Retired Forums > ELI Responses: Media Coverage of Chan v. Ellis Case

Matthew's Appeal Is Now Docketed!

<< < (2/4) > >>

Greg Troy (KeepFighting):
Due to the Holiday, Oscar's busy court schedule and a planned vacation Oscar filed today for a two week extention extending the filing deadline from September 9th to September 23rd.

The way the appeal process works in Georgia is Oscar and Mr. McKenney get to file a brief stating why Matthew's PPO should be overturned based on what was said and presented in the original hearing, then the other side gets to submit a brief why it should stand and finally Oscar and Mr. McKenney get the last word with a final brief.  After that it is up to the courts to decide.

It should be noted that this may not get settled here in the Appeals Court depending on what issues are raised as Oscar, the EFF and others feel the PPO was over reaching and affected Matthew's First Amendment rights as well as it violated Section 230 of the CDA may end up sending it to the Supreme Court.

I will keep everyone posted with any updates.

Edit:
I am referring to the Georgia Supreme Court not the Federal Supreme Court.  Sorry if there was any confusion.

Mulligan:
Greg, thanks for the latest update. Supreme Court possibility --- leaves me speechless.

stinger:
Yes Greg, Thanks for the update.

It's amazing that someone with common sense would not automatically overturn this.  I guess justice isn't always what it is cracked up to be.

Here are a couple of links you may be interested in.

Here is the link to the appeals case with relevant documents.
http://www.scribd.com/collections/4336412/Matthew-Chan-vs-Linda-Ellis-Georgia-Appeal-Case

Today the court granted a three week extention, they gave us an extra week as two were all that was asked for.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/165468233/Chan-v-Ellis-Order-Granting-Extension-of-Time-to-File-Appeal-Briefs

Also so there is no confusion when I spoke of going to the supreme court I was referring to the Georgia Supreme Court not the Federal Supreme Court.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version