Click Official ELI Links
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support | ELI Legal Representation Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.

Author Topic: Anyone had a run-in with Sanders Law PLLC? Fair use?  (Read 15143 times)

mrmattfoley

• View Profile
Anyone had a run-in with Sanders Law PLLC? Fair use?
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:21 AM »
What an awesome site
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:42:09 PM by mrmattfoley »

stinger

• View Profile
Re: Anyone had a run-in with Sanders Law PLLC? Fair use?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
Sanders Law contacted you on who's behalf?

Your likelihood of being pursued might be dependent on which firm's images were improperly used.  Some firms have done a better job of dotting their i's and crossing their t's with respect to copyright paperwork.

I think the more information you share here, the better a response you will get.

Robert Krausankas (BuddhaPi)

• ELI Defense Team Member
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
It's probably National Photo Group, asshat Sanders is already known to us..I believe NPG deals with "celebrity" images...there are a couple threads here somewhere relating to them...
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

I have a few friends around here..

john82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
I got the same letter on behalf of BWP Media.  It seems Sanders sent out around 40 packets to various webmasters in the last month or so, demanding monetary compensation for copyrighted images.  The guy that runs BWP Media is Paul Harris, who came from Getty.

The issue with Sanders is that they've actually filed around 20 lawsuits in the past three months, so they don't seem to mind shelling out that $400 filing fee to get the webmaster's attention.  The questions I have are; has anyone sent them a letter or called them (as they request in their letter) to see what they're asking for?  If you called them, how did the conversation go? Has anyone had any luck getting them to drop the issue? 

And for the more professionally experienced, how should we respond?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
Looks like I'll be visiting PACER to get these 20 lawsuits that have been filed...Paul Harris and Sanders law are going to get a ride on the ELI karma train..
Most questions have already been addressed in the forums, get yourself educated before making decisions.

Any advice is strictly that, and anything I may state is based on my opinions, and observations.
Robert Krausankas

Greg Troy (KeepFighting)

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Yeah, We Do That.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »
Look forward to learning about them.
Every situation is unique, any advice or opinions I offer are given for your consideration only. You must decide what is best for you and your particular situation. I am not a lawyer and do not offer legal advice.

--Greg Troy

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:44:56 AM »
I realize I'm replying to an old thread here.  I'm sorry if that's unacceptable etiquette in these parts.  I'm not familiar with this forum because I've never been in this type of situation before. 

Anyway, I'm wondering what ever happened in the original poster's situation here.  I see that this is from July so I thought maybe there had been some type of resolution.

I'm in a similar situation and I need advice.  I posted my story at http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/need-an-opinion-on-a-letter-i-received/msg17058/#msg17058

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
Just doing a last check as I gear up for my response to Sanders/BWP.  It looks like they have no filed about 126 lawsuits.  Any further info on the PACER research or some of the lawsuits that have been filed?

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
Looks like BWP Media USA inc. has filed 132 suits, 35 of which are closed ( probably settled) 5 are from 2014.

Robert Krausankas

NotATarget

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
In relation to the "letter" I received from BWP, I continue to try and follow what's going on with other cases as the number keeps increasing. One that caught my attention is:

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/candce/3:2013cv03627/268872

IANAL, but it appears some are fighting back. It's just hard to tell how many, and under what circumstances. Does anyone have any idea?

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
What caught your attention about that one?  I don't know if I understand what is happening with it.

Matthew Chan

• ELI Founder, "Admin-on-Hiatus"
  • Administrator
  • 1st Amendment & Section 230 CDA Advocate
    • View Profile
    • Defiantly
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
No worries here.  Old threads are perfectly fine to add and reply to as long as they are relevant. We don't consider it bad etiquette on our forums.  Relevance is generally the key measure, not time.

I realize I'm replying to an old thread here.  I'm sorry if that's unacceptable etiquette in these parts.  I'm not familiar with this forum because I've never been in this type of situation before. 

Anyway, I'm wondering what ever happened in the original poster's situation here.  I see that this is from July so I thought maybe there had been some type of resolution.

I'm in a similar situation and I need advice.  I posted my story at http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/forum/getty-images-letter-forum/need-an-opinion-on-a-letter-i-received/msg17058/#msg17058
I'm a non-lawyer but not legally ignorant either. Under the 1st Amendment, I have the right to post facts & opinions using rhetorical hyperbole, colloquialisms, metaphors, parody, snark, or epithets. Under Section 230 of CDA, I'm only responsible for posts I write, not what others write.

Dave_ATC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
Hello All,

Sorry for bumping such an old topic but it's relevant to my situation.

On the side I'm a film critic and run my own website. Last June I received a demand letter from Sanders in the mail claiming I used an image on my site that was copyrighted. I spoke with a co-worker who was a criminal defense attorney who told me it was a demand letter and not a lawsuit.

Initially when I received this, I reached out to a few colleagues who run very big and famous film websites and they were contacted by the same law firm claiming the same thing, but chalked it up to being a possible hoax and trying to extort money. 

I didn't hear from them again.

On August 5th, 2014 I got an email from the same company claiming the same thing. Again I made sure it was just a demand letter and not a lawsuit, it's even signed by a paralegal and not an attorney, which I was told is a bit fishy as well.

What's the best course of action here? I've reached out to a handful of attorney's to seek advice.

Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it.

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ExtortionLetterInfo
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 08:10:45 PM »
read the forum, get educated, watch the ELI videos, then decide what to do.

Robert Krausankas

JLorimer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:21:34 PM »
Hello All,

Sorry for bumping such an old topic but it's relevant to my situation.

On the side I'm a film critic and run my own website. Last June I received a demand letter from Sanders in the mail claiming I used an image on my site that was copyrighted. I spoke with a co-worker who was a criminal defense attorney who told me it was a demand letter and not a lawsuit.

Initially when I received this, I reached out to a few colleagues who run very big and famous film websites and they were contacted by the same law firm claiming the same thing, but chalked it up to being a possible hoax and trying to extort money. 

I didn't hear from them again.

On August 5th, 2014 I got an email from the same company claiming the same thing. Again I made sure it was just a demand letter and not a lawsuit, it's even signed by a paralegal and not an attorney, which I was told is a bit fishy as well.

What's the best course of action here? I've reached out to a handful of attorney's to seek advice.

Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it.

I have actively followed BWP since receiving my own letter from them.  Check out the progression in my posts if you like.

Official ELI Help Options
Get Help With Your Extortion Letter | ELI Phone Support Call | ELI Defense Letter Program
Show your support of the ELI website & ELI Forums through a PayPal Contribution. Thank you for supporting the ongoing fight and reporting of Extortion Settlement Demand Letters.