Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Another infringer and action I took with Getty  (Read 4820 times)

Akeia

• View Profile
Another infringer and action I took with Getty
« on: October 05, 2011, 02:52:38 AM »
Got standard letter which stated I was "previously notified of your unauthorized use of imagery . . ." This was first letter. Was very disturbed and felt "guilty" because I did use the image on my website. Can't remember where image came from but probably from my library of photos I've saved for my own enjoyment from my subscription to John's Background Switcher. It didn't even occur to me at the time nor until I got the GI letter that this was a violation. But, after reading letter and resisting the "ouch" of the fine and wanting to defend my case, I admitted I had legally, but innocently and unknowingly, infringed. Avoided it for few days.

I pretty soon took image off my website though at first dreaded the time to do, come up with another image, etc. Wasn't as bad as my dread anticipated it. Decided to call GI and admit guilt but also that I was an innocent and naive infringer. Told her it was removed from site. Woman was actually very cordial and cooperative but unbending, as you know. Asked if I could work out a settlement. She offered $625 vs. $750 initial fine if paid by XXX date. I thanked her but told her this would be very difficult to come up with but I'd look into it.

Talked to some friends and family and researched topic on internet (thank God we have forums like these!!!!) b/c something inside me said, "Wait a minute. I must have some rights, here. Lots of people are bombarded with photos on internet and nowhere does it say you can't use them--to my knowledge. I think these people are taking advantage of people's naivete. They shouldn't put all these photos out there with such an easy ability to "Save as" and, voila, you have the pic in your computer to view, use, etc." (I totally support this idea of a petition that it shouldn't be so easy for "them" to have all these images floating around and so easy to "save as."

In my research, found encouraging reasons to not pay. Wrote GI an email stating what I learned about my rights. Brought up them never warning me to "cease and desist." Asked them for proof of GI's ownership of photo. Told them not a penny was made from use of image. Told them I learned that "the law recognizes that some people 'innocently infringe' others copyrights (as is true in my case). If the infringer proves in court that his or her infringement was innocent, the statutory damages are often dropped."

Their response was something like:
GI is merely seeking the appropriate compensation for the unauthorized usage of our photographer's work.  We will not be able to waive this demand, nor will it go away if not properly addressed. Out of respect to our paying customers, and the photographer of the image in question, we cannot let infringers off with a cease-and-desist letter or with just the cost of licensing. 
Again, our offer to resolve the matter is $625.00.

I replied:
Read your note. I don't feel my rights are considered in this but rather Getty Images is simply dictating one way this can be handled and I have no power or choice in the matter. I will not be sending $625 at this time. I am considering settling it in another manner.

They wrote back but, frankly, I haven't felt like opening or reading it yet. I know she'll basically be saying nothing but that they will continue to pursue this violation.

After perusing this wonderful website -- thank you guys SOOO much --, listening to an hour's worth of two interviews on site, reading A Summary of the Getty Issue in the U.S. by oscar michelen and reading some posts in forum (thank you especially soilent green and buddhapi), I'm feeling more solid that I'm handling this very well. I feel prepared, thx to this site, for what the next steps will be and that's fine. I'm building documentation of steps I've taken rather than just be passive and ignore in case it ever does go to court (which I feel willing to do if it comes to that). Probably most importantly to me is I have asked for "inner guidance" which I'm big on and it has reassured me that I don't need to get all upset about this issue but to take a powerful stand, not give my power to GI. I'm hardly feeling like I have done something wrong/that I'm bad for doing this. It truly was from innocence and naivete. But, now I've learned, won't do it again. Being honest and self-forgiveness is a wonderful, liberating act!!!

Akeia

• View Profile
Re: Another infringer and action I took with Getty
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 03:07:50 AM »
Forgot to conclude that, a coincidence I think not, tonight, a friend sent me an email of a friend who also got similar charge from GI. This friend wants to fight it too and my friend referred her to me. She's going to talk to a copyright attorney. I'll be interested to hear what comes of that. Thought the timing was very interesting that my friend connected me to this person, that we'd both be getting fined at same time. Reminds me that a community of support is such a plus, that we can pool info together and be stronger as a result.

phxsunbum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:29:30 AM »
Please let us know what your friend learned from the copyright attorney.  :-)

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
Akeia,

I am glad you feel the time you spent with our videos helped you and eased your mind. Contrary to what some people believe, these thank you's helps our morale also.  :-)

Thanks for sharing your story and getting educated for yourself.

Matthew
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Oscar Michelen

• ELI Legal Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Courtroom Strategy
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
I agree with Matt - thanks for mentioning that the videos and posts helped.  Matt and I spent alot of time getting this info out here (and are now being helped by SG and buddhapi) and it is gratifying to know it helps

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.