Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: An Experiment Against Getty  (Read 149582 times)

Khan

• View Profile
Re: An Experiment Against Getty
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
 "Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi sed saepe cadendo"

Khan

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »

Khan

Amen.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »

Khan

adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »
Thank you!

Khan
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Absolutley correct and I hope many more will add to this!

Khan

adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 08:36:21 PM »
That is great Stinger, don't stop there keep sending them out. The Washington State AG and Illinois State AG offices would be a great next step.  Thanks for joining in, if enough people send out these letters sooner or later they will take notice especially in an election year.

You know Greg, this was a lot easier than I thought.  Here is my letter:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100538612/Congressman-Letter-s-July-19-2012-for-Scribd

just printed and about to be mailed to two Senators and one Congressman.  Again, Greg thanks for the inspiration.

And I encourage everyone to do the same.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:30 AM »
I just had a thought, after this round of letters to the buyers of Getty I will start sending letters out to the major news networks.  Whenever I actually have time to watch the news it disgusts me as about 25% of the time the image behind the talking head says either "Courtesy of Getty Images" or just plain "Getty Images".  I am going to let them know that as long as they are getting their images from a company that uses extortion as a business model I will not shop their sponsors.  I will also send letters to any sponsor of a newscast I see that has the Getty Images tag on a photo.

This is one where I will definitely need your help with as the sponsors will not listen to one lone letter writer.  I will post sponsors and addresses as I find them or if you all see a sponsor you can list it here and I will be happy to do the leg work to get the address of where to write.  I work so much it is hard for me to be here for the evening news.

--Greg Troy

Moe Hacken

• We have not yet begun to hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
ESPN appears to have some connection with Getty Images. Many of the images on ESPN Wire are attributed to Getty Images:

http://espn.go.com/espn/photos/wire/_/id/10/mlb

ESPN is one of the planet's largest television networks. They have channels all over the world in different languages. They may not be aware of Getty Images' embarrassing shakedown program and may not like being associated with that kind of stuff.

It would be interesting to hear ESPN's comments on Getty's extortion letter program. ESPN is a very jealous guardian of its own trademarks and copyrights and works extensively with organizations that are also extremely sensitive about intellectual property.
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »
Whoa, I know they deadline I gave to Getty has come and gone and I have started the campaign I promised but something interesting just happened.  I decided to go back to the Getty site and enter my information again not expecting to see any change and it no longer takes me to the payment page.  It stays on the same page and tells me that “This case is not available for online payment.â€

It doesn’t say that the case is cleared or closed just not available for payment.  Any thoughts?

--Greg Troy

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 11:50:55 PM »
I say to try it again during various times especially during the workweek during normal business hours. It's possible the system is down for maintenance or after-hours.
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »
Will do, it will be interesting to see what it does.  Hopefully it will kick over to case closed but I doubt it.

--Greg Troy

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
Or they've decided to file.

:'( 

But don't worry. If that is the case I have a feeling you have enough friends around here that would be willing to help out. I know I'd kick in what I could to the Greg Troy defense fund.

;D
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
Thanks guy, I appreciate that.  If they think I am fighting hard now they have no idea what would happen if they try to take me to court.  I think I would have to do an Aloha Plastic Surgery on them and file a counter suit.

Hopefully they are just deciding to let it go, I am a man of my word and if they drop their claim I will stop my campaign.

--Greg Troy

SoylentGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
My personal opinion is that even if a troll decided to file, they'd never intentionally take the option to pay off the table.
It would be very bad if a troll made it impossible for an alleged infringer to settle.
Also, now we have the screen capture... lol.

S.G.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 09:02:11 PM »
The image in question in my case is part of the Stone Collection with 97K+ images, the actual owners of the image are GK and Vikki Hart and from what I can find out online all of their animal photos were registered in bulk, add to the fact they refused to provide the proof requested and in my letters I said I would be happy to discuss this matter as long as they would show proof. With the recent Masterfile case, Getty’s already poor reputation in court I really think they would be asking for it if they were to try taking it to court. 
The wording of the message is what is weird and hard to interpret because I remember that Loserboy posted he paid 100 bucks and settled, his message said something like - Thank you for your inquiry and payment, we consider this case closed – or something to that effect, I do remember his message said the case was closed though.

@SG I have the screen capture safe and sound. ;)

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.