Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: An Experiment Against Getty  (Read 149799 times)

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
Re: An Experiment Against Getty
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
An image in the public domain IS free to use. Just because GI engages in the scummy practice of selling images in the public domain does not mean that they hold a copyright on the image.

But like you, I have completely stopped doing business with GI and MF as well as iStockPhoto (a Getty subsidiary). Last month I managed to divert two other clients from iStock purchases to Pond5 for their stock footage needs. I plan to vocally continue to do this and encourage others to do so as well until the large stock companies change their business practices (or die).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:30:53 PM by Jerry Witt (mcfilms) »
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
Okay, so the SEC in their last reply to my request for information regarding the backdating of stock options by Jonathan Klein in the top level managers at Getty images was denied. The lady informed me that they never release their reports as they are private, but then she says you can request the information through the freedom of information act and gave me a link on how to do it. I have drafted my letter and will be mailing it tomorrow requesting that the SEC provide me with all documents regarding their investigation to the backdating of stock options by Jonathan Klein and other top brass at Getty under the FOIA.

So we will wait for the results and I will let everyone know what I find. Here's a link to the letter if anyone is interested:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114385651/SEC-FOIA-Request-Redacted
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
Tonight I received a reply from the Securities and Exchange Commission to my request under the freedom of information act that all documents concerning the investigation of the backdating of stock options by Jonathan Klein and other top officers of Getty Images be released to me.

The SEC has accepted my request assigned me a case number and has started working on getting the documents. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I find out anything more. Here's a link to the letter I received if anyone is interested:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/115836326/SEC-FOIA-Reply-Redacted
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:39 PM »
Happy Hannakuh Mr Klien!
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Jerry Witt (mcfilms)

• View Profile
    • Motion City
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
Persistence overcomes Resistance!
Although I may be a super-genius, I am not a lawyer. So take my scribblings for what they are worth and get a real lawyer for real legal advice. But if you want media and design advice, please visit Motion City at http://motioncity.com.

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:19 AM »
Good job, Greg!

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »
Thanks guys, looking forward to getting the report and seeing what's in it.

I am still trying to get my hands on one of their contributor agreements that they are willing fight court orders to produce and pay big bucks to settle class action lawsuits with contributors rather than let anyone see it.  I suspect that if it was released people would find what a raw deal it is for the contributors.

--Greg Troy

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
Great work Greg!

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
Thanks Oscar!  I hope I get the information by Christmas :)

Great work Greg!

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Well, still nothing yet from the SEC, I was hoping for a Christmas present from them and I imagine they are shut down now until after the first of the year.  Oh well, hopefully shortly after the first :)

--Greg Troy

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2013, 01:36:50 PM »
While reading the posts in another thread I came across something I thought was very interesting. A post by cranky fish where he cited a Federal District Court opinion on a case contained something I thought was very interesting. While citing the history and the facts of the case the court made a reference to the "Extortion Letter" that was initially sent out and made this comment about it.

This Court must be very careful to treat all attorneys with courtesy and not launch missiles. The Court, however, finds a portion of the letter from the Kansas attorney to be frankly disturbing. No person, especially an attorney, should be even mentioning a possible criminal prosecution in an attempt to collect money in a civil dispute. Extortion is theft by threat if a person obtains property of another by threatening to accuse anyone of a criminal offense. This is not only the common law but is a statute in South Dakota. See SDCL 22-30A-4(2). It is also a specific grounds for disbarment in South Dakota.

I would like to thank cranky fish for posting this district court's opinion as I am going to modify all of my complaint letters I have ready and waiting should I receive a letter from Mr. McCormack and also the complaint letters I have ready to go against Getty images and Lisa Wilmer to include this Federal District Court opinion.

For those of you who are writing complaint letters I would recommend including this in your letter in some fashion and here is the link to the entire opinion provided by cranky fish.

http://www.sdbar.org/Federal/1998/1998dsd033.htm

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:55:43 AM by Greg Troy (KeepFighting) »

--Greg Troy

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »
Great catch Greg!!! Seattle attorney Timothy B. McCormack would probably shit a brick, if this little snipper was included in a complaint the the 3 bars he's admitted too...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
My thoughts exactly, lets not forget to include Getty Cheif Council Lisa Wilmer  when responding to a getty complaint.  Don't want anyone to feel left out, just sayin... ;)

Great catch Greg!!! Seattle attorney Timothy B. McCormack would probably shit a brick, if this little snipper was included in a complaint the the 3 bars he's admitted too...

--Greg Troy

Mulligan

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
Cranky fish and Greg, excellent find!

I've added this important statement to my preparation folder for a declaratory judgment, which is my route of continuance if I ever hear again from the collection goons at Getty Images or from that copyright troll and collection agent Timothy B. McCormack or his paralegal Ashanti A. Taylor of Seattle, Washington.

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:29 PM »
I have also included the fact that Mr. McCormack references cases that have no relevance to the Demand Letter to try and scare people with fear of huge court judgments against them and include a copy of Oscar’s beautiful letter to Mr. McCormack.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/115619890/Oscar-Michelen-Defense-Letter-to-Timothy-B-McCormack-Demand-Letter

--Greg Troy

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.