Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Agence France Presse  (Read 21535 times)

Cam Winston

• View Profile
Re: Agence France Presse
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Oh, don't worry. Your case is still alive. If you want to call and settle with them, they will definitely speak with you! :-)

I think it's funny. People are upset when they get harassed with letters but you feel neglected and WANT to get letters to let you know if the case is active?  Trust me, it's active!

Maybe because my whole life I have been ignored. I have yet to meet a girl, and my only two friends moved away and don't give a damn about me anymore. My family hates me. And finally, out of the blue, I get someone who is interested in my story. Someone who took interest in a blog that was way underappreciated.

They saw the clever photo I used to highlight an incredible story about medicare supplements. I am not going to lie, I was excited and really wanted to chat with them about it. I read up on their company, their parent company, current and former law firms, addresses of operation, law suits, and even their favorite food. Instead of getting the attention that everyone else got, I get the silent treatment. What does it take, two photos? Three photos? It's all about numbers anymore.

Maybe I was hoping to score a date with one of their young lawyers? I don't know, but things were looking up again for me. Sigh. Sorry for the rant, I will remain cautiously optimistic for now since you guys seem to know your stuff.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:21 PM »
Collectively as a team and community, we have seen a lot but we are not infallible but we seem to do pretty good overall. It doesn't mean things can't change (and sometimes they do!).  We report on general patterns. We also have good instincts in filling in some of the holes.

If they are quiet with you now, it is more than likely they are off chasing other people who are new and lower-hanging fruit. There are thousands of letters out at any given time that are "active".
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

GJanos87

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
So I'm having issue with these guys as well. They're asking for $350 for two images that I had on my website. After calling LCS they assured me theiyre a legit company and that they will pursue legal action if I don't pay them. So I wrote a check for $350 and sent it to the address they had in their email. However within a week the post office sent my letter back saying they couldn't deliver the letter. So I continued to ignore their emails, but they are increasing in aggressiveness. I'm just curious has anyone actually been sued by LCS?

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 09:11:56 PM »
LCS is not the party that owns the infringed material. AS such, they are telling a lie LCS can't sue. However, the folks they represent could sue but I haven't seen one LCS client actually escalate to lawsuit status yet. It doesn't mean it can't or won't happen.  But LCS has been a round a few years now and we haven't heard of it yet.

And regarding the check you mailed, why did it bounce back? Was it a bad address?
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Fennel_

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
So, do you suggest that we ignore their threats at this point, or respond requesting proof of the copyright?

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »
Ignoring the LCS letters is the easiest course of action but that doesn't mean they will go away and not nag you a lot.

dej4872

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 11:24:55 AM »
We received emails and letters from Pic Rights on behalf of Agence France Presse claiming that a blog post on our website included a copyrighted photo.  The post in question was a reprint that we had purchased from Commpro Magazine.  We ignored them.  Now this past Friday, we received a letter from Higbee & Associates claiming to represent both Agence France Presse and Pic Rights demanding 1500 or a lawsuit

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
so heres an issue I see with this... you purchased "a reprint" (whatever that is ) from Commpro magazine, which apprently included the image in question. Commpro may have had a license to use this image, but they may NOT have had the rights to transfer that license to you.. Now if this is the case chances are pretty good that if it went to court, you would prevail as an "innocent infringer" as you purchased the article/image in good faith. Unfortunately a lawsuit would be a huge time suck and be costly, which is where the counter-suit option comes in, it may force their hand to dismiss the case on their end, still a time and money suck, but at least you could possibly turn the tables on them.
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Matthew Chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
Yes, that is a new twist.  PicRights is now going to Higbee & Associates for help on an Agence France Presse image.

Absent more information, the problem I see with this claim is that it implies an image has dual-ownership between PicRights and Agence France Presse? I am skeptical. 

IF THERE WAS a lawsuit, I think Agence France Presse would be the copyright owner.  I am not sure PicRights has any real legal standing in a hypothetical lawsuit beyond being an agent hired to tried to collect money.

We received emails and letters from Pic Rights on behalf of Agence France Presse claiming that a blog post on our website included a copyrighted photo.  The post in question was a reprint that we had purchased from Commpro Magazine.  We ignored them.  Now this past Friday, we received a letter from Higbee & Associates claiming to represent both Agence France Presse and Pic Rights demanding 1500 or a lawsuit

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.