Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Why wouldn't a Troll request domain ownership data from DBP?  (Read 3805 times)

Rufus T. Doofus

• View Profile
Why wouldn't a Troll request domain ownership data from DBP?
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:26 PM »
Just as a general question, don't want to get into any specifics at this time, why would a Trolling law firm actively avoid making a request for domain ownership records or initiate a copyright complaint through Domains By Proxy?  I've read plenty of posts here and elsewhere that DBP tends to hand over the registrant's data fairly easily when requested. 

I'm aware of a strange situation where a Troll is apparently purposefully avoiding making contact with Domains By Proxy to get the ownership info for a domain name.  It seems like it's part of a strategy or something and I can't seem to wrap my head around it.  Anyone have any guesses?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:07:30 PM by Rufus T. Doofus »

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
Re: Why wouldn't a Troll request domain ownership data from DBP?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:56:50 AM »
Given that I know your situation, I have more than a "guess".  I have a good idea of how these folks work.  They go after the easiest, most attractive and lucrative targets regardless of fault. The hope is that they will simply cave in and pay due to the sheer of defending it.

Unless you have some special communication with DBP, why would you assume that because an event something hasn't happened that it is considered "purposeful avoidance"? If it hasn't happened, it is because they are targeting someone else or have their attentions focused elsewhere. Your assumption that they are "purposefully avoiding" getting information is flawed. It means they are not currently focused on you!

In any case, how would you know they have NOT asked for information from Domains By Proxy and simply sitting on it? Did DBP tell you that no one has asked for your information? If so, why would you question the good news?

Some people are wrought with fear and paranoia. It is almost like they are disappointed when things don't happen when they "should". Most people think that "their case" is so special that the trolls are working 8 hours/day on the case when the reality is that troll efforts are spread across numerous (perhaps hundreds) of alleged infringers at any given time.

As far as I am concerned, this is not a strange situation.  It happens all the time. Trolls get it wrong, they target easy prey, or they have multiple cases going on at one time. I have seen it happen repeatedly over the years. No news is good news and you are overthinking this.  There is no conspiracy over this.

You can't understand it because you are being paranoid and you think someone is focused on you. 3 years is the magic number. Don't overthink this and make it complicated. It isn't.

If you can't stand the uncertainty, you can always reach out to the trolls and self-identify so that the uncertainty goes away although I think that would be stupid.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
I agree with matthew, who gives a shit what the trolls are doing and or thinking? They aren't worth the time of of day. Don't be that low hanging fruit and eventually they will move on ( in most cases)
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »
Agreed, I wouldn't worry about what they are doing. I would keep reading the forums and educating yourself, if they do contact you there are many ways to deal with them outlined in great detail here.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.