Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: $4,050 for 5 pics on Site that went months ago...  (Read 4292 times)

kerrig

• View Profile
$4,050 for 5 pics on Site that went months ago...
« on: November 22, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
Hello,
The site isnt even live and has not been for months now when I received MY letter.  What fun!!  

Someone suggested I ignore the letter but from what I read here I should respond.  I am in Canada.

Should I respond or not?  

Also, since I am in Canada should I hire Oscar?  They do have an office in Toronto, Canada now and they are asking for payment in Canadian dollars.

Thanks for the advice.

Mathew - thank you.  I will be popping some money over to you shortly because just the fact that I dont feel completely alone with this is worth a few bucks donation.

JPicker

• View Profile
Re: $4,050 for 5 pics on Site that went months ago...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »
A fellow Canuck here.
Got "the letter" back in September 2010.
Hire Oscar.  (tu)

kerrig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
I have just found an update to my situation that may be of interest.  I spoke to my past web guy who built the site in question and he tells me that the images were part of our Adobe CS2 software and part of Adobe Stock Photos which apparently have since gone under and I guess Getty picked them up and so that means when i put this site up we had the right to those photos.  

Wonder what that means from a legal perspective?  I should at least get a letter advising me that Adobe no longer owns these photos otherwise how would I know since when I put them on the site they were available to me as the purchaser of Adobe software.

I have not seen a mention of this on any other posts.  Does anyone know anything about this?
Kg

Lettered

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 05:38:24 AM »
I don't believe a CS2 license included redistribution rights to photos from Adobe Stock Photos. As far as I know, y u still had to pay extra for any images you used. If your web site designer used images from Adobe Stock Photos, he should have made sure you had the appropriate licenses in place.  If your web guy can actually provide receipts for license purchases from Adobe Stock Photos made on your behalf, I would think that would be enough to get Getty off your back.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
Lettered is on the money here. You need to look at the End User License Agreement that came with that software.  I don't know for certain but am pretty sure it had very limited rights for use of the images.  If you had a valid license at the time and the license gave you permanent and perennial rights you would be OK, I just doubt that's the case. 

Kerrig send me an email Monday to connect: xxx
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:46:48 PM by Matthew Chan »

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.