Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Marietta Daily Journal Reader Comment: Gun Threat Against Matthew Chan  (Read 10038 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Should Marietta Daily Journal be held responsible for a veiled gun threat made by one of its readers, Southern Patriot, against me, Matthew Chan of Columbus GA, on its reader comment section? Something to think about.

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/marietta-daily-journal-reader-comment-gun-threat-against-matthew-chan/
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Couch_Potato

• View Profile
I do like the third comment from missb1 though.

jhvocals

• View Profile
Latest comment at PDN Pulse from one of the anti-ELI crowd:

"I am fairly confident that whoever posted that ignorant comment about Matthew Chan and the gun is none other than Matthew Chan himself or one of his “cult” followers..."

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Yes, I saw that. No way in heck I would ever do that. The person who wrote that has an overactive imagination. That would be a stupid thing to do to get into those reader comments since I am a big part of the story. Besides, it's not my style to be anonymous. 

I wrote my official response to the MDJ reporter and emailed a copy of my comments and corrections to management but I haven't heard from any of them. Neither has Oscar Michelen.  It appears they don't really care about a balanced story.

I noticed that they removed the gun threat post. I guess someone at the MDJ is paying attention.  We have the screen shot though.  I am really surprised at how active the reader comments are. 

Latest comment at PDN Pulse from one of the anti-ELI crowd:

"I am fairly confident that whoever posted that ignorant comment about Matthew Chan and the gun is none other than Matthew Chan himself or one of his “cult” followers..."
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
LE probably paid to have that article appear...only a matter of time before the editors, managers and that lousy reported get called out in a big way..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Because there are so many reader comments, there is now a "View More Comments" link.  Even Southern Patriot's gun threat against me is shown when we thought it was removed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:21:48 PM by Matthew Chan »

jhvocals

• View Profile
And now all reader's comments have been removed and further comments have been disabled.  Very interesting.........

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
Someone posted the entire The Dash as a comment and I am sure LE sent a DMCA takedown when she saw that. Earlier they had deleted a comment of mine advising the editor that under the decision in Matt's case he could be served with an order of protection for the gun post and the one that followed it which also contained a veiled threat.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.