Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: This could possibly be a good thing for image letter recpients  (Read 4661 times)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
I have not done ANY research on this case, from what I gather it is in regards to  downloads other than stock images ( movies, videos & music) whoever the decision may be of assistance to recipients of demand letters regarding stock photos...

A blow for speculative invoicing?
Yesterday the ruling in the Golden Eye case was handed down. It's overall pretty useful news for those who've been concerned aboutthe practice of what's been called 'speculative invoicing.'

This practice sees copyright owners or representatives writing en masse to alleged infringers of copyrights (in this case Golden Eye were seeking around 9,000 of O2's customers' details), demanding large sums (typically over £500, and in this case £700) with threats of court action attached. The letters tend to overstate or misrepresent the case and hence pressure the consumer into settling. In reality cases are hardly ever brought to court. When they are brought in front of the courts ACS:Law and Golden Eye have sought to discontinue the cases, and thus avoid judicial scrutiny, if a default judgment cannot be obtained.

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2012/a-blow-for-speculative-invoicing

I also like the new phrase presented here "Speculative Invoicing"
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.