Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Georgia Supreme Court Hands Unanimous Win to Matthew Chan & ELI  (Read 12929 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
I am pleased to announce that ELI won an important battle for online free speech that people cannot use the GA stalking statute to wholesale muzzle websites from speaking ABOUT a person, even if it is rude, politically incorrect, or offensive.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/all-justices-concur-eli-wins-internet-free-speech-appeal-in-georgia-supreme-court/

Further, others cannot wholesale remove entire groups of messages ABOUT someone even if one party is violating an exception to the First Amendment.

ELI fought this battle in through 3 courts: the Muscogee County GA Superior Court, the GA Court of Appeals, and finally the GA Supreme Court.

Read the GA Supreme Court decision here: http://www.gasupreme.us/sc-op/pdf/s14a1652.pdf

ELI is stronger and more prominent than it has ever been in its entire history launched in 2008. The significance and impact of the Chan v. Ellis GA Supreme Court decision helps firmly entrench that what ELI does has been and continues to be legal.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:38:09 PM by Matthew Chan »
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Mulligan

• View Profile
Re: Georgia Supreme Court hands unanimous win to Matthew Chan & ELI
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Matthew, congratulations to you and your legal team for this very important victory for free speech and the right to express what's on our minds.

All of us online can breathe a little easier, knowing that at least in Georgia we can now legally poke fun at copyright trolls and collection agents like Timothy "Boy, I Sure Screwed the Pooch and Revealed How Little I Know about Law When I Failed to Present a Rational Argument Before the Georgia Supreme Court and Ended Up Looking and Sounding Like Daffy Duck Overdosing on Nitrous Oxide" McCormack.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:55:42 PM by Mulligan »

stinger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Mulligan, let me concur in congratulating Matthew and his legal team and let me also applaud you for coining Timmy's new moniker.

The only problem I see is that to get Google to pick up on it correctly, we may have to write it as "Timothy B. McCormack aka Timothy "Boy, I Sure Screwed the Pooch and Revealed How Little I Know about Law When I Failed to Present a Rational Argument Before the George Supreme Court and Ended Up Looking and Sounding Like Daffy Duck Overdosing on Nitrous Oxide" McCormack."

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »
ahhh, so nice to see Mulligan, it's been to long! I couldn't help but think of my friend the other day while perusing youtube..

Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »
This was great news and shows the legal system still works if the Justices will take the time to look at the evidence in context and not just selectively edited and cropped posts and pictures.  It was pretty clear cut with the 7-0 ruling.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Peeved

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
Matthew, congratulations to you and your legal team for this very important victory for free speech and the right to express what's on our minds.

All of us online can breathe a little easier, knowing that at least in Georgia we can now legally poke fun at copyright trolls and collection agents like Timothy "Boy, I Sure Screwed the Pooch and Revealed How Little I Know about Law When I Failed to Present a Rational Argument Before the Georgia Supreme Court and Ended Up Looking and Sounding Like Daffy Duck Overdosing on Nitrous Oxide" McCormack.

Disssthpicable isn't he.
 8)

Congrats Matthew...long time coming.

Sandra Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
Matthew, congratulations to you and Oscar for this great win! :)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »
Yes, thanks everyone.

It was two long years getting to this outcome.  Lots of waiting around.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.