Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: "Cease Communications" request  (Read 10425 times)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: "Cease Communications" request
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Hey, when you update your profile, don't click "No Avatar", ok?  Personally, I think you were just trying to sneak out the back door.

I'm sure your referring to my dog right? I don't know what happened, maybe I got demoted or something. Not even a lime green box either..
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »
Hey, when you update your profile, don't click "No Avatar", ok?  Personally, I think you were just trying to sneak out the back door.

I'm sure your referring to my dog right? I don't know what happened, maybe I got demoted or something. Not even a lime green box either..

I'm not sneaking out the back, sorry but your stuck with me and the only way to get rid of me, is to pay me an extremely high dollar amount...say like 5.00.

The problem with the avatar is the option for no avatar cannot be unchecked, it is selected by default..I don't think that was the "handsome" avatar that Peeved was referring to either.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »
I can't seem to submit an avatar. Do we need to be deemed worthy before we can do that? :(

Peeved

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »

I'm not sneaking out the back, sorry but your stuck with me and the only way to get rid of me, is to pay me an extremely high dollar amount...say like 5.00.

The problem with the avatar is the option for no avatar cannot be unchecked, it is selected by default..I don't think that was the "handsome" avatar that Peeved was referring to either.

THERE is that handsome avatar I was talkin' about! So nice to hear we are stuck with you!

;)

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
I can't seem to submit an avatar. Do we need to be deemed worthy before we can do that? :(

I'm in the same boat. My only radio button says Personalized Picture - No avatar. So here is my Avatar:

};ΒΊ*
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
This issue (avatar) has been addressed before.
Please read the forums...!  lol.

S.G.

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
Idea for revenue generation: a $50 dollar donation allows one to use an avatar.
Got my 50 bucks right here. lol.

link... link... hmmm...
See Matt's second post down here:

http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/buddhapi-has-officially-joined-the-eli-defense-team!/

S.G.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
I tried opening up the avatar and the ability to post images before but then we had some "interesting" images go up which was really a distraction and resulted in some bothersome complaints I had to deal with.

I then restricted the avatar display to myself and Oscar since we were (at that time) the only people in this fight that was willing to "come out" and put our reputations on the line. Obviously, that has since changed since Buddhapi and Mcfilms have generously lend their names and reputations to the cause. And so they have the option of using their own photo or simply get a plain but bright colored box to make their posts stand out better.

There are other valued ELI contributors that I would like to assign an avatar to but it hasn't been a high priority to highlight more contributors simply because Buddhapi and Mcfilms have done such a tremendous tag-team job even when Oscar and I haven't been around.

When I had time, I do privately reach out to different individuals that have a good track record here on ELI to spotlight them. Some prefer to stay low-key, others don't mind the additional visibility.

If you have been a valued ELI contributor and would like to be recognized as such, send me a private email/message and let me know if you would like to stay anonymous or "come out". I will do my best to accommodate you. Just so you know, you are doing me/us a favor by volunteering but I don't pressure anyone to do so.  I am simply happy people are here being passionate and engaged.

But there is no question in my mind that (if you are able to), your message and comment carries more weight when you fully identify yourself vs. doing so with an alias or pen name. Thus far, there are 4 of us who lend our names to the fight. I would like more but it has to be voluntary and organic.

I don't have absolute rules on the avatars, images, and similar issues, only general guidelines that evolve depending on the ELI Forum needs.

But the bottom line is, here on the ELI Forums, the avatar is being used as a credibility-building device, not as a way for artistic self-expression.

Hope that clears up the avatar situation.

I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

lucia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »
Reading the exchange just made me wonder, so I looked and saw I couldn't put one up.  I use an avatar of my cat eating a chipmunk at my blog, but I would put up a real face picture here. Of course it would be 10 years old so I would look cuter. :)

By the way, I understand and sympathize with the "interesting" images issue. I don't know what simplemachines software permits easily, but maybe if it permits you to let people upload avatars after some number of comments (50? 100?) you'll get mostly legitimate images.  It's not a big deal for me though.  I was just curious (and I guess I should have used search!)

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »

THERE is that handsome avatar I was talkin' about! So nice to hear we are stuck with you!

;)

Are you flirting with me?? I'm blushing like a dog over here.. :-*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:38:51 PM by buddhapi »
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.