle.

Please review and advise.

Regards,
Matthew J. Adams
License Compliance Services, Science Photo Library Ltd
P: 1.855.387.8725 E: lcs@sciencephoto.com
Seattle, WA 98104

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
It was the speed at which he was willing to reduce the fee that set off warning bells in my head, which is what prompted me to look further because it felt like it might be a scam, "playing" me. Note that he simply stated that it did not fall under "fair use," without offering any support for that statement. I was still under the impression at this point that I could use the low-res image without charge. My reply is time-stamped May 13, 2015 18:39 (6:39 pm).

Matthew,

No, I am not a registered non-profit organization. I am just one person, doing a public service at no charge to anyone. I make no money doing this and consider this usage to be "fair use," as I understand that term. I thought that instead of being so aggressively punitive, your company would like to have a link back to its site so that my readers could see your products and possibly purchase them. However, if that isn't enough, I can't pay you anything at all. I just don't have the money to do that.

If you don't feel that you can grant me retroactive permission to use the low-res file at no cost (but with attribution and a link to the sciencephoto.com site), then I will remove the image and replace it with something else. I don't understand why you are asking me to pay you a fee when I did not obtain the image from you and there was no way that I could know that your company wanted a fee for its use. It was an innocent error, which I am asking you to forgive. Can you find it in your heart to do that?
(name)

At this point, I began to dig deeper. By doing a search under "copyright violation scam," I found several helpful articles. I was still very distressed and panicking, but managed to keep my emotions under control enough to write logically and reasonably. Having seen the tip of this iceberg, I began to reverse course and turn the tables on my accuser. The first step I took after seeing that they wanted a licensing fee for the low-res image was to take it down and replace it with another. Then I wrote Matthew as soon as I had done that, providing a link to prove that the image was no longer on the page. The email is time-stamped May 13, 2015 21:18 (11:18 pm).

Matthew,

I looked at the page for this image at sciencephoto.com again and saw that it says "A license fee will be charged for any media (low or high resolution) used in your project." I had not realized that your company charged for the low resolution image, also, so I have gone ahead and removed that image from my web site page and replaced it with one from NASA. They allow it for public use without paying for a license.

You can verify that I have done this by going to the page at (link).

For what it's worth, when I did a Google image search on the word "wormhole" just now, the image your company claims to own did not come up as a result. If they would have allowed me to create a backlink to that image on their site, that would improve their SEO results and lead more people to them, but now that is moot. I hope this action on my part is enough to satisfy your company. I can do no more.

(name)

This was the next reply, time-stamped May 14, 2015 12:37 pm.

Sara,

I understand your situation, but we will not be able to waive the fee on this case. To help you I have applied placed an additional 20% (40% total) discount on your case. This means you need to pay $306.00 to close and settle.

Regards,
Matthew J. Adams
Seattle, WA 98104

It was at this point that I decided to use reverse intimidation as a tactic. In each subsequent exchange, I upped the intensity of my refusal slightly. I never made any representations that I could not defend in court. I also spent an hour on the phone with an attorney in New York (not knowledgeable in IP matters) who is a colleague in my spiritual work and who has supported me financially at times. He encouraged me, "You can do this!" and convinced me that I was on the right track to handle this myself. Remember that this entire exchange is a substitute for trying the case in court, relying on most people being afraid of the cost and complexity of actually being taken to court and therefore "settling" out of court in order to avoid that. My reply is time-stamped May 16, 2015 7:42 am

Matthew,

As I advised you in my email on Wednesday, May 13, 2015, as soon as I realized that the sciencephoto.com page for this image stated that a license fee would be charged for even a low-resolution copy, I immediately removed it from the page on my site and from the server and sent you a link so that you could verify that I had done that. I have complied with the "cease and desist" portion of the original letter I received from your company, so all that remains to be dealt with is your demand for a monetary settlement for the alleged copyright violation.

In my Tuesday, May 12, 2015 response to the original letter (dated the same day), I explained that I thought my usage of that image came under the "fair use" doctrine and quoted the relevant portion of the "Fair Use" notice as it appears on the home page of my site.

Your reply to that assertion was, "This case does not fall under "fair use". This means the case still stands and needs to be resolved."

You gave no support for that statement, and since there is no Matthew J. Adams listed in the membership roster of the Washington State Bar Association, I have to assume that you are NOT an attorney licensed to practice law in Washington State. Therefore, I have to question both the authority and the validity of your statement and request you to substantiate it further.

To evaluate fair use of copyrighted material, the courts consider four factors:

1. the purpose and character of the use
2. the nature of the copyrighted work
3. the amount and substantiality of copying, and
4. the market effect.

(17 U.S.C. 107)

To assist you in replying to those individual points in order to justify your statement that my usage did NOT qualify under "fair use," let me state that my site has a total of 125 pages, contains a total of 555 images, and the page in question contains a total of four images, only one of which was the one you allege did not qualify under the "fair use" doctrine. I had made use of a single instance of that image and that image has now been removed.

If you cannot satisfactorily demonstrate that this was NOT "fair use," then there is nothing further to discuss. I will consider the entire matter closed, and I will need you to acknowledge that in writing.

Regarding your demand for a monetary settlement, based on some research I did on this matter, I want to call your attention to the following facts:

When I did a reverse image search on tineye.com, I discovered that this image (#123737816) is the property of Getty Images. The image is watermarked GettyImages, Science Photo Library. That page also contains the following disclaimer: "Sorry, we are not able to license media #123737816 due to country, company and/or publication restrictions," so it appears that the alleged "owner" of the image (Getty Images) is NOT able to license it.

The company you appear to be working for is Getty Images (your email address is @lcservices-inc.com, which is registered to Getty Images at the same street address you list for yourself, below), so I have to question how you can demand a monetary settlement for an image that your employer says it cannot license. Your department is called "license compliance services," so if Getty cannot provide a license for the image, how can it demand a settlement for its unlicensed use?

The sciencephoto.com domain is registered at the same street address as sciencephoto.co.uk: 327-329 Harrow Road, London, W9 3RB, GB. The registrant is listed as Science Photo Library, the same organization mentioned in the GettyImages watermark I mentioned above. Putting that together (equating sciencephoto.com with Getty Images as the "parent" company), I have to conclude that sciencephoto.com cannot license this image for use in the US, either.

Further, when I did a reverse image search through Google images, I found that visualphotos.com claims ownership of this image and offers it for licensing under a number of usage categories, none of which include exclusive licensing, so no loss of market can be claimed for the kind of usage I was making of the image before I removed it from my site and server. The image shown on that page is watermarked VisualPhotos and has a stock number that is very similar to the one used on the sciencephoto.com site.

In attempting to obtain a quote for a license for that image from visualphotos.com, I discovered that yet a THIRD site is offering this same image for licensing. The image shown on that page is watermarked ScienceSource. It has a stock number that is substantially different than the numbers used at sciencephoto.com and visualphotos.com.

In view of the above (including your unsupported rejection of my "fair use" assertion and the absence of any proof from you that you or your company actually own a registered copyright for this image that is valid under US copyright laws), I am not convinced that you or your company are entitled to any monetary settlement whatsoever.

Therefore, please supply me with 1) a detailed explanation as to why and how my prior usage of this image did not qualify as "fair use" and 2) documented proof that you or your company holds the copyright on this image and is therefore entitled to seek settlement for its use. A scanned copy (pdf) of the actual copyright registration for this particular image, issued by the Copyright Office department of the Library of Congress, will suffice. If you cannot supply both of these items, please acknowledge in writing that you do not have a valid claim for a monetary settlement and that you are closing this case without seeking further action or compensation from me.

Yours truly,
(name)

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »
It was 12 days before I got the next response. Note the brevity and lack of support for the assertions. It is time-stamped May 28, 2015 11:23 am. By this time, I had sent copies of all correspondence to my lawyer friend in New York and another lawyer friend in London, plus links to some of the articles I had found on the web that identified this as extortion. They both agreed that it was distortion and advised me to not pay anything until and unless LCS could provide proof of ownership of the copyright and proof that it wasn't fair use.

Sara,

I just got a response from our research and legal departments and they have confirmed that his does not fall under "fair use".
This means the case is still valid and the fee needs to be paid for the past usage of the copyrighted image.

Regards,
Matthew J. Adams
Seattle, WA 98104

NOTE: At no time did I ever use the phone numbers provided to discuss any part of this issue. Nothing that is not in writing is enforceable, and if it does go to court and it's only "I said" or "he said" assertions or relies on a recording that does not contain having informed the other party that you are recording the conversation and includes the beep tones, you cannot prevail on that evidence alone.  My reply is time-stamped May 28, 2015 14:17 (2:17 pm). 

Matthew,

You still have not given me any reason that this does not fall under "fair use." The burden is on you to prove this and just because you say that someone else has said that it doesn't fall under fair use is not sufficient for me and it would not be sufficient in a court proceeding. You are the complainant here and it is incumbent on you to prove that this was not "fair use." I maintain that it was. If you are relying on your research and legal departments, then they are the ones to supply those reasons, but they have not done so, either.

The image was only used for educational purposes, was only used once, and was removed as soon as you notified me that there was a problem with it. It was only one image out of 555 images on the site, and it was only one of four images used to illustrate points being made in the text on the specific page where it was used (one of 125 pages on the site, and a minor one at that).

As far as I am concerned, this IS "fair use" because of how it was used, plus the fact that there is no demonstrated market impact, and until you can show me how this is NOT fair use, I do not intend to give you any money whatsoever. Getty Images even states that it can't license that image, so how can it claim compensation for its unlicensed use?

You have also not complied with my request for proof that you/your company holds the copyright to this image or that it is even registered with the Copyright Department of the Library of Congress. Just as you asked me for documentation to prove that I was a 401(c)(3) non-profit organization (to receive a reduced "fee"), I feel it is incumbent on you to provide the documentation that shows you are entitled to seek compensation for the use of this image. You have not done so and that is also a requirement for you to fulfill.

You still have not convinced me that you or your company is entitled to anything from me, and until you do, you will not receive anything at all.

(name)

This time, Matthew was very quick to respond. His email is time-stamped May 28, 2015 16:57 (4:57 pm)It is in THIS letter that he makes material misrepresentations that could rise to provable fraud. The documents he attached did not address the issues I had raised and did not satisfy the question of copyright ownership. They did demonstrate how compartmentalized they have structured things so that they are assigning various "powers" to their individual incorporated divisions, which limits the liability of any action to that corporation and protects all of the other parts that are not directly involved. It's a giant octopus with all of these corporate "arms" and the "head" is therefore protected.

Sara,

1.      The burden is on you to prove it is fair use, not us.
2.      Provide the IRS determination letter stating your 501(c)3 status and we will reduce the fee from $510.00 to $102.00.
3.      Copyright registrations are required prior to filing suit but are not required for the work to be protected under the copyright act. We would submit any registrations to the courts at that time and the requested copyright registration(s) would be made apparent through discovery. We have chosen to try to quickly close unauthorized use cases such as this by avoiding the burden and cost of litigation. Registration(s) are not required with respect to settlement, especially when the damages we seek are based on what Science Photo Library and its represented photographers have been injured as a result of the unauthorized use and now seeks to be made whole. These damages are calculated by the lost licensing fees, including our costs of enforcement. Had there been no infringement on our represented photographers' copyrights, we would not be attempting to recover these fees and the added efforts to pursue this unauthorized use matter.

4.      Attached is the rights holder form for the image in question, along with the power of attorney.

Review and advise when you will remit payment.

Regards,
Matthew J. Adams
Seattle, WA 98104

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:31:11 AM by SaraZ »

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »
At this point I raised the intensity of my refusal to the point where they will either have come back with an actual threat (which I can use against them) or go away. Everything I said in this reply was intended to convince him that they would do better to use their energy on more gullible victims. I have not heard anything back since then, but if they do, I am ready with the observation that they don't own an exclusive license and therefore have no legal standing to proceed against me.

If they actually threaten me, I am prepared to file a complaint against them with whatever authorities (state and federal) would have jurisdiction, but would expect nothing to come of that except an expenditure of time and energy from my end. That's why I would really like all of those thousands of people to join together against Getty. In a class action suit proceeding, Getty could be required to provide a detailed list (names, addresses, amount paid) of everyone who "settled" with them, and each person would be contacted informing them of their ability to participate in the action. My reply is time-stamped May 28, 2015 17:46 (5:46 pm)

Matthew,

I did not claim that I was a registered non-profit organization. I told you that in my response to your prior offer to reduce the fee. I just offered that as an example of the kind of proof you had demanded from me before, because I am requesting that you provide me with proof that you are entitled to some compensation now. The documents you sent do not satisfy my request. Since you are acting privately, outside of the court system, I am asking for the same documentation that you would have to provide IN court, through discovery.

You are mistaken about the burden of proof. If this was taken to court, you would be the plaintiff and it would be your burden to prove that it was NOT fair use and that you were entitled to compensation for the use of the image.You want me to "settle" with you out of court, but you have not given me any specific reasons why I should give you anything at all. You say that this was not "fair use," but have not given me any reasons why it wasn't.

You assert injury, but do not prove that, either. Since Getty Images can't license this image, and there is no other source for it that offers it for exclusive use, there is no injury. It is freely available for use and my prior use has not infringed on that. As I have already informed you, the image is being marketed by at least three other sites and each one asserts that it has the rights to license the image. However, they are not making claims of injury. You are, and you are Getty Images, who cannot license this image. Photo Science Library is a division of Getty Images, as I have already demonstrated.

I would not have ever used the image if I had had to pay for it, so the "loss" you claim for the license I did not and would not buy is a fabrication, an imaginary concept, not based in fact. I did not cause any actual loss to the person who created the image.

I am attaching Getty Images' own publication, "Copyright 101." On page 4, it says, "“Fair Use” or “Fair Dealing” doctrine allows limited copying of copyrighted works for education and research purposes. These very limited uses do not require permission from the copyright owner."

On page 9, it says (in response to the question, "Are there any exceptions?"), "Yes. U. S. Copyright law allows certain “fair use” of an image in limited circumstances,
such as criticism, comment, teaching, scholarship and research."

I contend that my prior use of this image meets both of those criteria. My entire site is educational, providing spiritual teachings that many people have found of value to them in living their lives. Until you can provide me with specific and concrete reasons as to why my prior use of this image was NOT "fair use," there is nothing more to discuss and I will not pay you anything.

I was employed as a publishing professional for over 20 years. I am perfectly aware of copyright laws. I know that a copyright is created when the image or text or music or photo or movie, etc. is created. However, in order to be enforceable, it has to be registered with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress. I also did paralegal work and have extensive background in the legal system, so please -- until and unless you can show me exactly how and why my prior use of this image is NOT fair use, please do not bother me with this matter again.

I am sending copies of this correspondence to attorneys in New York and London, FYI. They have both advised me that this demand is excessive and I should not pay you anything until and unless you can prove that this was NOT "fair use.".

(name)

Well, that's it so far. I wish I had closure on this at this point in time, because it's always there in the background, nagging at me, but being the cowards that bullies usually are, they will probably slink away and not admit that they can't take me to court on this. If they DO try again, I will post the correspondence here. If I don't, it's because I haven't gotten a reply. BTW, I don't see any way of using attachments, so I can't provide you with the documents he sent or the one I sent to him.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:04 AM »
Stinger,

Given what I have read on the web, I am not so sure that it would be difficult to find a lawfirm willing to take on Getty. The number of people who have been coerced into settling is probably in the many thousands by this time, and the damages (if awarded) would be quite large, making it attractive to handle the case on a contingency basis.

I highly dount any lawyer would take this on pro-bono or contingency, one off the first steps is to get a judge to deem the suit as "class worthy", so there is time and money involved in taking a chance that it may be denied..no lawyer is going to pay for that out of his/her pocket. What you have to realize is that sending demand letters is not "illegal", unethical and douche bag like yes, but not illegal.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
This is a great example as to why one should not engage them. People tend to make statements that could come back and bite them. This statement is not entirely true ( even though you state you know copyright law ):

"However, in order to be enforceable, it has to be registered with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress."

Images, works, ect do NOT have to be registered in order to enforce them, BUT it does make the amount collectable much lower.

This statement could also backfire:

"My entire site is educational, providing spiritual teachings that many people have found of value to them in living their lives. Until you can provide me with specific and concrete reasons as to why my prior use of this image was NOT "fair use," there is nothing more to discuss and I will not pay you anything."

in Terms of fair use, you would need to use the image as the educational part, you're site being educational would not be enough. To me it sounds as if the image was just that an image, which was not used for criticism, education, research nor was the image commented on.. I'm no lawyer, but I don't see you winning a fair use argument here. Where you might win is in the fact that the image is available for sale on multiple sites, but then again maybe not as you have freely admitted to them that you grabbed it elsewhere downstream. It is the end-users responsibility to use due diligence in sourcing the image, not having a watermark is not sufficient, as that is not required by law, add to the fact that had you researched the image before hand, you would have known it was available at multiple sources...you just gave them this little tidbit which does not help you case in any way...

Not that any of this matters, I highly doubt they wll file suit over a single image, but you never know..in the meantime I would expect to hear from them again.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 11:39:16 AM »
Robert,

You do make some valid points. However, there is ONE IP law firm (Schneider, Rothman IP Law Group) who was sent a Getty Demand Letter and sued Getty successfully that might have a personal stake sufficient to take Getty on again. Your point about the sufficiency of the class is the sticky part because any firm would have to assemble a sufficient list of members of the class to pass that test and Getty certainly wouldn't be helpful for that. However, there are other sites besides ELI that could be solicited to join the effort and the action. For example, there is this site and this one. The latter has members who have joined in the fight against extortion, and there are other sites that could be found that might also join in. I haven't done an extensive search, but I'm sure there are resources that could be mined.

If there was a law firm that could provide guidance in terms of what to look for, I am sure we could act as our own "troll corps" to give them what they need without them having to expend the energy to find it themselves. Just a thought. I would love to take the bully down, but it may not be possible, given the timing and the world's economic fragility.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:19:05 PM by SaraZ »

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 12:05:11 PM »
They did demonstrate how compartmentalized they have structured things so that they are assigning various "powers" to their individual incorporated divisions, which limits the liability of any action to that corporation and protects all of the other parts that are not directly involved. It's a giant octopus with all of these corporate "arms" and the "head" is therefore protected.

In spite of Robert's truthfullisms, I might be falling in love with SaraZ as only a fellow Getty hater can.  You hit it right on the head when you describe the octopus like compartmentalization they are building to insulate themselves.

I would support a class action suit against Getty in any way I can.  Unfortunately, the courts may not consider me a victim, because I did not pay one dime to Getty or McCormack IP Law.  However, I have a lot of time and effort tied up in research, letter writing, complaints to Bar Associations and the like.  If only the class action could compensate me for that.

I agree with Robert that they will not file suit over one image, particularly not to someone who describes themselves as broke.  But I really appreciate the time, effort and thought you have put into this.  It took me a year or more to realize that they weren't really reading anything I sent them.  It was at that point, after I had laid my case out as clearly as possible, that I realized they are more likely to just go away if I ignored them.  From a time value of money point of view, that is what I would recommend you do.  And if they refer this to McCormack IP Law, I would ignore them even more.  In my opinion they are only used as a collections agency disguised as a law firm to instill fear in letter recipients.

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
This is a great example as to why one should not engage them. People tend to make statements that could come back and bite them. This statement is not entirely true ( even though you state you know copyright law ):

"However, in order to be enforceable, it has to be registered with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress."

Images, works, ect do NOT have to be registered in order to enforce them, BUT it does make the amount collectable much lower.

Copyright Law of the United States of America
and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code
Chapter 5
§ 410. Registration of claim and issuance of certificate
(c) In any judicial proceedings the certificate of a registration made before or within five years after first publication of the work shall constitute prima facie evidence of the validity of the copyright and of the facts stated in the certificate. The evidentiary weight to be accorded the certificate of a registration made thereafter shall be within the discretion of the court.

(d) The effective date of a copyright registration is the day on which an application, deposit, and fee, which are later determined by the Register of Copyrights or by a court of competent jurisdiction to be acceptable for registration, have all been received in the Copyright Office.

I used the image in question on October 4, 2011. It is quite possible that the period for registering it has passed, but there is also the curious disclaimer made by Getty on its USA (gettyimages.com) and German (gettyimages.de) sites that they can't license this particular image. One possible explanation is found in Chapter 6 of Title 17:

Chapter 6
Importation and Exportation
§ 602 . Infringing importation or exportation of copies or phonorecords5

(a) Infringing Importation or Exportation.—

(1) Importation.—Importation into the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords of a work that have been acquired outside the United States is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under section 501.

(2) Importation or exportation of infringing items.—Importation into the United States or exportation from the United States, without the authority of the owner of copyright under this title, of copies or phonorecords, the making of which either constituted an infringement of copyright, or which would have constituted an infringement of copyright if this title had been applicable, is an infringement of the exclusive right to distribute copies or phonorecords under section 106, actionable under sections 501 and 506.

I am operating in the dark as to the actual facts of the case because Getty has not cooperated in giving them to me. I really don't know the strength of my arguments without knowing the facts, but have relied on challenging their right to compensation based on the lack of proof that they are entitled to it.

This statement could also backfire:

"My entire site is educational, providing spiritual teachings that many people have found of value to them in living their lives. Until you can provide me with specific and concrete reasons as to why my prior use of this image was NOT "fair use," there is nothing more to discuss and I will not pay you anything."

in Terms of fair use, you would need to use the image as the educational part, you're site being educational would not be enough. To me it sounds as if the image was just that an image, which was not used for criticism, education, research nor was the image commented on.. I'm no lawyer, but I don't see you winning a fair use argument here. Where you might win is in the fact that the image is available for sale on multiple sites, but then again maybe not as you have freely admitted to them that you grabbed it elsewhere downstream. It is the end-users responsibility to use due diligence in sourcing the image, not having a watermark is not sufficient, as that is not required by law, add to the fact that had you researched the image before hand, you would have known it was available at multiple sources...you just gave them this little tidbit which does not help you case in any way...

I didn't supply a link to the actual page here on this site because I didn't think it was germane to get into a discussion of the content of that page and I agree that I did not go into detail about how this image was used in an educational way. However, now that you have raised this point, here is the link to the page in question. The image that Getty was pursuing me for has been replaced by the image of a wormhole from nasa.gov. It is illustrating the concept of a wormhole connecting two stargates, which is what the text is about. I did provide Matthew with the link to that page and he could see it for himself.

Not that any of this matters, I highly doubt they wll file suit over a single image, but you never know..in the meantime I would expect to hear from them again.

Well, since they don't have an exclusive right to that image and state that they can't license it, I don't think they have legal standing to proceed. I would be surprised it they let it go (it doesn't seem to be their pattern). If they come back to me, I will post the correspondence here and also send it to my lawyer friends in New York and London. Until and unless they can prove to me that they have a right to compensation under law, I won't pay them anything. I have other cards I can play if it comes to actually crunching the numbers, but don't want to give away my hand until necessary. If it drags out long enough, given what I think is coming this fall, it will all fall away and become moot. Time will tell the truth of all things.

SaraZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »
I just want to clarify something. I am not a "Getty Hater." I don't take this personally. A piece of software found the image on my site and another piece of software used by someone who is just doing their job sent me a form letter. However, the amount being demanded was egregious and the tactics employed were excessive, in my opinion. I despise bullies and tyrants and felt that there was a burden of proof called for before I would cave in to the demand.

I want to make it clear that if at any time I feel I have erred, I always admit it promptly and if there were damages (I can't think of any time there were), I would make restitution to the best of my ability. However, this image is being offered by one of the sites licensing it for $25 for five years of personal use at the low-resolution size I used. I know because I got that result off its pricing tool on the site. If LCS had asked for say, $25 for the image and another $20 for the few minutes it took to send that form letter, I would probably have paid it, even though that amount is still a hardship for me. But asking $510 for a single use of a low-res image was so over-the-top, it led me to look further and finally decide to not comply with the demand until they could satisfy my request to prove that 1) they had a legal, exclusive right to compensation; and 2) that my use did not qualify under the "fair use" provisions of copyright law.

Given the feedback I have gotten today on this site, I am aware that this may drag on for awhile longer and am resigned to ride it out,  however it goes. My father raised me to follow his own example, which was to do what it right, not what is expedient. I will go on with my life and deal with LCS when and if I need to, and while I will be much more careful in the future than I was in the past, I still do not feel I did anything wrong in using this image the way I did. I took it down as soon as I realized there was a problem.

LCS is paid to exact settlements. They are bounty hunters, tracking down people to send demand letters to. While I agree that a demand letter per se is not illegal, I do feel the amount they are asking for in my case (and in so many others I have read about) is not appropriate to the situation. It may not come to anything or they might decide to take me to court. I accept that and will not make myself miserable about it.

One more thing, if someone can find a law firm that is right to handle a class action suit and they require a retainer to take the case, there is something called crowdfunding as a way of raising funds through the Internet. One site that ranks funding sites is here; Forbes has a list here; and there are others. Just do a search on "crowdfunding" to see more. This would also create more awareness of the problem, just through the process alone.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 03:28:58 PM by SaraZ »

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
I'm aware there are other sites out there, and I appreciate your voraciousness in this matter, and being truthful again..if the image is for sale in multiple sites, I find it nearly impossible (99.99999999999999%) that anyone would spend $395.00 on filing fees for a $510.00 claim.

I'm also fully aware of the rothman law firm, they are literally down the road from me, and I was looking forward to sitting in that court-room, but it never went that far, so I wouldn't say they sued Getty and won...more like they filed suit, got what they wanted ( a retraction) and then withdrew their own suit..which in my eyes is different from "winning", but maybe thats just me...don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be a dick head here, I would love nothing more to than to see Getty and those assholes that collect for them ( Timothy B. McCormack) take it the hard way, but one must be realistic as well.

Robert Krausankas

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.