Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Unauthorized Use of Science Photo Library Ltd Image(s)  (Read 17964 times)

lakesidegal

• View Profile
Unauthorized Use of Science Photo Library Ltd Image(s)
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »
Earlier this week I received a classic demand letter regarding one of the images on my website. (See below with unique info hidden.)
I have removed the image and started doing some investigating. The image in question is available through Science Photo Library here: http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/303436/view as well as through iStockphoto ($33) here: http://www.istockphoto.com/vector/human-body-antique-medical-illustration-8567148?st=29b6193. The version that Science Photo Library has is on an orange rectangle where mine was on a purple rounded cornered square. I am quite sure originally when I used this I had a license for it from iStock. I've been back and forth with the people at LCS sending my receipt from iStock and explaining that I have a license and that the image is not an exact match because of the background to which they've replied:
====
Infringement arises if the whole of the image has been copied or a substantial part of the image has been copied.  Any use of a manipulated file or derivative work (eg. cropping, color changes, layering, rotating, etc) without the appropriate licenses constitutes copyright infringement. While your company has been utilizing a modified version of the imagery in question, we believe a substantial part of our original image has been copied.

Please advise on how you will take care of the settlement fee.

Matthew J. Adams
License Compliance Services, Science Photo Library Ltd
P: 1.855.387.8725 E: lcs@sciencephoto.com
605 Fifth Avenue South, Suite 400
Seattle, WA 98104
====

I'm going to consult a copyright lawyer but this seems like it's not defensible on their end.
A. The image is available elsewhere and I have purchased it.
B. The image is a vintage illustration. (Note their site also has works by Divinci)
C. My image doesn't match the image they have posted because I'm using a different background.

How can they get away with this? What do I do next?

===original letter=====
License Compliance Services, Science Photo Library Ltd.

Seattle, WA 98104
United States

08-Dec-2014

Dear XXXXX,
It has come to the attention of Science Photo Library Ltd that an image or image(s) represented by Science Photo Library Ltd are being used or have been used online by your company. According to our records there is no valid license issued to your company for the use of the image(s).

To view the image(s) in question together with the usage(s) found on your company’s website, go to: https://lcs.sciencephoto.com/XXXXX

Using a Science Photo Library Ltd image without a valid license is considered copyright infringement and in violation of the Copyright Act, Title 17, United States Code, entitling Science Photo Library Ltd to seek compensation for infringing uses. Science Photo Library Ltd is committed to protect the interests, intellectual property and livelihoods of the contributors with whom we work.

To resolve this matter (Case Ref: XXXX):

If a valid license has been issued for the image(s) in question:

Please email the license purchase information to LCS@sciencephoto.com within 10 business days of the date of this letter.

If a valid license proof cannot be found:

Please cease using the image(s) in question immediately.

In addition, a $660.00 settlement payment should be received within 10 business days of the date of this letter. The payment options are detailed below. Ceasing use of the image(s) does not release your company of its responsibility to pay for the image(s) already used.

Remittance Payment Options (settlement fee: $660.00)

You can remit your payment online at:
https://lcs.sciencephoto.com/XXXXX
Remit Check Payment To:
         License Compliance Services
         Picscout Inc.
         Seattle, WA 98104
         United States

Please include Reference Number XXXX with check payment.

Alternatively, you may contact us at +1 855 387 8725.

We believe that prompt cooperation will benefit all concerned parties.

If you would like to continue to use the image(s) in question, or if you believe you have mistakenly received this letter, please contact us by email at LCS@sciencephoto.com, or call +1 855 387 8725 and we will assist you.

This letter is without prejudice to Science Photo Library Ltd’s rights and remedies, all of which are expressly reserved.

Sincerely,

LCS@sciencephoto.com

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
Re: Unauthorized Use of Science Photo Library Ltd Image(s)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 03:24:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I can tell you that this address....
===original letter=====

Seattle, WA 98104
United States

...is Getty Images/Pic-Scout and Getty/Pic-Scout does care about the facts they are just about the money.  If you have licensed the image from i-stock and have record of that purchase I don't think you have mush to worry about.  If this is the case I personally would tell them to pound sand and if you contact me again I will file complaints with the Washington Attorney Generals office, the BBB and bill them for any future time used to deal with the issue.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »
istock is owned by getty, whom also owns picscout, what a bunch of incestuous fucktards they are.. If it were me, and I had a receipt I would tell them to pound sand..if they sue you, they will loose as you can show you purchased the image in good faith..hell I'd go so far as to file a counter-suit if they sued, turns the wheels on those douche bags.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
I stock shows it here
http://www.istockphoto.com/vector/human-body-antique-medical-illustration-8567148?st=29b6193
The credit says
Medical illustration depicting the upper part of the human body. Published in Systematischer Bilder-Atlas zum Conversations-Lexikon, Ikonographische Encyklopaedie der Wissenschaften und Kuenste (Brockhaus, Leipzig) in 1844. Photo by N.Staykov (2008)

So it appears that this is a photo of an underlying image originally created by someone else.  The underlying images would not belong to them.  On can get a copyright on a derivative-- but then they have to prove you copied their derivative. So... are they saying yours is watermarked and so can show you copied their copyrighted copy of the original? And not someone elses copy of the orginal? Or even your own copy of the original.
They can't "own" the underlying original -- if they could, I could gain copyright on the original Mona Lisa by going to the Louvre and taking a photo-- and so could anyone else! 

It would be rather interesting to hear what a judge would say about their copyright claim if they did pursue it.
It would be interesting to read what Oscar says too.

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
They have no copyright on this image. Unless they made transformative alterations to the underlying work, the image is not theirs to claim.

Based on what you said so far, my reply would be simple:

The image is in the public domain. Not realizing this at the time, you purchased a license from their affiliated company, iStock photo for a few dollars. If they pester you again with further requests for documentation, they must provide a chain of title showing how they have the exclusive rights to this image. If they do continue to ask for further clarification you will provide it. However you charge $200 an hour for this service and bill in half hour increments. You will submit an invoice for any further time they cause you to spend on this issue.

Done.
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
This.

They have no copyright on this image. Unless they made transformative alterations to the underlying work, the image is not theirs to claim.

Based on what you said so far, my reply would be simple:

The image is in the public domain. Not realizing this at the time, you purchased a license from their affiliated company, iStock photo for a few dollars. If they pester you again with further requests for documentation, they must provide a chain of title showing how they have the exclusive rights to this image. If they do continue to ask for further clarification you will provide it. However you charge $200 an hour for this service and bill in half hour increments. You will submit an invoice for any further time they cause you to spend on this issue.

Done.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »
The moral of the excellent feedback everyone has provided is that it absolutely pays to research and vet these claims (especially if they are related to the Getty Images/Picscout operation).

Of course, to the average newcomer, they don't generally know where to start. However, fortunately for the Google-experienced, ELI (and all its various free and premium-paid resources) exists for anyone willing to be educated.

I am clearly biased (but I also say it because I believe it), there is no better resource on the Internet than ELI when it comes to photo-related infringement letter issues and knowing how those "incestuous fucktards" (as RK calls them, LOL!) operate.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.